New Lab Test

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Lab Test

Post  KimbaK on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:58 pm

Hi All,

I have a new lab test I want to share with you. My pain management doctor recommended it and I agreed to take it. My insurance paid for it (surprise, surprise) and it has turned out to be a wonderful tool in managing my medications.

It is a DNA test that tells you if the medications you are taking work with your body chemistry and how you metabolize them. This test revealed that Dilaudid has no affect on me whatsoever. Doesn't matter how much I take, it does not work for me at all. It also revealed that I tend to keep Phenergan in my body longer than others so I have to be careful with it. I never even though Phenergan had to be monitored. My cholesterol med is not the most affective one for me.

I so recommend this test for anyone who can have it done. I'm taking it with me to all my other doctor appointments so I can make sure they know what kinds of meds work best for me. It also shows drug interactions and what genes cause the degree of metabolization for different meds.

Kimba

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Lab Test

Post  Cluelesskitty on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 2:56 am

Sounds great! I wish our cheap medical insurance would cover something like that. I wish it would!!

I am glad you get to have it done, Kim. at least you can weed out ineffective medications.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:09 am

I also had this test done through my pain clinic. Quite interesting they have this now. However, for me, it didn't give any helpful information. I had hoped it would at least show why I have such high tolerance to the pain meds, but I only showed a slight tendency. My pain doctor said he hasn't ended up changing any of his patient's meds from the results of the test.

I too was surprised insurance would pay for it. I don't think it cost too much either...the fancy gas chromatography urinalysis tests they mandate cost more. The reps for the company must be making rounds to the pain clinics to advertise this test.

I think this is the one I had, as I had bookmarked the site, although it looks like they've changed it since: http://genelex.com/patients/

Here is an interesting article: http://www.painmedicinenews.com/download/genetictesting_pmn0413_wm.pdf

I've seen a few other posts online about it, and it was through patient's pain doctors. There are however many other sub tests they can do; its not just for pain meds. They only did pain meds and other classes of meds that can be used for pain (like anti depressants). I'm not on heart or cholesterol meds for example. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl
Two star
Two star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top