The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make-up, allergies,migraine

+3
milo
7777Trinity
30yrsofheadache
7 posters

Go down

Make-up, allergies,migraine Empty Make-up, allergies,migraine

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue 07 May 2013, 6:19 pm

The other day I went to a make-up counter with my daughter for makeovers for her wedding (May26th). I have always had sensitive skin, and it has gotten worse with multiple chemical sensitivity from Lyme. We went to the Clinique counter because I thought their products were more pure.

I havent worn anything but lip gloss and very occasional blush/eyeshadow in over 20 years. While they were putting on the make-up my eyes felt very irritated and watery. Afterwards, my eyes became red and sore. Later my eyeballs themselves hurt and turned into migraine Evil or Very Mad It lasted 2 days!

Just wondering if anyone else here has had this happen and if you have found a safer make-up? I really want to wear some for the wedding pictures. Thanks for any advice.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Make-up, allergies,migraine Empty Re: Make-up, allergies,migraine

Post  7777Trinity Tue 07 May 2013, 8:16 pm

Cover girl Clean for sensitive skin works for me, but I use it sparingly and not too much. Stay away from oil based products and go for sensitive skin products.

I do use Clinique blush powder, but again, sparingly. I "smell" everything before I buy it from make up to bath gel because fragrances are a huge trigger.
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 08 May 2013, 10:14 am

Thanks, Trinity. I will try Cover Girl. I have to wear at least a little make-up. I am pretty sure that the wedding is going to be during my "Primetime" for migraines every month. Please hurry, menopause!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Wed 08 May 2013, 5:47 pm

Cindy
I am in menopause and the migraine monster has not taken notice since 2007 and I don't think he gives a shit Smile Hope menopause will end migraines for you, it sure didn't for me.
Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 08 May 2013, 8:28 pm

Have yours been mostly hormonal? Mine started at 13, full blast. I have always had other triggers also. That was just the most reliable one. I had 11 months during my first pregnancy without a major migraine (6 months of breastfeeding). Second one, I got Lyme and had daily migraines. I have only missed 2 periods so far, and had much better months. I have to hold on to this hope to keep me going. I agree, it is a monster!
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu 09 May 2013, 8:38 am

I had a whole lot of trial and error to get to my current make-up routine. I am horribly allergic to almost anything purple and a lot of reds and greens. (Sounds stupid I know but the ingredients they use to make these colors cause the same reaction for me that you described).

I wear a "strawberry fudge" color from Clinique which is a matte pink with gold undertones. I spent a very long time finding eyeliners and finally found some at MAC. (The slick line in black and the goldfish-brown coloured one). Sadly, MAC has recently started animal testing for its marketed items in China so I will need to find a new one again.

I also have a back-up liner from Revlon that doesn't kill me either. For mascara, I use the purple coloured bottle from cover girl. For all products I stay away from shimmer as most is made from products I react very strongly to.

Funny, I though Clinique would be the best too for us sensitive folk but some of their products have been the worst! In my opinion, there really are no brands that are truly safe for those of us that are both chemically and environmentally sensitive.

Good luck! Hope you find what you need!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Fri 10 May 2013, 12:20 am

Sorry, can't help on the make-up question, however at times I get a lot of dry/irritated eyes. Right now (spring) we're getting absolutely hammered with tree and mold.

I have Alrex (steroid that really helps with soreness) and Bepreve. I've found the Alrex more effective, but it requires you to be more closely monitored. The Alrex is much more effective.

With this spring being really bad with tree and other pollens, plus indoor A/C now eye strain is triggering some HA. Expensive even with my insurance at 55 bucks a fill, it works.

Luckily we got some rain to wash some of the pollen out of the air. I have found that my eyes are triggering a few more migraines than I like.

It's bird migration season, so I've been taking about 500 pictures or so a day or every other day. that doesn't help.

good luck!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri 10 May 2013, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, Milo. I am almost too scared to try anything new now. I have had some kind of head pain every day since this happened. That is not my usual pattern Mad . I think I might try some products from Arbonne (sp?). My daughter has a friend whose Mother sells it.

