The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines damage brain...

4 posters

Go down

Migraines damage brain... Empty Migraines damage brain...

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 05 Apr 2011, 1:57 am

""Migraine Headaches May Cause Brain Damage, Mouse Study Shows""

(Well, duh!)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070430102025.htm

The team uncovered a complex, unexpected tale of supply and demand regarding blood flow and oxygen.

In short, the team found that the brain develops a voracious demand for energy as the organ attempts to restore the delicate chemical balance that is lost in the initial throes of a phenomenon known as cortical spreading depression, which is thought to underlie many migraines.

Even though the brain's arteries expand dramatically and make a great deal more oxygen-rich blood available to meet the demand for energy, some parts of the brain still wind up experiencing severe oxygen shortage, or hypoxia. This causes parts of brain cells' sophisticated signaling structures to disintegrate, similar to what occurs when a person has a mini-stroke, or after a severe injury, or when blood flow to the brain is completely stopped, such as during a heart attack.

"In mice, the damage from these episodes looks exactly like the damage that occurs to the brain from repeated TIAs, or transient ischemic attacks," said Takano. "It's long been known that patients having a migraine attack are functionally impaired from the pain. It's also been shown recently that with repeated migraines, a person's cognitive abilities decrease. But actually doing damage to the brain -- that is a surprise."

...a few studies have found that people who get auras with their migraines are at increased risk for vascular problems like heart attack and stroke.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Migraines damage brain... Empty migraines and brain damage

Post  lentils Tue 05 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

I know that my brain has been damaged by 10 years of migraines. Particularly the ability to do math. Not that I was a math whiz, but I was pretty good before the headaches and used math regularly in my job. Now I've noticed that I'm really slow at calculating and my estimations, for instance, distance, are way off. It's weird.

lentils
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Migraines damage brain... Empty Re: Migraines damage brain...

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

Oh, yeah.
I get what you are saying.
I noticed that I too, have way diminished capacity to comprehend stuff.

I used read books much faster, and more "deep" than I can read now.
Now I have to re-read sentences sometimes a few times before I finally get them.

The same applies to CC (closed captions on TV) - I used breeze thru them while watching the movies, or shows
or whatever.
Now I often can't follow fast enough the simple commercial dialogue!

Sad
Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:21 pm

Great! As if I didn't have enough problems, now brain damage too. I wonder if it is reversible? Or if we just get to turn our brains to mush because they dont know how to stop these things. My memory for names is shot and I often can't find the word I'm looking for. My concentration is also shot to heck. It's very frustrating.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:43 pm

I am not sure if it's reversible, but I am sure we can boost our remaining 'power' by constantly exercising our brain.

By simply doing "mind boggling" exercises as sudoku, crosswords, reading, learning new language etc we can keep our brain
in top condition.

I think I read in some magazines that studies done on a group of seniors who started doing that showed certain improvement in their mental abilities comparing to their peers who did nothing.
http://www.squidoo.com/brain-exercise-for-senior-citizens

and although this link is about normal brains, I do believe what we have left undamaged is normal.
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20061219/mental_deterioration_061219/

So we do have a chance, looks like :]

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 05 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Even though the brain's arteries expand dramatically and make a great deal more oxygen-rich blood available to meet the demand for energy, some parts of the brain still wind up experiencing severe oxygen shortage, or hypoxia

So this would indicate that taking some hits of oxygen when the migraine is starting might ward it off. I have heard of that working for some people, but have never tried it. I am going to see if I can get an oxygen tank.

It also ties together the theory that it is a vascular issue with the idea of an over excited brain (the spreading phenomenon) related to the genetic studies, and the chemical imbalance problems that underly the various competing theories regarding migraines. So it seems to make a lot of sense.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 05 Apr 2011, 7:26 pm

Actually, Pen found some research which again supports the vascular role in M HAs.
I am undecided though.

Well, we will live and see what will come of it.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/lifestyles/2011/apr/04/rsearchers-believe-theyve-found-cause-migraine-hea-ar-442588/

btw, oxygen is most helpful in Cluster type HAs.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm

Well now, I always wondered what was wrong with me!! At last I have a real excuse! Migraines don't seem to be a good enough explanation for some people! Now I can add this too!!! Very Happy Ok I am being silly!! the only time I notice any sort of forgetfulness or anything else is when I am having the migraine, or am in pain bad enough to take meds, which used to be everyday. Now that I don't take the medication as much I dont really have any trouble. Interesting though....
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

I practiced deep breathing tonight to try to ward off the migraine that was coming after I got off the plane. Unfortunately no, I still got the migraine.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down