The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine?

5 posters

Go down

Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Empty Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine?

Post  kimsmom Wed 18 May 2011, 9:13 am

I am on it now for high BP but it sure would be nice to get some relief from the headaches too. My headaches have been getting a touch worse over the years and I am now wondering if it is because my BP has been getting higher over the years.

If anyone has had any experience with Benicar could you let me know...

Thanks,

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Empty Re: Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine?

Post  milo Wed 18 May 2011, 8:22 pm

I have not heard anything good or bad about it. How is it working so far?
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Empty Re: Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine?

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 19 May 2011, 12:26 am

kimsmom,

i've been off and on Benicar or Benicar HCT as part of my cardio-vascular treatment (treating that treats my migraine problem to a great degree).

Benicar is an ARB, and the most potent ARB. It does work well for lowering bp and the vascular system, however it gave me serious brainaches.

you probably won't know until you try. ask the doc for samples.

two others that are ARBs which can help with migraines are Cozaar and Atacand. i'm currently on Atacand and have taken Cozaar before. in terms of migraine relief i think cozaar worked the best. it's generic now too.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Thu 19 May 2011, 9:40 am

Wow thanks PF for all the info on Benicar and ARB's. Thanks Milo for asking.

I just started Benicar two days ago. I will take my third today. So far so good but this is early. I am almost afraid to say I think, (and this is a big think!) it may be helping. I am so afraid to say this and then poof it was just a hopeful thought.

I hated to hear that it gave you headaches PF but I know you also have had a lot of experience with these. I will write down the other names you gave me and if this one proves to give me too many side effects I will ask to be switched. It was given as a BP med not a preventative so I am just hoping for headache relief too. One can only hope! I just do not want weight gain. The last BP med I was on Propranal (sp) I think it was called made me gain 8 pounds in 2 weeks. I never lost it. I am very mad about that!

again everyone thanks for your thoughts,

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 21 May 2011, 10:37 pm

good to hear! hope things continue.

Benicar is a very good med for hypertension, and it seems to help vascular h/a quite well.

take care!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 22 May 2011, 6:52 pm

I've never heard of that, is it something new?

BP medications, like Propranolol for example work very well for some M sufferers so I hope this one will work for you KM.

Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Finger11 Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Finger11 Benicar- anyone on it or tried it before for migraine? Finger11

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Mon 23 May 2011, 9:04 pm

Well the Benicar is going to the way side. It has also caused me terrible headaches that my pain meds do not touch. It also causes me at a moments notice to use the bathroom. I cannot work like this so I called the doctor and tomorrow they are going to try another BP med. I have written down the two other ones PF has suggested and maybe they will go with one of those. I just do not want one that will cause weight gain!

I will let you all know the outcome...

Thank you for your thoughts....

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:37 pm

Oh, sorry about that sweetheart.
Hopefully another one will be more successful.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Wed 25 May 2011, 5:48 pm

remember the classes of blood pressure meds.

propanolol, atenolol, cardivol, etc are beta blockers.

some are ACE inhibors like Altace and lisinopril while others are ARBs....Aticand, Cozaar, Benicar, Diovan.

These BP meds aren't a lightweights--they are very powerful medications that aren't designed originally to treat migraines, but cardiovascular problems. it does take some time to adjust to them, and often you do have to try different meds. But if you have migraines of vascular origin, which migraines have a vascular component then sometimes there is a benefit.

Benicar is the strongest--not exactly the wisest on the doc's part to nail a patient with the strongest ARB out of the box--especially when the side effects are listed. i'm positive that HEADACHE is listed as the first.

in most vascular meds, headache is a primary side-effect.

good luck!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Thu 26 May 2011, 8:11 am

KM..thinking of you. Praying, that you will find a new medication that works and has tolerable side effects. I love you Greeneyes

Greeneyes
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Fri 27 May 2011, 3:12 pm

Thank you again all for your thoughts and information.

They put me on Diovan PF. I have taken it now for three days. I hope this one works without side effects like the Benicar. I am taking it for BP but a little help on the migraine front would be a wonderful kickback.

Has anyone been on Diovan before? PF? I asked for Cozaar but you know they cannot have it be your idea! My insurance will not pay for it so they gave me samples until they hear back from the insurance co. They sent them a form to approve it. Why not just give my the ones on my plan and at last resort try to get an override?

Thanks again.

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Fri 27 May 2011, 9:58 pm

KM,

I've been on Diovan before. It did work well--both for BP and I think it did help for migraines. I know Cozaar is now available as a generic, but I don't know if the generic works as well as the brand. With my insurance, brand name Cozaar was running 55 bucks a month/copay for a 30 day supply. I may be going back on it as my BP has dropped a bit on Atacand. I have to wait until after the holdiay as these meds for me are nothing to let an amateur play with.

Good luck!

PF.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Sat 28 May 2011, 8:51 am

Thanks PF, I was hoping you would see my latest post. Otherwise I was going to PM you to see about the Diovan. So far so good but it took about a week for the other one to give me the side effects. I hope I can stay on this one. So far no word on the insurance. They said it is a three tier. First tier the insurance pays and it would cost me $5.00. This is normally for generic. Then 2nd tier that she said normally runs around $20.00. Then third. If it is really expensive I am going to ask for the Cozaar again.

Good luck with your BP dropping. I hope you can go back on the Diovan if that is a good one for you. Like I said before, a little help in the migraine dept would be great.

Have a good Memorial Day. Again thank you for all your help on my post.

KM
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down