UPDATE I had a skiing accident.....opps

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UPDATE I had a skiing accident.....opps

Post  milo on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:30 pm

So....I'm on vacation and we went skiing. I was on the top of the mountain and took a really bad fall.

I needed to be rescued by the ski patrol. Fun stuff.

I'm not in my own province (state) and needed ER.

I've done a complete tear in my mcl and have cartilage frags on my knee.

They wanted to do surgery today but then the doc decided I should fly home first.

So now I'm all bound up in splints and waiting to fly home.

2010 has not been my year....lol

Last edited by milo on Sat 28 May 2011, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UPDATE I had a skiing accident.....opps

Post  Angela on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:43 am

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say goodbye to 2010. Hope 2011 serves you better.

Not a good way to get special attention.
Angela
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Topix on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:08 am

Milo,
2010 has been one of my worst years too....
I hope that you're safely home and that your knee will recover completely soon
Topix
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Thu 09 Dec 2010, 10:42 am

As I expected, my wait will be much longer here. I'm sitting here waiting to be booked to see the ortho surgeon. Fun times.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sat 11 Dec 2010, 12:37 am

Wow....I'm in a lot of pain. I think I may even take it easy tomorrow. lol. I may just start my gingerbread cookie baking. Wink
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

I ended up in ER over the weekend as I lost feeling in the injured leg. I now have an appointment with an ortho surgeon on Thursday.

I have a gut feeling that it will take a very long time to get the surgery. As in, a few years. I really hope I'm wrong.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 6:22 pm

Hi Milo,

I just saw this thread. I am so sorry about your injury. Will it really take years for the surgery?

I hope you're not in as much pain.

All my best,
£eslie
lesherb
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 7:53 pm

Well, I'm not sure at this point. I saw the surgeon on an "urgent" referral this Thursday. Normally an urgent referral would take about a month or so longer.

Sadly, he needed to send me away because my leg was too swollen to do a proper assessment. So I'll need to return in another four weeks.

I've been forced to take time off work. I'm 100% against this but do not have a choice as working is making my leg swell and my pain shoot through the roof. I've agreed to be off until the 3rd. For now. I may then add on some vacation time and extend it. It depends on the progress I see.

I was given the thumbs up for physio and started the same day. I called around until I found a place that had weekend hours and that could start immediately. I've had two sessions and it's been very, very painful but I have already seen more range of motion in the joint.

I'm at about 90% likelihood of needing the surgery and it will take a very long time to get, I'm nor sure how long just yet. The fact that I'm very active and completed a half marathon this summer works very much to my advantage though.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 9:04 pm

So sorry to hear that it has gotten so bad Milo! My god what a tough year for you!!

It does make me wonder though....you had problems of a female nature that required you to settle down and maybe put your feet up and rest, but you were very dedicated to your job. Has that settled down, or is this some secret forces way of making you sit down for a while?

Just wondering. Tell me if I'm sticking my nose where it doe'sn't belong.
Angela
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 9:51 pm

Ha ha, no Angela, I've had that problem still as well...in fact, while I was up on the mountain waiting to be rescued all I could think about was if I was springing a leak as I was very overdue for a washroom check and worried that I'd have to find a way to explain the additional bleeding from the accident.

I know I could definately use the break. I needed to complete the course work for the special course and I have. Now I need to do the applied work and that can wait. I'm going to be doing a group for male survivors of sexual assault. We won't start screening until the new year.

I've had a few days to come to terms with the fact that I need the time away from work.

Luckily I'm booked quite light over the next few weeks as it's the holidays. I'll find it very tough to relax, but I'll find a way. I have a few new books to read and a bunch of DVD's waiting to be watched.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 9:00 am

Well, have a wonderful holiday season and glad to see you can see the lemonade from the lemons.

Get better fast.
Angela
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 11:09 am

Being a sedentary person myself, I can't imagine not liking the time off ;-) I am just wondering if waiting for surgery is the best bet. Won't you heal improperly and possibly do more damage?
lesherb
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 3:27 pm

Ok Guys, I'm at home and already going crazy. I swear I'm not a workaholic. lol.

I just like being busy. I also find that busy keeps my mind off of symptoms. I find this true for my clients with mental health symptoms as well.

I went in to tidy up loose ends at the office. I called many of my patients myself to explain the situation rather then have my receptionsit do it. I find the patients are much more receptive to that. I've left it open ended, as I don't know when I'll be returning. I don't have endless sick benefits, but I do have quite a bit. I've enquired as well about taking some vacation time in January, but I know there are some tricky rules about that, so we will see.

Did I mention I had nerve blocks and botox on Friday as well? The whole shebang! What a crazy week.

It's going to be so hard not to do anything except physio.

I think I am going to sit down and do some art work. It's long overdue. You guys may not know this about me, but I'm actually quite a talented artist. It's just that I never have time at the end of the day to apply myself to it anymore.

At any rate, I suppose I'll be around here a bit more...lol
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 3:33 pm

Milo....you should display one of your pieces of art as your avatar! I know I'd love to see it.

£eslie
lesherb
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:23 am

My most favorite piece I never parted with, so it still hangs in my office, so if I pop in there I'll try to take a picture of it ok. Smile I'll search around my old hard drive and see if I have any old promotional photos kicking around.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:30 am

I would love to see it
Angela
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 4:01 pm

Ok, so I've missed a few days of work now, which means I've sampled at least a few hours of America's finest day time television. Wow, there is a few hours of my life that I will never get back!

The topamax has numbed my mind enough to tolerate Jerry Springer for more then one minute, long enough for me to witness the fact that he has a closing comment...which is really funny, because it seems as if he tries to be sincere....ha ha...too funny.

Gotta go now....DNA results continue on Maury.....lol
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:03 pm

I'm still off of work!!!!!

I can't believe it. I'm not happy about this one bit.

I saw the surgeon again today and he injected my knee with steroids. Hope the pain is under control enough from this to return to work. I hate this. Sad
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

The needle worked wonders and now I'm back at work full time! Yay
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Sat 29 Jan 2011, 10:41 pm

yippee! I hope it keeps helping as much as it is right now!

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Fri 18 Feb 2011, 9:32 pm

The injection started to wear off at about week three but the pain has since subsided again. It may be partially because I have had to decrease my workouts because of my constant bloodloss.

The surgeon has said he would like to wait another three months before cutting me up, because he thinks some of the issues may still resolve themselves. I'm not so sure, but who knows. If effort pays off then I'll certainly be healed...as I've been working my butt off.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Sat 28 May 2011, 9:50 pm

So I have not given a knee update for a long time.

I am still awaiting surgery. To all of you that think our Canadian healthcare system is grand...let me say it is not.

I have made a lot fo progress. I don't wear a brace unless I'm doing something questionable..that would possibly cause me knee to move in any direction other then just walking.

At the beacj this week I culdn't help but try and run a little. I mean...how can you not try to run when you are on a beach like I was. I managed a bit and with pain afterwards, but not too bad.

Today I went to the track. I worked-out for 45 minutes...little spurts across the football field, walking and side stepping. I also did the stairs of the stadium and then went to the skateboard park and tried going up and down the steep smooth cemented bumps. I saw my phsyio minutes beofre I worked out...just in case you were questioning my judgement. Smile

My knee can't straighten now, but I'm only in minor pain. Overall, I'm quite happy with the work out. Maybe I'll be able to ride my motorcycle afterall this summer.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top