When you have kids and dogs it's always something

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When you have kids and dogs it's always something

Post  Paradox on Tue 10 May 2011, 10:51 am

We have three basset hounds. Two geriatric, we rescued them as seniors. One, Big Boy, is 15 years old and weighs close to 100 pounds. Not fat, he is a big muscular boy. Yesterday the Invisible Fence malfunctioned and he took off. Hubby didn't even know Big Boy was gone until he got a call from some four wheelers. They found him trapped in a mud bog almost a mile from our house on their dirt track.

They said there was water on top of the mud and they think he was close to drowning from exhaustion. They got him out and called hubby (so glad we have our phone # on his tags) Hubby went down with the pickup and they had to use a lawn chair as a stretcher to carry Big Boy, he was too weak to even stand. It was several hours before Big Boy could even raise his head, he was so exhausted. (had I been home, I would've brought him right to the Emergency Vet, but I didn't get home til midnight and I got him to eat and stand when I got home. Hubby is more of a wait and see kind of guy, and in this case probably saved us about $300.).

I will never, ever complain about the noise of the four wheelers again. Big Boy surely would've have died, from either drowning, heart attack, exposure or the coyotes would have got him. It breaks my heart to think of him struggling so hard, 100 pounds trying to move with six inch legs. Hubby said he had been mowing for three hours so Big Boy could've been gone that long!

Right now he is fine, highly pissed because he had to take a very long shower and he is still locked in the bathroom And I still didn't get all the mud off but my back gave out. He was covered with mud and ticks. I feel like I can't get clean and keep looking for ticks on me.

I had to work on my day off yesterday so I took the day off today. At 9:00 am the phone rings. It was Roberts work. Robert is my 22 year old handicapped son. He had had a bloody nose which is very typical. What was atypical was his blood pressure was 166/112 pulse 107! I called his Dr. Immediately and the Dr said to get him to the Emergency Room right away. By the time I threw some clothes on and picked Robert up his blood pressure was back down to 125/85. Called the Dr back and we are thinking Robert got upset because he didn't want his co workers to see his bloody nose, not the high blood pressure that caused the bloody nose.

Years ago Robert was seen by an ENT and they said he has very thin membranes his nose. If it becomes a problem we can cauterize it but I hate to do it.

So now I'm laying in bed, headachy, with my back spasming. I thought I was taking the day off to kick back and relax. Silly me! Mad
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When you have kids and dogs it's always something

Post  milo on Tue 10 May 2011, 11:40 am

Wow...that is by far too much action for me! I hope all three of you are on the mend.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela on Tue 10 May 2011, 12:46 pm

((((charlotte))))))

you can't say your life isn't interesting........

Well, you are kicking back now Rolling Eyes hope you mend fast and have a good book.
Angela
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother on Tue 10 May 2011, 1:42 pm

Exhausted just reading your post! Hope your back and head calm down................pets bring such joy to our lives but there are those days when it is like having a 2 year old in the house! L

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue 10 May 2011, 2:46 pm

Just got done with another round of tick removing...... Mad Oh they love those big basset ears!!!! But the vet said to get as many off as I can and when he's completely dry put another dose of frontline on him. She said the rest will be dead in 24 hrs.

I'm just starting the book "My Life" by Keith Richards. I didn't realize he was a really good looking guy until about 1982. Reminds me of the before and after meth mug shots. Have you ever seen those? Wowza!
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 10 May 2011, 3:51 pm

I thought I was reading a real book, Charlotte!
Have you ever thought of writting those family settled novels?
your message have everything - drama, scare-y, tears, heart pounding suspense, happy reconciliation!

woosh, what a day you have! I hope for the rest of the day you will have some peace and quiet and your back
will calm down - fingers crossed.

I am so relieved in the end both your 'Bassie' and Robert turned out good.

Big Wheeler Truckers, whoever you are, may the lucky stars will always protect you on your trips and in your life!
What a great men and/or a women you are, to stop and help a little helpless animal.
My hat is off to you. Thank you!

Now about the ticks- I am always very nervous at the mention as the Lyme is much more rampant and dangerous
than doctors like to believe it. I hope you took special care not to get bitten, Charlotte!

Sending good vibes to all of you, including surely rattled as well hubby,

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Wed 11 May 2011, 1:41 pm

10 more ticks this afternoon. I'm getting immune to my eebie jeebies of them.

