The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please learn Heimlich manuever

5 posters

Go down

Please learn Heimlich manuever Empty Please learn Heimlich manuever

Post  Paradox Mon 12 Sep 2011, 11:52 am

Yesterday, hubby, and friend of ours, and his 7 year old grand daughter went to a big apple orchards with lots of things for his granddaughter to do.

We were having lunch and a man came running in with a limp toddler yelling, "Call 911 he's turning blue!"

I was surprised that of all the people that were there I was the only one that ran up to assist the parents. The child was indeed not breathing. I flipped him over in in my arms on to his stomach, head down, and started pounding his back. All the while I was yelling "Is there a Dr or nurse here " (My son calls it my "cop voice" deep, and demanding). Two women rushed in and took over for me. One woman kept him in the same position but really started pounding hard on his back. And soon his eyes moved and he took a breathe on his own. Slowly he went from blue to having some color in his face through very pale.

At this point the woman asked me to go outside and watch her two kids while they waited for the ambulance. She didn't know anything was going on inside the lunch roomuntil she heard me yell. She is actually a pharmacist, but because she works in a childrens hospital she had to take CPR.

When she finally came out the woman and I cried in each others arms. We knew we had saved a life and it was very powerful. I wish I knew the womans name.

She did tell me I wasn't pounding on the babies back hard enough. She said at one point the father asked her" are you hurting him?" She said it was the least of her concerns.

Anyway, my CPR certification is so old and it just reminded me I need to be recertified so I will know what to do if that ever happens when I'm alone with some one.

Last night when we were going to bed hubby said "I didn't tell you earlier, but I was so proud of you today. You jumped in when everyone else just sat there stunned".

P.S. NEVER let a toddle eat a hotdog that has not been cut long ways into quarters. A hotdog is the perfect shape to block a toddlers windpipe.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Please learn Heimlich manuever Empty Re: Please learn Heimlich manuever

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Wow, wow, wow!
So many emotions are washing over me.

First, I am mighty proud of you too, Charlotte for saving a life! Thank you!
And thank you for keeping your head cool and springing
into action when everybody else was too paralyzed to even think.
Thanks to you this child is alive today!

I have never been to CPR course, but I have seen many times how to perform it, also I've seen Heimlich maneuver performed
many times as well. I am ashamed to say that, but even if I done the course, I unfortunately belong to these people
who freeze like a deer in headlights at the first sight of distress. I'd be useless anyway Neutral

Recently I read a memoir by psychiatric doctor Julie Holland "Weekends at Bellevue" where she mentions
her child chocking on a piece of toy (I think), and despite Heimlich being NOT recommended for children she was forced to use it
and in the end it was precisely what has saved her child.

So, probably in the severe cases, when nothing's working and the child is dying, and the help is still ages away,
a careful Heimlich can be justified for children, too?

What a story, Charlotte. I am still in shivers! and in awe of you!
Big kudos to the other people who rushed to help you, too.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

They also recommend not using mace on psychiatric patients. I was in a fight with one once (for those of you who don't know I used to be in law enforcement) and it was a dangerous one. He had pulled a gun on us, but it was not appropriate to shoot back. We got him disarmed, but frankly we were beating the crap out of him and he was wasn't slowing down even though he was in his late 50s. At one point I was on his back trying to choke hold him and he backed up and put my hind end though the front window. Luckily it was a cruddy house and the window gave easily and I wasn't cut.

So my partner finally maced him. We had nothing left to use. And he went down. (unfortunately so did I since I was still on his back and my face was right next to his but...oh well, sh&$ happens).

So when you have nothing else to try, try anything. Like if triptans, topamax, antiseizure meds to name a few don't give a chronic patient relief? Maybe the Dr should try...oh horrors, dare I mention it?....narcotics. Take that Nurse K! scratch (you have to read a certain blog to get that reference, right Cheryl? Lol).
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

So proud! Our own hero!!!!!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon 12 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm

Another FYI. For the hemlich don't try to put your finger in their mouth and get anything stuck, unstuck. What you will do is end up lodging it tighter.

Thank you ladies. The only person I told about was you guys and my eldest son. For some reason it feels too reverent to put on FB. Too much of a patting myself on the back.

I just want to get the word out to get the knowledge so you feel comfortable acting in that kind of situation. I know we get lots of hits here.

Hubby and I were talking today, I guess now with adult CPR they teach you to do the compressions to the rhythm of the Bee Gees song, "Staying Alive". How apropos!
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

Good for you. I was so impressed by your post and the warning about hot dogs etc. that I copied and pasted your post and sent it to my family members who have young kids (hope you don't mind, I left all the other details, your name etc out.).\

I remember when one of my brothers was a toddler (many many years ago) he choked on an open safety pin and turned blue, my mother turned him upside down and pounded on his back. Luckily there was a doctor's office down the road and she ran down there, but the pin came out and all was well, what a scare though.

Thanks so much for sharing Smile

Ruth
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

Hubby and I were talking today, I guess now with adult CPR they teach you to do the compressions to the rhythm of the Bee Gees song, "Staying Alive". How apropos!

Sort of like laughing thru tears, eh?

I like the idea :]

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

In my respiratory therapy program, we're either taught that or 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen. My instructor likes the imagery of 'Stayin' Alive' better, but I'm not a fan of disco.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down