Legal marijuana and pain contracts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Legal marijuana and pain contracts

Post  Paradox on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

Next year I'm going to be in Amsterdam. I REALLY want to go to a coffee shop (what they call the head shops). But I don't want to flunk my pee test either. The nurse practioner said today that in the last two years they have terminated 60 pain management patients, most for having illegal substances in their urine and the rest for having NOTHING in their urine (that surprised me when I first read about that. But nothing in the urine indicates they are either bingeing or selling their pills. She said it's sad, but in this economy they're seeing more and more of it).

I think since I'm not by nature a good liar (my stomach gets all icky) before the trip I'm going to come out and ask my Dr. if I can partake since it's legal in Amsterdam, and we're only go to be there overnight.

All he can do is say "no", right? He's a nice guy too, he's not going to treat me differently for just asking. For example, the NP today said the both encourage patients to look for things on the Internet because it gives the patient more of a sense of being involved in their health care. Every other Dr I've had has gotten PO'd when I bring up something I found on the Internet. He does not have an ego, not always something I've found in neurologists!
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Legal marijuana and pain contracts

Post  Sara79 on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

DH freely asked our PCP about it, since he's in California on business quite a bit and has migraines too. His report back to the doc was that it's really doesn't do much for his migraines, but it really helps his anxiety and stomach troubles.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

Charlotte.

It takes at least 2 weeks to a month for the residue to leave your body completely. I know people who have tried to flush it out of their systems to keep their jobs and have been unsuccessful. If you have only tried it once, it may only take the two weeks. No guarantees.

What do you expect it to do for you?

MJ is not an analgesic. It is a mind altering drug and will make your thinking go wonky for a while so you will actually just forget your pain for about 2 to 4 hours. So, try it if you like, but go knowing what to expect and what the consequences will be. The pain will still be there when it is over. Hopefully you won't have pain in the first place.

Have a great time. I love Amsterdam. My father's birthplace.
Enigma
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:23 am

Hopefully I won't be headachy when I'm there. When I stayed in London for awhile in then late 70's I had a very hard time with auto emissions and the subsequent migraines and nausea, So I'm curious if this will help the nausea.

I will only do it with my Drs permission. I decided i'm to much to of a chicken to enjoy the remaining vacation without worrying about that. pale
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

marijuana

Post  lentils on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:29 am

Marijuana is semi legal in Australia-it's on the books as illegal, but the police won't bother to arrest you unless you're causing a problem. I tried it when a migraine was coming on. It delayed it for 24 hours. I didn't bother to smoke it the next day to see if it would delay it another 24 hours, I just decided it didn't work for me. I would like to try the pill form, but no one's offered it to me.

lentils
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

I wish I could try that for my migraines....
I am a bit in a "dumpster" these days mood wise, so I sure would use a bit of haha along the way...

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

marijuana

Post  lentils on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

Maybe if there were some studies done, esp to determine the correct dosage, marijuana could be useful.

lentils
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steph on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Well, I will totally admit that I tried it for the migraines! It made the thumping worse and then I became totally paranoid! (Likely because it had been many many years since I had any and didn't quite remember how it made me feel!) It was not fun, and I was not relaxed. I really just wanted it to be over. (Ha, I also considered trying LSD, BUT didn't go that far!!)

A friend of mine died from Cancer several years ago. He had been prescribed Marinol, the THC tablets. He never used them claiming they didn't do anything for his pain, and just smoked joints. Yes, he did obtain the MJ illegally, but he was dying from cancer-who cares??? His wife offered me a few left over pills to try. And, yes I took one or two. (This was several years ago). I was so desperate at that time, I was willing to try just about anything. I ended up pitching them. I didn't notice a decrease in pain what so ever. I didn't notice ANYTHING at all from them! No wonder he didn't think they helped!

I am wondering if the level of THC in those pills is just so small. Maybe they have a regressive effect, and you have to keep taking them to notice anything??? My vote is try it, if you won't be in trouble for it! Maybe it will work wonders for you! Maybe it will suck. In the long run, if it does work for you it just might be cheaper and easier to get!!! LOL
steph
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

I've heard there are two types of marijuana, sativa and something, one makes you happy the other anxious and moody.
Maybe it was the other one that you happen upon, Steph?

Or, some pple just don't react well to it. Maybe it's like with the opioid enzymes, who knows. I have a friend like that who tried the same kind as I had, and I was laughing and having great time after which nothing happened to me while she had nightmarish hallucination and was afraid to sleep...

