Staying positive with migraines. What do you do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Staying positive with migraines. What do you do?

Post  milo on Mon 06 May 2013, 7:18 pm

We all know how tough things can get when you are dealing with migraines. We all do different things to cope (some healthy and not so healthy). What kinds of things do you do to stay positive?

For me, I try really hard to focus on the "haves" rather then the "have nots". I also try to put things into perspective, or to reframe things by looking at people who also suffer but somehow manage to stay positive. I look for the good in people even when they annoy the crap out of me, and I try to give sincere compliments at the start of interactions with people I struggle with.

I've also learned over the years as a migraine sufferer to accept the fact that I am not superman! I allow myself to have down periods and sometimes let things go for lack of a better option.

What do you do to stay positive?
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Staying positive with migraines. What do you do?

Post  Porsche Fan on Fri 17 May 2013, 10:49 pm

At this point I don't know what to say. It's rough. I just don't have the migraines, but a zillion of other health issues. All of them impact migraines. I've just learned to deal and accept.

One of the "scary" or difficult mechanism (and this is a coping mechanism) is to read and research. My Dr. appointment end up discussing very in-depth issues and we've lost track of hey, I'm the guy suffering.

That's part my fault. I treat my health problems like a business problem. It's been effective. I saw a doc last week that refreshingly said, "holy sh1t, I've never seen a person with this many documented and verified problems." I have a good rapport with the doc, a neuro-opthamologist and he came out and said, "sh1t, we should take you out back and shoot you."

Weird stuff, but par for the course.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Sat 18 May 2013, 8:22 am

PF-

The docs and I tend to do the same thing. If it's a typical day, and I'm not in for the last try (before the Colt-45) injections, we talk shop. I know they've gotten to the point where they've forgotten we're discussing me, and not talking about a pt with another provider, just by the look in their eyes when they look up again, and see the pt.

If they knock and I'm hiding under the hoodie and the dark glasses; or worse, hiding in a dark exam room, they don't even talk much, just enough to ask if there's anything I need besides the injections.

It does help.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity on Sat 18 May 2013, 3:38 pm

I am terrible at being positive about this illness. I am sitting at my keyboard, trying to catch up with the "monster" knocking on my head already.... I hate this.

I did get out and work in the garden this morning, planted sweet potatoes and some new tomatoes too. The peas and beans are coming in and so are the carrots. The cabbages look great, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower. My peppers already have buds on them. Bunches of onions too Smile

Now, I am headed to the medicine cabinet, going to try an allergy pill and some Motrin first, if that doesn't head this off I'll have to go for the "big guns"....

There has to be a CURE....right??? I mean somebody has to know how to stop these and I bet they sold their med to the FDA or some drug company that has stashed that cure away so they can keep making the big bucks on our medications.... I feel the same way about cancer....there is a cure, it just isn't financially a good plan for the drug companies for that to come forward.

Sorry, I am getting pissy right now....

Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Sat 18 May 2013, 4:53 pm

Trinity- it's completely OK to be angry, and of all the places to get angry, here's a safe one. I'm just too tired to be there myself tonight. Don't worry about expressing ANY feeling here, this is one of the safest places to do it. We 'get' it and will love you anyways! sunny

I'm going to get an ice pack and lie back down

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity on Sat 18 May 2013, 7:59 pm

Thanks Sara

Feel better....I use the icepacks too, they are a Godsend....I also find the breeze from a fan and that "white noise" helps too.

Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan on Fri 24 May 2013, 12:13 am

Yeah Trinity, I understand. I've had a measurable uptick in migraine frequency and pain. It's gotten rather significant. My docs prescribe me meds so I don't have to visit the ER. In the whole scheme of things for me, it's just another problem lumped in with the rest. It's easy to say to accept, but it is hard on life. It really hurts work--When nausea and all the goofy stuff starts happening to vision, that's where I find it tough. I'e gotten used to pain for having it for so long, but what migraine does to life is rough.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity on Sat 25 May 2013, 6:54 am

PF
Hang in there, there really isn't anything else we can do right? Trying to make any kind of life is impossible at best, finding a couple of "near normal" days each month feels like a miracle Smile

Then I try to think of everything I want to do while I have that "window" of opportunity Smile Boy, whoever said "if you have your health you have everything" was right on target. Wish we could have a "do over" in life, I would go back to when I was 15 and never get on that motorcycle......my life would have been so different.
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Sat 25 May 2013, 2:03 pm

So, I use humor and sarcasm to help cope... http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/ usually can make me smile, or laugh.

Today, they posted this: http://cheezburger.com/7488498944 This felt like my life when I was trying to fight taking preventatives, or me during that very first migraine. I didn't know it wasn't just another headache, and I let it go three days...while working with 25 school age children during the summertime. After I got the toradol and phenegrine shots, and felt better, I treated the entire group to good Popsicles, since they'd been angels the three days I kept asking them to please be quiet.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:59 pm

The hardest part for me with my migraines is the isolation and loneliness.........I need to remove myself from as much stimulation as possible and so alone is what my body needs but my emotional health suffers when I do that. I crochet when I can (obsessively sometimes!) and when I make items for other people (especially babies!) I try to focus on them - kind of helps make me feel more connected to the outside world.....

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazel on Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:39 pm

It's hard to stay positive with so many migraines. Sometimes all I can think about is the relief that death will bring, and strangely it is comforting--I can get pretty dark. Being thankful for the good things is the only way for me to see my way through it sometimes. I'm grateful for my house and my partner. I'm grateful for books and how much I love them. Sometimes I'm simply thankful that I have clean sheets on the bed so when I go back there with an icepack, it will be fresh and welcoming, and that is enough.

Hazel
One star
One star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:58 pm

Just never look back! And don't second guess. Trinity I think that's the best advice that's been handed down to me. Don't look back--always move forward.

I know it's tough advice, but I think relevant. As well...don't double guess or question yourself.
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top