The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unable to understand others- anyone else had this

3 posters

Go down

unable to understand others- anyone else had this Empty unable to understand others- anyone else had this

Post  sconesail Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Hi All,

Tonight, I had a pretty scary experience. I was talking to my roommate and, suddenly, I couldn't understand her. I knew she was speaking English, but it sounded like a foreign language to me. I could talk, but it was weird then I passed out. When I came to, I still had some trouble understanding her, but not as much. I was, however- very scared. My roommate was scared as the same thing happened to her before a grand mal seizure. I took some klonopin. Her mom came by. I recovered fairly quickly.

I am not sure what to do anymore. I will call both neuro and GP tomorrow. I have had trouble speaking, trouble reading, but never trouble understanding before now. it is just so frustrating. The good news is that the pain is down. the bad news is that the migraine is still around and scarier than ever.

Anyone else experience this?

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

unable to understand others- anyone else had this Empty Re: unable to understand others- anyone else had this

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

Scone,

I think they should look at your carotids for flow. Carotid Duplex Ultrasound. This to me seems more in-tune with syncope than migraine.

Any graying of vision?

I'm not a doctor, just play one of tv.

-PF
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

unable to understand others- anyone else had this Empty Re: unable to understand others- anyone else had this

Post  7777Trinity Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:20 am

Scone
Have you been diagnosed with Basilar Migraine? I have, this type of migraine effects speech, motor skills and comprehension. It can manifest with "stroke" symptoms. The first time this happened to me was after a particularly bad seige of migraine, I had trouble walking and I could not speak. It was very frigtening.

Google Basilar Migraine for more information, arm yourself with information and then ask about this with your Neuro.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

trinity,

part of basillar migraine workup includ differential dx is to do carotid ultrasound and select return venous and arterial flows.

given scone's history, this is something that any neuro worth their salt will look at. even the ER would schedule this.

basillar is quite scary. i have complicated as of last moron neurologist i visited. i do not have a neurologist involved--cardiologists, interventional cardiologists, and vascular surgeons. neuros don't specialize in this, and they outsource the carotid/vascular studies to the vascular surgeons.

neuros are the "middle men" when it comes to this stuff. unless it's stroke related, they are back to the guessing game.

i'm living with the results of a stroke from the guessing game, so i'm a bit opinionated.

i just got another stent in my right coronary artery keeping me alive, so i have little room for neurologists that just sit in their offices and guess. Testing gives answers, not wild ass guesses.

sorry if i'm gruff.

-pf.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:04 am

PF

Your not being gruff, just being sure all the bases are covered, I get that. I mentioned Basilar because I thought it might be a component of the overall picture.

This thing we all deal with can come from so many directions, making the source or sources so hard to nail down.

I hope you have a painless day today Smile
Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:20 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

I have heard of Basilar Migraine, just never thought of it as a possibility. I looked it up and I do have a lot of the symptoms. I am definitely going to have it checked out. I am seeing a new neuro next month and I am definitely going to ask him about the carotid ultrasound. If he won't do it, I may see if my GP will.

It has been a very rough week- and I am so tired of dealing with all of this. I know there has to be something we can do to better manage the pain and other symptoms. Heck, switching up pain meds would be ok. I just want to be ok somedays.

Pain free says
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:26 am

Scone, get on these people!

With aphasia they really should be looking at blood flow. An MRI would be nice, but that's out due to the stimulator. A duplex ultrasound is a more intracate test vs. a doppler ultrasound.

get your dad involved on this. you've had a change in symptoms, or at least a change. you're old enough they need to be looking at the great vessels anyways. don't sit and wait. get on the phone and order them.

if you're brain gets zapped, and zapped, and zapped with low blood flow it does cause damage. the neuro should order it right off the bat and certainly should the GP.

where's the hold up in the diagnostic process?

i am impatient by nature, so i'm apologizing ahead.

Last edited by Porsche Fan on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i needz to go to skool to lern to spel.)
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the advice.

PF- I have never had anyone mention the blood flow thing- but it makes complete sense. I am seeing a new neuro on Feb 11. I will see if he will do or at least order the carotid ultrasound. If he won't do it, I will see if my GP will.

I know that loss of O2 to the brain can cause damage. Heck, it may have already caused some minor damage. I will see if we can at least get this done. If it is blood flow, I wonder if there is anything that will either increase oxygenation or blood flow.

I am so tired of having to go through this. Dealing with the drs and then forcing them to do their jobs takes up a ton of energy, but I know it has to be done.

The headache is still bad.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down