Fire across the street..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fire across the street..

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 7:38 pm

There is a fire across the street. I might be off line for little bit.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fire across the street..

Post  Admin on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:58 pm

Hope everything is ok. Let me know if I can do anything....considering I'm a short drive away...but not a drive tonight...I've had a few beers on the deck...since the sun was out. Smile

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://migrainehelp.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 5:30 pm

Thanks Milo Smile

Well it was sight to behold, and scary.
The power went out about half an hr after I posted about that.

It was the house across the street, two houses away from mine, so very close. The police later told it was a grow-op.
Probably too much power caused an electrical shortage which caused a spark in the wires.
So in a way, very good that it went up in flames! No more junkies looking for a fix on my street!
Although they were discreet enough - my daughter was sure it was a grow-op, all suspected.
There was hardly anyone in the house ever, sometimes strange people would come and go at strange hrs, and just last week the police were there three times.
And our TV reception was always poor-ish quality.
The guys who installed our PPVR told us it can happen when there is a grow-op around, so... there you go!

Anyhoo, so a neighbour called the fire department b/c of the heavy smoke coming out of the attic.
And not a second too soon! a few minutes after the firemen arrived the smoke went heavy and first flames showed up
on the roof.

Putting up the fire proved difficult though, because the houses in my area were built a good 50 years ago, with power up on poles, not grounded, so the electrical wires go from house to house attached from houses and the roofs.

Indeed at one moment we heard a loud "CRACK !!" when one thick wire from the burning house started writhing like a snake
and spouting white sparkles like a firecracker! and then fell down.

Then 30 seconds later we all watched, petrified, as the powerlines along the street caught fire and horrible hisses traveled the wires above house to house - scene out of the movie! and continued to burn,
and after another 30 or so seconds the porch lights in every house affected started to flicker on and off- another scene
out of horror movies!
Then the police and firemen shouted at us to move back! move back! and we did.

Once the wires burned thru, it took just about minute an a half,
one or two of them started falling down the ground still live, and one of them fell right down on my neighbour's car
which was parked in the driveway directly across me, and slightly burned the car's body.
(the car was insured, of course, and the fire dep., will issue the necessary documents.
still, damn scary to see your own new-ish car being 'electrocuted' in front of you thru your windows, you just standing by helpless and freaking out if the wires wont fall on your house as well!)

Really scary stuff, if you ask me.

I happened to be out there watching with the neighbours at the house burning and the fire being put out
when the wires went down,
and for a while was cut off from my house by thick bushes.
My daughter was alone at the house at the moment, and I was worried about her, worried if the wires won't criss-cross
and reach our house, too! or worse, cause a fire inside as well!

But then with the help of a stand-by woman we found the opening in the bushes and I squeezed by to my house, lol.
We were safe, as it turned out. Only the wires running along the street from pole to pole were affected,
not the ones off-side connected directly to the houses.

In the air the smoke, the debris was no too bad. Still I could taste the soot in my mouth for a while.

I don't know how long it took to put out the fire b/c we were hungry, and we had to go to the restaurant to eat.
The fire started around 6-6:30PM, at past 7:30PM when we left they were still fighting it.
We came back around 10pm, it was out, only the electrical team was working on restoring power and the police
was investigating the grow-op. Probably the fire guys the cause of the fire, as well.

All in all it was scary as heII.

When it hits so close to home, then you don't think "if" the fire will be put out or "when"
but
"when you are going to be next" - it's very unsettling, to say the least.

I was especially scared and wondering about ppl living right next to the burning house.
Their houses had to be sprayed with the water to be protected from being burned as well, naturally.

I hope they didn't get any damage, in the end. From heat, nor water. OR smoke.

whew...

Don't want to experience something like that ever again, nor wish this on any of you!

ps.

I have a camera home so I can show you the piccies now.

