The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire

2 posters

Go down

Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire Empty Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire

Post  milo Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:07 pm

I've found a new joy in watching some of the "reality" shows these days. I'm not silly enough to believe that there is not a whole lot of scripting involved, but these shows glorify kindness and giving and I've really been enjoying them.

For those who have never watched, Undercover Boss has a CEO go undercover to try to understand the issues that their employees are dealing with. This one is pretty scripted, but overall it gets me teary pretty much ever show. The ends are the best, because that's when the boss "rewards" the people he/she has been working with.

Secret Millionaire takes a successful millionaire and places them in a lower income area. At the start, they were sending them to other cities, but lately they have been keeping them in their own area (which I think is awesome).

They are given a weeks worth of welfare monies and an apartment suitable for the environment. They then spend the week trying to live off the tiny sum of money while exploring different volunteer opportunities. They of course end up encountering various community agencies. In the end, the donate between 100 and 200 thousand of their own money to the programs. So far every show has been a real tearjerker for me.

It's also highlighted some really cool charities and made me think about what I can do with myself in the future.

Anyone else watching these shows? Or know of other ones like it?
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire Empty Re: Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:32 pm

I think I came upon The U-B once or twice and was really interested, unfortunately both times I couldn't watch it,
but it sounds like something right up my alley, too.

I think it is another good idea (similar in a way to a Crash Test Mommy) to show the privileged people what it means
to be on the opposite spectrum of the stick.

It help lessen the gap between those clueless on top to those way down forever battling bureaucracy and lack of money
and whatever adversaries as well.

I usually bawl at World Strictest Parents, used to to "move that house", etc, and other shows, too lololol

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down