Hello Everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello Everyone!

Post  weeder67 on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

I'm new to the boards. I'm 44, and I have had migraines since I was kid. When I was a teenager, my mother used to me give a fourth of a Triavil if I had a headache and a stomachache at the same time. In my twenties, I used to get Imitrex injections or take the pills. Even though injections worked quickly, side-effects were horrible. Then there were more pills, some sort of inhaler (horrible taste in my mouth), Esgic, Norgesic Forte, Fioricet, Tylenol PM (sometimes you just gotta knock yourself out), massive iron pills that would make me very sick but the pain went away. In my 30s, I started taking Prozac. I was happy and I slept better, but I still had headaches. I would knock myself out with an Ambien for night-time migraine, but if I took those more than two days in a row, I would cry like a baby. I tried Wellbutrin, Celexa, Topamax, Inderal, and then I went through a period where I refused to take ANYTHING. Sounding familiar? Now it's Cymbalta....I went on Cymbalta 30mg about a year ago. It gave me more energy and focus. I liked it, but the headache frequency was about the same....about 18 days out of a month. I just recently doubled the dose after my psych recommended it. It's helping a lot. It's helping with my back pain as well. I just wanted to share in case it might help someone.

The downside of Cymbalta is that it is nearly impossible to stop taking it. I think the drug companies like it that way...

I also wanted to say hello and just extend some goodwill. From what I have been reading, some (if not most) of you suffer immeasurably with migraine....worse than I....

I am so sorry....

weeder67
weeder67
new
new

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post  milo on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Nice to meet you weeder!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

Hello, and welcome to The Fabulous Underworld, Weeder !
cheers

Looks like you've been thru the migraine mill yourself, and know a thing or two about them.
I am 55 lolol and my migraine experience is not unlike yours- desperately searching for relief for years and not finding any,
then finally in my peri- menopause years some standard medications started to kick in - Topamax, triptans
and narcotic pain relivers.

Not that they are miracle drugs that stop my M in its tracks, but they do bring the pain to bearable level and I am grateful
just for that.

Weeder, I am curious about your remark here:
massive iron pills that would make me very sick but the pain went away.

I have never ever heard of Iron pills as (I suppose) an abortive for migraine episode - how did you come upon this, please?

I find it most intriguing!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

Welcome Weeder! Nice to see you post.

-PF
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:39 am

Welcome, Weeder. Thanks for sharing your story. It is always easier to reply to posts if you have a little background on the person. I too have had migraines since I was young. I am now 52. Have tried soooo many meds.Right now my preventative is Inderal. I take Amerge for first line abortive and I have an arsenal of pain and nausea meds when that fails. I hope you will post often. There are great people here.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top