New migraine guidelines published

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New migraine guidelines published

Post  Migrainegirl on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/news/20120423/migraine-guidelines-focus-prevention

It's worth taking a look at these. They have a much reduced list of what works, both medications and herbal.

Lamictal is definitely off. I wish I knew that before it got me so screwed up!
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New migraine guidelines published

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:19 am

I am taking Topamax, so I agree :]

Thank you MGirl, this is very interesting bit of info for us!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:52 am

the sad part is that migraine treatment standards are broadly cast towards the general class of migraineurs.... however most of us aren't general or typical migraine patients.

no single directive given in a paper can help treat a migraine without a few visits--it is truly hit or miss.

topamax, yes i've seen the data can help, or can hinder. it can turn a person into a do-do bird.

hopefully some of the nasitest meds like atypicals like abilify and other have been taken off. i'm sorry if you do not have a major mood disorder, but its questionable how can these meds be helpful it can make you feel worse than before starting.

imo, migraine treatment is behind. we all must continue our research and pressing the doctors.

keep pushing guys.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:18 pm

great points, Marc!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

Have an appointment to see my doc in a couple of weeks to talk about the new guidelines. I am interested in trying the butterbur or the anti-histamine allergy shots. I am very interested in the allergy shots.....my migraines became daily soon after my daughter's cat died. I am allergic to cats and I always thought that histamine played a role in the change in my migraines. We will see what he thinks - I believe in making only one change at a time and I want his opinion on which one I can try first.

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

JM, first I am very sorry that oh, no, your daughter's cat died :[

However, shouldn't it be the opposite, then? - that once there was (very sadly) no more kitty in the house,
you should've had LESS migraines instead, then?

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

Yes.....logically speaking - it seems to me that having the cat around raised my histamine level and maybe that kept my migraine frequency down. So taking an anti-histamine shot to help is not logical. However, nothing about my migraine journey has had much logic so I am willing to literally take a shot in the dark! L

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:50 pm

By golly, now that you've explained it it makes perfect sense!
I hope the shots will help, good luck with it JM!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Butterbur

Post  777Trinity on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

Migrainegirl wrote:wwwwebmdcommigrainesheadachesnews20120423migraine-guidelines-focus-prevention

It's worth taking a look at these. They have a much reduced list of what works, both medications and herbal.

Lamictal is definitely off. I wish I knew that before it got me so screwed up!

I read the article about Butterbur. They state to be sure and purchase a brand that is safe, that there are Butterbur products out there that can cause liver damage etc.

Does anyone know which brands do not have PA's in them?
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:23 pm

petadolex is PA free.............enzymatic therapy is one supplier

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks JewishMother

Post  777Trinity on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 6:46 am

Jewishmother wrote:petadolex is PA free.............enzymatic therapy is one supplier

Thanks for the info!!
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

777Trinity wrote:

I read the article about Butterbur. They state to be sure and purchase a brand that is safe, that there are Butterbur products out there that can cause liver damage etc.

Does anyone know which brands do not have PA's in them?

mainly what makes homemade Butterbur products so dangerous , it may contain a cancer causing ingredients.
Usually those available in health stores and other approved by FDA are free of this agent.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

Bump
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:47 pm

Note the glaring omission of Botox from the list. It has been my opinion for some time that it is pretty much a scam foisted on migraineurs desperately seeking a solution by Big Pharma playas Alergan, who have made a vast fortune from peddling it as a migraine drug. First they rammed it through the FDA -- running a second set of clinical trials after the first set showed it was no better than placebo. The second trial did a little better and they got (or bought) their approval. Overnight every neurologist in the US and UK was on it (good $ for them too, they can bill insurance a lot for Botox sessions).

In 3-4 years I think it will be "off the shelves".

Alergan's latest scam is Levadex, their shitty DHE inhaler which has been failing FDA approval over and over. They have been telling their nervous stockholders that approval will come soon and it will be another blockbuster, but really? If anyone gets relief from DHE (and who really does?) they're already using Migranol or the injectable version.
Platypus
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:22 am

If it's a scam, it's one that has saved my life. I would have killed myself long ago if I hadn't found the Botox. It takes me from a state of wishing for death to wishing for a better life. That is a huge effect. I've been getting it for 2-3 years at least now.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

WOW, I didn't know you were on Botox Milo. Well I think Botox is like Neurontin, which strikes out completely in clinical trials. I've seen enough personal testimonies to know that Neurontin works wonders for some migraineurs. But clearly it's a small subset. 10%? 5%? I think Botox is even less.
Platypus
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 3:13 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for posting these.

It shows just how little we really know about what will prevent a migraine. There are only six preventative drugs on the list. None of them were originally developed for migraine- the preventatives fall into two classes- anti-seizure medications and heart/blood pressure meds. only one of the medications listed has helped me at all and that is depacon. I am glad they ha a ve changed the guidelines, but it does show that more research needs to be done.

As Marc stated- treating migraine is basically a game of trial and error. It is also a diagnosis of exclusion-meaning that there is not a medical test for it. Plus what works for one patient will not work for another. The neurologist I saw at the Cleveland Clinic, went through my history and informed me that I "have been on 79 different medications for migraine in 15 years." So nothing he could or would do would help. This is not what you want to hear- but I have heard similar things way too many times. Shortly after I was diagnosed with migraine, I saw a local neuro who said "This combination of meds works for 95% of my patients. Unfortunately, you are the other five percent."

So basically, we continue playing the game until we a- find something that helps, b. find a way to control some of the symptoms and still have a life.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top