He's getting a professional flea and tick bath tomorrow afternoon. When I made the appt. The Lady said " Big Boy?!? OMG, is he still alive?". Big Boy is famous for being so big and so friendly, and SO hard for her to get into her grooming tub. LOL
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Thu 12 May 2011, 1:58 pm

Update: This morning Big Boy was in a bad way, pacing, panting, agitated. He wouldn't eat. I was worried about heart failure since he had been so exhausted and had put up such a struggle.

So, he went to the vet. His heart is "great", no temp., but at one point when she was pushing on his leg the poor guy yelped. Diagnosis? Pain. Poor guy. She said in humans it's often a couple days after a workout that we feel our worst and it's the same way with him.

She said especially since he is "ancient". 15 for a basset is very old, especially for a big guy.

So she gave him an injection of pain meds and tomorrow he starts on rimadryl. He is no longer pacing or panting and is resting comfortably. She did have me cancel his bath so as not to stress him any more than he is.

Also, she saw one of the ticks and said it was an American dog tick that DOES NOT carry Lyme disease. Phew! I got three more off him today. I've turned into the tick pickin Queen! queen
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Thu 12 May 2011, 4:59 pm

Softest hugs for Big Boy and his dedicated Mum, Charlotte!

yeah, I get what you mean - its' like starting new workout regime,
and having those never before used muscles exercising vigorously. Man, does that hurts for the first few days.

Big Boy is 15! wow, that guy is tough!! you take good care of him, Mum!
cheers

and great news about the ticks kind. whew, you both are safe.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marion on Thu 12 May 2011, 7:10 pm

Ah Paradox - and we wonder why we have headaches!

My life is similiar - it never stops.

My latest head banging episode began when we started cleaning out at work.

Twenty years of computers and paraphanalia got put in the back of my car to be taken home where I had some room to see what still worked.

Nothing worked of course, which is why they got thrown on the pile in the first place, except for 1 tower which I knew worked, 1 monitor, 1 keyboard/mouse. To give an idea of how much there was, I pulled out 5 harddrives just from towers.

So connect all this up at home as home computer has died. No phone lead for internet, old one has disappeared. Ok. Days later manage to get one. Ring internet provider for passwords, user names etc which have been put somewhere safe eons ago, no hope of ever finding them. On hold 20 minutes, run out of time to continue once I get them.

One week later, have time, fire up computer, old monitor now won't work - which is probably why it got put upstairs in the first place.

Ok monitor now on shopping list.

Get new tv. We live in the dark ages and have never had a flat screen until now - it's my birthday soon, so present to self. Never had a tv in the lounge before but there is a plug for aerial which antenna man 2 months ago assures me is live when paid him good money to connect digital antenna and cable for digital tv which has come to OZ. Antenna isn't connected in lounge. Husband crawls under house to connect and reroute cables.

Old stereo doesn't connect to the new tv. Buy cheapest dvd/surround sound I can find. Features say you can transfer cd's to usb's via this new dvd player. You can but left a lot to be desired. Now need computer as matter of urgency to download music for birthday party which is why I needed the computer at home in the first place!!!!

Connect good computer tower to new tv. Now have the world's biggest tv monitor. Looks pretty snazey. So bring desk out from spare room - my kids have left now so have empty rooms. Set up computer, tv, dvd, keyboard/mouse on old desk.

This is the point I am now at before coming to work this morning. Cannot lift desk with all the "stuff" on it back that last foot without hubbie, so still not real sure it all works!!

Still to get internet, still to sort music!!!

So if you have managed to get to the bottom of this saga I will give you a progress report if I have managed to connect all the wires properly!!! LOL - it won't you can bet your life on it. I will have mixed something up.

The point of this story - I think I have banged my head on a brick wall over this at least six times in the last few weeks - no wonder my head hurts.

Cheers Marion

marion
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 13 May 2011, 6:48 pm

Marion, this is all what I can say ..... good grief !!
Good luck with connecting the wires!!!!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Fri 13 May 2011, 10:24 pm

Marion, we have a closet at work like that. We call it the computer graveyard. I laughed when I read your description cause I recognized it. I have SO many passwords floating around this head of mine!!! 20 years worth.

I have completely downsized at home. I used to have the router, the home network, the works. Now we all get by with a single iPad. Life is much simpler.
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top