Natural product lines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Natural product lines

Post  milo on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

I was thinking it may be a great idea if we started to share some of the things we have started using as natural alternatives to the chemical-laden-migraine-triggering products. I know we don't all have allergies as triggers, but many of us here do. I have noticed that over the years that I have switched to a lot of more natural things to replace products I used to be able to tolerate. This goes for all sorts of things including food, cleaning products and beauty items.

I would love to hear what types of things you have tried to use in the replacement of regular products.

For toothpaste, I have dumped all conventional toothpaste. I have a pre-made "natural" product that I use right now that is free of all non-sugar sweeteners including the most commonly used xylitol and stevia. My dentists has no complaints about it and I have not noticed a negative difference. I plan to try making some of my own soon using coconut oil, peppermint and a few other ingredients I forget. (Baking soda is an option but I hear it wears your enamel)

For scents, I have had to give up every single thing I have ever found except vanillary solid perfume stick from Lush. I have the Karma solid too but I find it can trigger me. This has been a hard one for me as I used to own so many different perfumes. I mostly liked the men's type. It makes me sad not to be able to use this, or to have those around me smelling awesome.

For household cleaning I have swapped out all the regular cleaners as they are way too hard on my head. I have had luck with a brand called Sapadilla. I am in love with the rosemary+peppermint scented ones for cleaning and the lavender one for dishes. All of their products work effectively for cleaning and they are ecologically sound with no nasty fragrances or colours. The scents are all from essential oils. I don't know if they have hidden bad ingredients (as North American laws don't seem to make companies disclose them) but we have switched for over a few years now and are having good reviews. They do not clean the same as harsh chemicals...but they clean well enough to be worth it for me.

For home fragrance I have tried a few locally made room sprays that use just essential oils. Saje (not sure if this is just a Canadian brand) also makes some that I can tolerate. I'd buy one of those machines that mist them into the air but our climate here is so wet that I try not to add any moisture to the air.

Hair product. I need a bit of product in my hair to keep it under control and styled. I have started using a VERY small amount of coconut oil and it works absolutely perfectly! I love it and my hair looks so healthy!

For my aging skin I have been working hard at finding something I can put on it without causing migraines but also that won't cause breakouts. Because I have such bad allergies, most products cause me to get bad rashes. They don't hurt me, but they look really gross to me. My chest area is the worst but my face is also very susceptible. I'm happy to say I have found a GREAT solution! I'm a huge coconut oil fan for eating (even eat a tablespoon of coconut oil and tablespoon of chai seeds together each morning for energy) but recently I tried the oil on my face. I HATE the feeling of being oily, but have found that coconut oil absorbs well (not perfectly but well). I've played around and found that it is a bit too strong for day use, so now I use it each night before bed. My skin has never looked better! It has evened out my skin tone, has gotten rid of any acne (I don't get much when I don't put things on my face) and I swear it makes me look younger. I only use the food-grade organic, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. It smells like coconut but not in a gross way (to me anyways)

I recently also read that macadamia nut oil is used in most of the super-expensive anti-aging serums, so I bought some to give it a try as well. This oil is supposed to be the closest to what the human body produces as sebum, which decreases as you age. I have bought some meant to eat (which tastes great too) and have given it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. So far I can say it absorbs really well and made the skin on my hands, cuticles and arms look amazing. It doesn't feel greasy either and has a pleasant smell. Bonus on this oil is that it has a long shelf life. I'm going to mix my coconut and macadamia oils with a bit of essential oils and see how it goes.

That's all I can think of right now.

What are you using instead of chemical-laden products? If this topic becomes popular I will set it up so it keeps lists for easy reference.
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Natural product lines

Post  30yrsofheadache on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 5:18 am

For cleaning, I like mixtures of vinegar, water, and sometimes a little Murphy's oil soap. Sometimes I can tolerate the "green " products on the market if I am not in a headache mode. Mostly I avoid anything with bleach or ammonia , as they are two of my most reliable triggers. I use Dove body wash for sensitive skin. I use no perfume or scented household products.I also dont use beauty products. What you see is what you get!
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:55 am

The one thing I've been lucky enough to keep using has been my Ivory soap. I know it has bad stuff in it, but I've never been able to give it up.

I didn't know this until yesterday, but many of the green or natural cleaning products actually have just as many nasty chemicals as the mainstream ones. The companies won't even tell you what they are unless you have a doctors note. Scary! But, having said that, I'd use them if they didn't trigger me...lol. I LOVE a clean house!
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 7:35 pm

I am to lazy to bother with natural, sorry. I simply look for whatever scent agrees with me.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

Risa,Razz Razz , Glad to hear from you. How is your house going?
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 5:51 am

I recently become a Method brand convert. The products work just as well as the name brands, and since they make the liquid really concentrated, a teensy bit goes a huge way. They have unscented products, but I've found I can handle some of their scents, and once you find the price per 'load' (washing detergent, but they have dish goodies too) not badly priced in comparison to the brand.

http://methodhome.com/

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:23 am

Method is great too! I think I've used their hand soap to keep in both bathrooms. I use the lavender without too much issue. We also bought a whole bunch of the detergent in all of the scents. We ended up donating most of it though. I found it cleaned a bit too well for my colours and dark loads. Smile
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 6:07 am

Most of my darkly colored clothes are scrubs, and I really prefer that they are 'overly' cleaned rather than the opposite <shrugs>. If I see a problem, I'll switch back to Tide Free and Clear.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom on Sat 27 Jul 2013, 4:39 pm

I use all the unscented products I can get including deodorant. I use Secret unscented. I use Tide Free unscented and bounce unscented dryer sheets. I know I used to love to smell clean clothes with a lovely scent but I end up smelling the scent all day and it sets off my headaches.

Sadly, my husband stopped giving up after shave for me. I hate taking a shower in the mornings now when he remembers to put it on. I also have girlfriends that forget and wear perfume when we go out to lunch. Riding in the car with them, and smelling it the whole lunch if they put too much on, is horrendous to my head.

Good post Milo!

kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 4:50 pm

My dear mother-in-law often wears a most horrendous, clinging perfume that kills me for months after she has gone! She will put it on then drive in one of our cars and the scent will stick to the seatbelt and not leave for months after a visit.

I'm so sensitive to perfumes now that people's deodorant can set me off and send me home for the day. We have signs up all over work but every once in a while it still happens. Ugh
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

Do ask her NOT to use any perfumes, strong scented deodorants around you - do not feel guilty about it either.
simply explain how for her it is a matter of simply skipping
a psheek-psheek here and a psheek-psheek there
BUT for YOU, you it is  a matter of a day or two spent in an agonizing pain completed with ingesting a bucket full of body -devastating medicine..

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:07 pm

We have told her.....MANY times......she just DOES NOT get it. Sad
milo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down