My Beaker ran away but we found him

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Beaker ran away but we found him

Post  milo on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:11 pm

My little guy is a rescue. Well, both my dogs are. We went to visit the in-laws and my MIL accidently let my little guy out. We have been working very hard on his recall, but it's like a switch just turns in his head and he's off.

It was sooooo terrible! He even got ran over, but because he is so small he fit under the car and just kept going. There I was, trying to chase him on my bum leg, in flipflops and a pair of jeans that wouldn't stay on.

I got thrown the keys to the truck, but we were parked up a winding tree-lined mountain driveway which needs to be driven down very slowly, so I chose to chase instead. The neighbor kid, who we didn't know, started to chase him as well, and thank goodness he did, because we were on the side of a mountain and there was no way I could keep up in my condition.

We only managed to keep an eye on him, but couldn't catch up. I was having a heart attack, crying my eyes out, and clueless as to how to get him back. He was so close to traffic and I was pretty much freaking out.

Finally the truck made it's way down the mountain and skidded past him, screeched to a stop and we were able to nab him. I can't tell you the relief that came over me!

We are going to get a trainer now because we have to figure out this recall because we could not stand to lose him again.

Here is a picture of him chilling after we caught the listtle pain in the butt.

milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Beaker ran away but we found him

Post  kimsmom on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:30 pm

ohhh Milo how frightening! I would have been crying my eyes out too as I was giving chase. It takes a lot out of you I am sure. I hope you did not injuer yourself with running. I would have done the exact same thing.

I wanted to tell you that we have a trainer with Barkbusters. I am not sure if they have them in Canada but it is worth a try to look into it. We paid a little over $400. for a year of training. He came about every two weeks in the beginning to once a month and now we have not had him since January. Just did not find the time plus Jake was "fixed" during that time.

We are looking at walking skills as well as jumping up on people. Jake is a big dog and can scare people who are not dog lovers. Plus jumping up on people is something that needs to be curbed.

Your pup is a cute one. He looks no worse for ware...as they say. So glad he was not actually hit by the car/truck. Ahhh, I bet your heart was racing!

Glad all is well now.

kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:36 am

Ditto, how very terrifying !!

I can imagine how horrified you were Milo, watching your little doggie running hither and dither and not being able to get him!
But you did, and thank God for that!

Barker does looks so dearly cute :]
awwww

And I agree that training him will be a very good idea.
I don't know Barkbusters but it does sounds very promising. Well worth looking into that.

If not that, have you ever heard of Cesar Millan? He is excellent animal behaviorist and trainer.
And has many books out, and DVD I believe, too.

Another book very very good and worth reading to better understand why your dog behave the way it behave
and how to fix it, is by our own Vancouver dog psychologist and behaviorist - Stanley Coren
How to Speak Dog.
http://www.stanleycoren.com/

This should be The Doggie Bible for every dog owner out there,
even those who has had many many dogs for many years!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beaker

Post  lentils on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 7:50 am

I'm glad you caught up with him. He looks like a cutie --and like he's planning his next adventure, look at those eyes!

lentils
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

We had a rescue cocker spaniel, Lady (yes, highly unoriginal but my son who was 10 at the time thought he was very clever), who would do the same thing. Scare the puddin' out of us. But she would come running back to you only to get within 2 feet of you and veer off again. Oh, how hubby would curse!

The only thing that saved us was she LOVED to ride in the car. So, I would go driving down the street with the side van door open yelling "Lady, go bye bye" at the top of my lungs. Eventually she would see the van and jump in.

We finally got an invisible fence, though that wouldn't have helped you at your MILs.

I'm so glad you got your baby back.
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 8:51 pm

I'm seriously hurting from the chase. I ended up wearing my leg brace again for the day because it feels like my knee is giving out.

I've completed a second fence in the yard. The first fence is for our own yard and the second is a back-up for the whole compound...just in case he somehow gets passed our fence.

I cannot explain what was all going through my mind watching him racing away up the road, crossing streets totally unaware of the danger. Little bugger!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top