The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc....

5 posters

Go down

(Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc.... Empty (Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc....

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 19 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

If you have a hired movers in your house,
they are working for you since like 11 am without a break,
at around 3 pm a nearly biblical flood starts, it's fairly cold outside, still they keep lugging and carrying your heavy furniture
and your lead and brick filled boxes -what do you do,
at one point do you offer these guys a coffee, cookies, sandwiches maybe? and if yes, where?
in your own home,

or you just hand the coffee filled cups with cookie plate to the "leader of the pack" so they can eat it
in the privacy of their spacious semi in peace?,
or -
you leave them alone to their work,
as once they are finished they will go to have their own coffee wherever and if they want to.

Delivery guys - I had my new dishwasher delivered from Home Depot.
I had to pay 50 bucks for it whether I wanted the delivery or not, hence the delivery to my door.
The guys - two young, strapping (and handsome, hehehe) bucks brought the machine right to my very kitchen.

Clueless as I am, I didn't forethought and was totally unprepared - so there was a number of uncomfortable seconds
after the machine was set down, and the guys lingered.
I thanked them of course, multiple times, even, but was baffled for awhile until it dawned on me
they probably were waiting for a tip!

But, heck, I paid for the delivery extra 50 bucks apart from sale, which is not to sneeze at.
Still, I am not a cheapo, I would happily tip them a 10,
only I have no idea if they should have been tipped at all.
Should they?

Miss Fabulous Manners, help, please!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

(Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc.... Empty Re: (Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc....

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:28 am

Risa, I have the same problem. I either end up overdoing it or doing nothing. No help from me, just sympathy!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

(Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc.... Empty Re: (Mis-?) Behaving around movers, delivery guys etc....

Post  Paradox Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:23 am

I usually tip $10. Last time all I had was a $20 and they were REALLY appreciative so I'm guessing it was to much.

I've have always been told but don't know if it's right, that you don't tip the OWNER of a hairdressing shop if she does your hair. Is this true? I tip the gal who washes my hair (and I tip her well. She knows about my M's and gives me a lovely long head massage too).
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

Thanks guys, then I feel now bad for not tipping these sweet guys who delivered my dishwasher.
I just didn't know. I am not cheap, and since I used to work in the service type industry myself (esthetician)
I understand the importance of tipping. Next time I'll know!

Coincidentally, as my workstation was at the hair-shop - and my boss who was the owner of the shop
and also a barber and hairstylist, he got tipped like everyone else.
I am not sure why some etiquette sources insist you do not tip the owner, hmm.

But how about that coffee, guys? I really need to know, please!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

Yes, I think coffee would be appropriate and very well received. Conversely on a hot day a cold drink. No flashing though. That would be going too far.

I think as they're making a walk back empty handed just approach and ask if they would like a refreshment break and hand the coffee first to supervisor and then to whoever would like some. Put cookies on a paper plate so they could take them with to the semi if they chose. I think they would really appreciate that.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:41 pm

I heard you don't tip the owner as well. I heard this just recently on a local newscast.

Hmmmm...the delivery guys is a tough one for sure. I tip food delivery...I suppose it makes sense to tip these folks as well. But I agree with you Clueless, if you are paying 50 extra bucks for delivery....I'd have trouble tipping on top of that.

I know I've offered cold to-go drinks to movers and delivery folks on really hot days. I suppose if I had coffee and to-go cups on hand that I'd offer that as well....but only to go. Things get awkward really fast when you have strangers sitting in your home trying to figure out themselves what the proper etiquette is.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 25 Feb 2012, 2:08 am

i get my hair cut every three weeks. if i miss a 3 week appt., i feel like a hippie (sorry).

i always schedule in advance, but ooops, sometimes I forget. the girl's been been cutting my hair for over 10 years. sometimes i miss...it's due to either forgetting, being tied up, or somethimg comes up that i miss. i always try to give her a head's up f if i do so. and i make it up in next tip.

she's a nice girl, and i usually tip waaay over 20%. hmmm, after i think about it i give her more like a 50% tip.

for other things like delivery of stuff, i might flip an installer 10 or 20 bucks--all depending what they do.

each situation is different, so just tip as you feel necessary. that's not cool if they linger around waiting for a tip.

Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 25 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

Thank you guys!

I just didn't know. like I've said, since i was working in service industry myself I know what's it's like to count on tips
to make your salary. A hairdressers, nail technicians etc they don't make a lot money unless they cater to the celebrities
so the tips are mucho appreciated - thank you!
So I wouldn't skimp on somebody.

I truly regret not realizing these guys hoped to be tipped- and they did look like they could appreciate extra 10 bucks
for a beer on weekend with girlfriend, lol

As for the movers, I was curious why only disposable cups, forgive me for being so blunt,
but is it because people may have for example Hepatitis and you never know?
It is a valid point, though, and they may feel the same way about me and MY cups, anyway.

so from now on I will be keeping coffee cups for such occasions :]
BUT I will offer a hot coffee on cold days to anybody who work hard for me.

And Marc, you are such a great guy! Your hair lady must adore you!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down