The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cefaly device.

4 posters

Go down

Cefaly device.  Empty Cefaly device.

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:09 pm

I finally received my Cefaly last Friday and have used it each day since (5 days).  When I got it, I had had a headache every day for the past week (following 3 consecutive days of air travel which always causes problems for me).  After using it the first day, I felt a definite decrease in the headache. It probably cut it in half. The same for the following 2 days, cutting it or eliminating it.  The past 2 days no headache.

It seems to work by stimulating the trigeminal nerve, which is the one that goes across your face, behind your eyeball and ends on your forehead.  So if you have the kind of headache that comes with a pain or pressure behind the eyeball and a tightening in the forehead ( which mine did), you mind find some relief.

It feels like a TENS unit, if you have ever had that before. A slight tingling and electrical stimulation. It runs on AA batteries, so it's pretty weak electricity, and it's very easy to control the intensity. You simply press the button when it gets to a level you feel is comfortable. It runs for 20 minutes and automatically shuts off.  I find it rather pleasant honestly. Like a face massage.

So far no negative side effects. I do feel sleepy afterward, so I've decided to do my daily session at night before bed time. The research shows that the number of headache days decreases each month you use it, so it's too soon to say for sure, but so far so good.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Cefaly device.  Empty Re: Cefaly device.

Post  milo Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:56 am

Hi, I'd love to hear how this goes for you. I have one but stopped using it. Looking forward to some great updates.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 16 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm

Hi Milo - I wonder if you still use Cefaly and if you still find it effective? inquiring minds want to know Smile

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:15 am

I'm so glad it's helping someone....I thought it may be good for some of us.

For me it triggered some pretty nasty monsters so I stopped trying. I wasn't able to give it a full trial because it triggered me. Then we had a flood and since our home was packed up by strangers, I have no idea where it is. I should look for it. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

Oh, sorry to hear about that, Milo, I mean - a flood. that must have been horrible!
also, that  Cefaly wasn't as great as you hoped it would be. rats!

How about you, Migraine girl- is it still giving you relief? I hope so..

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu 19 Mar 2015, 6:56 pm

Yes it was doing some good I think.  But I haven't been using it recently.  For some reason I have had no issues with headaches for over a month (except for one small one after I had ham- nitrates are on my no list).  I have no idea why this is.  During this time I traveled to Australia ( which is usually hard on me), got a terrible cold and sinus infection, and then threw my back out from the long flight home.  So lots of pain triggers, poor sleep etc.... And surprise surprise my head feels fine.  I've been afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing it.  Who knows what's going on on with this crazy disease?  I'm just enjoying the respite and hoping it lasts.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Hpfl4relf Thu 19 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm

You all have me thinking I should pull out my old tens unit and give it a whirl whilst in the midst of the ever present, fire breathing dragon! Thanks! Hope it continues to help those it is benefitting at the most.
Hpfl4relf
Hpfl4relf
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 20 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

Thanks MGirl for your reply! I am keeping my fingers crossed that no jinxing  happened and will not! ever!
Sorry the trip to Australia (wow) triggered so many other things - boo- hiss to the gods who caused that! .
(always make sure you take antibiotic (and long enough)  for the sinus  as this is a serious cause of extra Ms)
Good to know though that .. .. .. but I'll shut up now Smile

Hpfl4relf - I think Tens is not quite the same, but I am not sure, indeed why don't you give it a try !

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cefaly device.  Empty Cephaly Device

Post  Hpfl4relf Sun 22 Mar 2015, 4:09 pm

Thanks, Clueless Kitty. You are right that Cephaly is not the typical tens unit that one wears with electrodes attached to specific pain sites. However, it uses the tens technology just as the neural stimulator also uses the same technology. If it works for people, that's great and maybe even better than the neural stimulator as no surgery would be required. The potential failure rate would not be quite so devastating. My recent meeting with the physician regarding the neural stimulator revealed the pre-surgery trial actually includes using a tens unit to see if the device is worth having implanted. I will look forward to hearing how this works for other migraines. Thanks!
Hpfl4relf
Hpfl4relf
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 22 Mar 2015, 8:28 pm

Well then, do try your Tens and see how it works for you M. I am myself most curious of the outcome.
And good luck with being accepted for the NS surgery - I hope you will be, and you;ll get as great relief as Trinity did!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cefaly device.  Empty Cefaly is mentioned as device approved by FDA for chronic migraine treatment

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 26 Mar 2015, 3:07 pm

Interesting, I was passed this Teri Robert's article which mentioned Cefaly,  and thought of you guys:

For the most part, the same treatments are used for both episodic and chronic migraine.
Only four medications and one device have been approved by the FDA for migraine prevention. The others are prescribed off-label, a common and trusted practice. The medications and device approved by the FDA are:

propranolol (brand name Inderal), a beta blocker
timolol, brand Blocadren, another beta blocker
divalproex, brand Depakote, an anti-seizure medication
topiramate, brand Topamax, an anti-seiqure medication
the Cefaly, an external trigeminal nerve stimulator

- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/c/123/175431/episodic-migraine-difference/#sthash.e8rJvvXw.dpuf

so, there you go, proof that  if anyone have any doubts whether or not it is a snake oil type contraption, apparently  it is not.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down