Surgery tomorrow!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Surgery tomorrow!

Post  30yrsofheadache on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Please send me some thoughts or prayers tomorrow (Tuesday). I will be undergoing my breast reduction to hopefully help my neck and head pain. I am a little nervous since I have never had general anesthesia. I had 2 C-sections, so not so worried about the recovery. What can be worse than migraine at its worst? So, I might not be online for a few days after today.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Surgery tomorrow!

Post  Anna's Mom on Tue 08 May 2012, 11:28 am

I wish you the very best, Milo!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Wed 09 May 2012, 12:22 pm

Five days post-op. Had my first actual activity today. I've pretty much been in bed the whole time with a few periods of sitting up on the patio because the weather has been so nice. I intended to cut my pain meds but did so in a very stupid way and as I tried to increase activity. WAs really not wise and I certainly know better.

I feel very stuck here as I cannot actually leave the building without somone with me. (I'm uable to get back in as the doors are too heavy to open). So I was feeling stir-crazy so my friend agreed to take me to a quiet place for lunch, a short drive from my home.

It was very nice to get out but combined with the medication screw up I ended up in a LOT of pain. I then slept all night and most of this morning which is awesome. I created a cocoon of pillows and a foam wedge that put me into a deep sleep and kept me there. I'm at the stage where I want to stretch and move when I sleep and so I need to be very careful not to do these things as they will cause damage.

I will take it super easy the next few days and attempt another outing on Saterday.

As for effects on my head...verdict is still out as I'm on pain meds, so it's hard to say, but I feel as though there will most definately have a positive effect for me. I am scared to even dream it could be true.

So far, even with all the pain, I'm still 100% positive I made a very good decision. Smile

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for all the support!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache on Wed 09 May 2012, 1:05 pm

cheers So glad your are feeling good about it. Although it is a difficult one to heal from, it has really been worth it for me. Keep taking it easy, you dont want to stretch the incision!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Wed 09 May 2012, 3:18 pm

Hang in there ! bom

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Thu 10 May 2012, 9:59 pm

Woke with my first post-surgery migraine today. I'd say that is awesome, though again, I've been on regular pain meds. I took my ergo compound and tylenol 3's and it went away. Not right away, but is did go away.

I"m feeling really crappy and my dear chest is hurting way too much. I suppose it's because I take regualr narcotics so it takes more to get the pain under control. I'm in "can't think straight" pain right now, so I'm going to stop now.

Hope to have a better update soon. Smile
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Fri 11 May 2012, 11:50 am

Be careful with activity. I found that after my back surgery I'd have a day I felt well, and then I'd over do it, and I'd be cranky and hurting for the next three days. After that I learned to stop after a bit, and rest, which actually let me get more done in the long run. Four slow but steady days were more activity than one busy day and three down days.

I'm so glad you think it's helping and I hope you can knock out your migraine. Take care and know I've been thinking about you.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sat 12 May 2012, 8:47 pm

Hi again, I've not been recovering super well, so been laying very low. I'll most definately take your advice to keep the activity down, as the pain has been rediculous. The great news is that the head has been behaving and the neck and back pain is gone (except the aches from laying in bed too long). I think I'm eight days post-op and I couldn't have asked for better result as far as that goes.

Hope to have a good update soon!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 21 May 2012, 9:13 pm

Ok, so I am now 17 days post op. It has been a very tough recovery. I appear to be healing well but the pain has been WAY, WAY more then anticipated. I've done absolutely nothing for almost three weeks and been almost crippled by pain. Certainly not the recovery I expected. I knew that my use of regular pain meds could create the perfect storm for a painful period, but I really didn't expect it to be so long. I really thought it would be a few days of really tough pain.

Now for the good news. Smile I've only had two migraines since the surgery. Two in 17 days. I'm frightened to even think that this may have all be worth it in the end. It's tough to say for three main reasons: 1) I had my botox and nerve blocks about three weeks ago, which means they could be the reason why my head is behaving
2) I've been on regular pain meds, which may also be why my head is under control
3) I've not worked (or done anything) for the whole time

It's way too early to say but I'm cautiously optimistic!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 22 May 2012, 12:53 am

Sorry about your tough post-op recovery, but happy along with you re: your head!
cheers

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache on Tue 22 May 2012, 6:29 am

Milo, I think it is normal for you to still have pain. Everyone thinks they will heal more quickly than anyone else. It is so irritating once you get to the 2-3 week mark and you are not feeling much better.

My friend who had the mastectomy is going through this. She is crying almost daily with frustration. Not because it is a lot of pain, just because there is still some discomfort. I remember thinking I would never feel normal, then one day I woke up much better.

I am sorry you are having the level of pain you are having. I did not experience really severe pain at all (except when I got the infection), even though I had a huge amount of bruising. I was and continue to be on pain meds for Lyme daily, but very small doses. Everyone is different. I hope your pain settles down and your head continues to behave.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 22 May 2012, 5:31 pm

Had an almost good day yesterday but today has been a rough one again. I'm not sure when I should mention that I may need more time to my boss. I have almost two more weeks off. Should I mention it's a possibility now or wait? I left them with the impression that I planned to be gone for four weeks but that it could go longer. My schedule has me booked off "tentatively" for six weeks. I see the surgeon again on the 29th, so it will be a bit late at that point to let them know it may be longer then four weeks. hmmmmm

Thanks for the support!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Thu 31 May 2012, 9:53 am

Well friends, I am almost four weeks out of surgery and I have had only two official migraines. I took my ergotamine combo a few times when I felt that I may have one coming but only ended up with two, and those were in the beginning. Now all I need to do is get back to a regular routine and see if they comes creeping back.

I'm pleased beyond pleased about the results so far. I'm still very sore but definately on the mend. I am very glad I made this decision. I believe it will be life chaging for me!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Almost five weeks post-op. Been a tough recovery. The head is starting up again but still in better shape then before the surgery.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top