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

In college I used to get very paranoid while on it. But when I have a migraine, boy oh boy do I wish I had it on hand to try for the nausea. silent
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

i don't think i'd risk it.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Between the nerve pain and migraines, MJ is one of the only things that takes the edge off. I don't know what I would do without it. You do have to figure out if Indica or Sativa is better for you. They work a bit differently. I use Indica mostly as it is more relaxing, esp for nerve pain. Sativa will get you revved up so I use that when I have to do something and need the pain relief. They both work for nausea though.

alli
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I decided Porsche Fan.

I can hear the conversation now " Doctor, may I have some extra or stronger pain relief for two weeks since I'm going to be doing much more activity, lugging a suitcase, sitting for long periods, and walking and standing which is so hard on my back? I can? Oh thank you, Doctor. And can I have some cipro and pyridium in case I get a bladder infection? Nothing ruins a vacation faster then a bladder infection. Wow, Doctor, you're the best. Oh, and while I'm in Amsterdam is it okay if I break my pain contract with you and get high? You know it's legal there..."

I think I would feel like a moron ten times over clown

In the past doctors have been very good about giving me the cipro and pyridium since I do get bladder infections so frequently. The doctor trusts me to know what it is.

I'm hoping since we have developed a good relationship that he will give me a little something extra for pain. This is going to be very hard on my back. Sitting, like on the plane and bus is particularly hard on me.

I just can't see pushing my luck and asking about the pot. Even if he said yes, I'd lose some of the trust we have built up.

And if I DIDN'T ask permission? At my next appt. I'd be like Billy Hayes in "Midnight Express" sitting in the lobby sweating buckets, eyes darting back forth, rapidly tapping my fingers on the table humming the "Istanbul Blues". I would be guilt personified.

So, no, I've decided that either way it's not worth it. My doctor is way too good to me to lose him over a one time toke.
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:45 pm

Wow, what the NP told you. I am shocked by it. Good thing I keep referring good patients to him, to make up for the bad ones Smile

I think you are wise to stay away from anything like MJ. Too much to worry about!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

Cheryl, between chatty NPs and Nurse K I learn alot (have you seen K's new forum and Mojos blog?).

I was at my back Dr ( he only gives the back injections, Dr W handles all prescribing) when all of a sudden the lobby was full of security personnel. Even though the patient was within eyesight of me, the nurse said "people get mad when we cancel their pain contracts". She then told me his pain contract had been cancelled cause he tested positive for MJ.

Wow...surely she had heard of HIPPA? I was stunned she told me that. My Mom used to have a face that said "talk to me". She would know the most intimate details of someones life within five minutes of meeting them. Maybe I'm getting that face.
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

I try to keep up with Nurse K, but I haven't tackled MoJo yet. Do you read Serenity Hospital? That one is really shocking. You gotta read it. I like the cop forum (can't think of the name), posted on the bottom of Dr. Grumpy's list of blogs. He's really interesting to read (and funny).

Oh yes, we sure learn a lot from the blogs!

I recently referred another Chiari girl (a teen) to Dr. W. Their family has been through the wringer with doctors in St. Louis. They live south of you. They just LOVE Dr. W, and they put such hope in him.

Wow, the story you wrote.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

Thanks, I'll try Serenity Hospital and the Cop one. Mojo is okay. She's a good writer, but she's s new nurse and still doesn't have the street cred that K has. For those of you wondering, Nurse K is a blogger under the name Crass-Pollination.

BUT! BE FOREWARNED, she is not kind to migraneurs nor fibro patients Evil or Very Mad But, she's gives a perspective on WHY ER staff are not always falling all over themselves to provide comfort and pain meds. Reading her has enlightened me a great deal. And I've seen chronic pain sufferers try to go toe to toe with K. Nurse K wins every time. Have you ever seen one win, Cheryl? Just a heads up.
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

We hardly ever go to the ER (last time was 2007).

I do think medical professionals forget there are brain diseases that cause pain, which has nothing to do with drug overuse or rebound issues. The brain is broken. It hurts. It can't be fixed. People live their lives with terrible head pain, in dark rooms, and very little helps. Possibly forever. Terribly sobering. I wonder if some medical professionals even believe such a thing exists. When they bring up "psych issues" in chronic pain patients, I get very disheartened as a parent. To me it is simple. The brain is terribly broken, and because of that, it hurts. Sometimes very badly and constantly.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

Wow...surely she had heard of HIPPA?

oops.. I didn't.. what is HIPPA, please? sounds hip, though..

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:40 am

I messed up, it is Hipaa. Basically its a law in the States protecting the privacy of patients. So the nurse should not have spoken about a patient that I could see and say anything about that person.

http://whatishipaa.org/
Paradox
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top