The first flames:

The fire took mostly in the back.
the firemen pulled their water hoses thru the front door and around to the backyard and to most of the work was done there

that's the fallen wires:

My dork husband thought it would be funny to strike a pose:

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 8:13 pm

Wow! I bet you were worried! Great pics. Does smoke trigger your head?
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Sun 10 Apr 2011, 1:54 am

Well I stayed away during the short time of a heaviest smoke,
went out only after it cleared away, so it's hard to tell
in any way whatever happened yesterday didn't trigger me M, no.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:46 am

RISA!!!!!!! Shocked

I'm sorry I had some personal issues I was dealing with this weekend. Between that, catching up on my sleep and finally having a nice day to be outside I didn't log on.

How horrible!!

What is a grow-op??

As I was looking at the pictures my horror was growing and then I saw the last one...and it made me smile Razz
Dork hubby is funny and cute!
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 11 Apr 2011, 6:35 pm

I still can't get over it being so close Risa. I remember when my brother and sister lived across the street from me. Their place got hit by lightning and started on fire. It was a huge building and the lightning hit just above my brothers head while he smoked on the balcony. The energy went down into the electrical and started a base fire. He and my sister then had to run through the building getting people out, because it was an old building that always had false alarms so no one was coming out of their places.

They lost pretty much everything and then they, their roommate their cat and their very large snake all came to live in my tiny one bedroom apartment while they waited to find a new place. Tiny means TINY around here! We were stepping all over each other.

It taught me a lot about moving on after losing all your personal belongings. It also has you scared for quite a while after you see it happen.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 8:11 pm

That is so imaginable and horrible, Milo!

At one point my daughter did asked me "what are we gonna grab first?", but thankfully
after all nothing happened since the flaming wires did not reach our house, nor the fire has spread out of control.

I don't even want to imagine what it's like to lose all of your life possessions Sad

But you, you are such a good person Milo - you would take everybody under you wing, even me! I love you
THANK YOU !!!

What is a grow-op??

A "mary jane" illegal grow operations, kitty cat, you know! Laughing

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

Wow, that was some excitement Risa, but very scarey! I'm glad the grow op caused the fire, and you won't have a problem with them any more, we're having so much of that happening in Calgary. A year or two ago, a grow op house burned to the ground along with four or five houses surrounding it, all reduced to ashes basically.

Glad you were all ok, thanks for the neat pictures.

Ruth
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Wow, Ruth, how horrible, what a tragedy!!
So many houses, and all of them burned to the ground, oh no! I hope there weren't any people injured in the fire as well?
Still it is so bad to lose your house in the fire, all your possessions, lifetime possessions, some of sentimental value
impossible to replace Sad

I always worry about my books and my scrapbooks, family photos and other tchotchkies I gathered
over the years in great numbers that are dear to me, even if monetary value of- is zip, zero, nada.
I am not sure if I would be as sorry for losing my beautiful jewelery pieces I collected over the years - not expensive pieces,
and just silver, mostly, but to me oh so pretty - as much as my 'paper things'.

A week ago, our local free paper delivered an article with detailed map of houses doing a grow-op currently in the area.
Sadly, my hubby threw the paper out for recycling before I had the chance to read it! oops :[

So, I am not sure if they continue the grow in the burned house after fixing the damage, but I don't think so,
as the cars stopped coming and going at all sorts of hrs in the day and night.
I hope it's not only temporary...

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marion on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

I am totally confused. I have hit a language barrier here in Oz. Grow-op equals smack house?? Manufacture of illegal drugs or growing of marijuana? how can they publish addresses and not be closed - I think I'm up the wrong garden path here.

Glad your house wasn't damaged though.

marion
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

. Grow-op equals smack house?? Manufacture of illegal drugs or growing of marijuana?

Grow-op is a short of 'growing operation', it's a marihuana growing house.
I have no idea how this law in this country works that cops can know very well where it is, the press can publish the addresses
and still nothing can touch them bad guys...

scratch

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top