What's causing the stupids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's causing the stupids?

Post  Migrainegirl on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:15 pm

A rather alarming story in the Times today. Apparently many of the drugs we take cause cognitive impairment over time. We all thought it was from the migraines, but maybe it's the meds. I checked the list online and both amitriptyline and nortriptaline are in the worst category. You all should check to see if anything you are taking is of this category of drugs.

THE CONSUMER: Cocktail of Popular Drugs May Cloud Brain

Studies find that the cumulative use of drugs that are among dozens of common painkillers, antihistamines and psychiatric medications has been linked to cognitive impairment.

http://nyti.ms/wySepL
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's causing the stupids?

Post  Porsche Fan on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:36 am

a lot of meds can cause the brain to do-do bird itself. i had some testing done while on lyrica and a relatively high dose of klonopin and it came across in the scores.

the docs suggested it was the meds, or the early onset of a memory disorder. only way to find out is to stop taking the meds, let your brain reset, then redo the neurocog tests.

it doesn't surprise me one bit....look what stupidmax does.

it was bad enough that one of profs in grad school recognized a lot of wording/syntax errors that i previously did not have. i took courses from her in undergrad and the output was not of the same caliber. having a stroke too hurts. ugh.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:46 am

Well, I am sure the meds play a huge role in altering the way our brain work, some more some less
however there were times when I wasn't taking a lot of drugs for my M episodes,
just T3 every four hours and I am positive 'the stupids' I was getting back then were definitely from migraine,
because there was ascending and descending level of pain while I continued taking the same medication
yet with different "stupidity" outcome.

So if from migraine episode alone I could easily get so dumb, I am as positive also migraine alone must do something
to our brain that damages it seriously somehow, too.
Hard to say what's affecting the brain more, all that goes on during the whole M process, or the meds -
probably both in its own way, I suppose.

Risa

Last edited by Cluelesskitty on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

Hi All,

I am not surprised by this article.

I know that migraines alone can and do mess with the brain. When I was a senior in high school, I woke up one morning unable to speak or think of words- fortunately, it was only aphasia caused by the headache. I also have times when I can't match the letters on the keyboard with the letter I want to write. This problem was always fun to explain to professors- especially since I have a degree in English.

I think it is a trade-off. Is the pain or other migraine symptoms worse than the medication? I have been down this road many times and I am still not completely sure- though I can tell you that I am better when I am not in severe pain.

Also, now, at least for me, it is hard to figure out what is causing the problem- the fainting, the headache, or the medication.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top