But, I am leaning toward the natural look for the wedding. My eyes are still hurting, leading to head pain. Mad I am using way too much Amerge, which makes my heart do crazy things. I really need to get through the next few weeks.

Two nights before the wedding, I will be making dinner for my husbands family here. Probably 12 or so. Mad I am starting to freak out a little, and I am usually not easily rattled. Then, the next night is the rehearsal dinner. The wedding itself is outside and will be an 8 hour affair all together.
Ok, done with my rant. I appreciate you all listening.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  familydr95 Sat 11 May 2013, 6:02 am

I think any think can trigger migraine in a patinet. It differs patient to another. However at last anything can make your nervous system can cause migraine. That is the way how the migraine works.
However here the problem was the irritant feeling of the eye which can cause the problem. Therefore before using such test it first
familydr95
familydr95
One star
One star

http://protectyourhealthtips.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat 11 May 2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks, PF. Sorry you are suffering, too. I only have mild outdoor allergies, but even that is incredibly irritating! I will talk to my Dr. next week about eye drops for future problems.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat 11 May 2013, 11:12 pm

I would recommend sticking with whatever you have been using for years and know you don't have problems with at this point. Minimal makeup is much better than red runny eyes and a migraine! Use an eye curler for your lashes and skip the mascara.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun 12 May 2013, 12:28 pm

I have to agree with migraine girl. Going without will end up looking a heck of a lot better then eyes sealed shut from allergies. The eyes are so sensitive (and lips too!). I literally wake up with my eyes sealed completely shut if I use the wrong thing, then once they have been peeled open, have the brightest red eyes for ages, ones where no ointment will clear. It is not worth it for a wedding IMHO
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun 12 May 2013, 3:34 pm

I use Cover Girl the few times I wear makeup a year. I've found that the 'green' line (green colored compact and top on the bottle) work best for my sensitive skin. http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2213005&productId=xlsImpprod1880071&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=5covergirlcleancollection&categoryId=cat80028

I have been able to wear the Lush 'foundations', but I don't use them up before they've been opened long enough to have me worried about bacterial growth, and they're too expensive to pitch. http://www.lushusa.com/Color-Essentials/colour-essentials,en_US,sc.html

I don't wear eyeliner or mascara, but I have used eye crayons for shadow. http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2221058&productId=xlsImpprod2150066&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=53nyx20off&categoryId=cat940003 This seems to work well for me, but I keep it away from the corners of my eye and my lash line.

Since I've got a lot of skin sensitivities, its just easier for me to avoid cosmetics for all abut a select few events (Most recently, my brother/SIL's wedding reception last night, prior to that the formal dinner on the cruise in September, before it, my job interview 14 months ago.) I keep it very basic and I don't spend a ton of money, since most times I end up throwing the product away due to age, before I'll wear it again.

My rule of thumb on age of makeup, 3 months for mascara/liquid liner, which is why I just don't buy it. Foundation I've learned to stretch a bit by pouring out the amount I need, and not touching the bottle neck with my hands, but I still pitch at a year. Compact powder, depends, if I've never been sweaty when applying it, a year, but if I've gotten the applicator sweaty, 30 days or less. The eye crayons are the goodies I use the longest, since I can sharpen it down past the layer that I last applied to my eye, but even those are only 18 months to 2 years.

Today, I'm regretting that I came home exhausted last night and slept in my makeup. My face is itchy and I had to pull out the allergy eye drops, since the pollen was already giving me trouble. It just adds another layer of ick onto my current rough head week, and crabby allergy fighting eyes and nose. I keep taking my allergy meds, but the counts here have been really high with the trees dusting our car in yellow pollen dust.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun 12 May 2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Migraine-less people really dont understand these things we go through. Yesterday my husband and I went to try to hit some golf balls at the driving range. This is usually a trigger for me, but my hubbie REALLY wants me to try.

Lucky for me we got turned away because we didnt have collars on our shirts. Oops! My problem is that I dont own any collared shirts because I cant deal with the pressure on my neck. My husband thinks its crazy Oh, well. Maybe I am affraid
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down