The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What records do you keep for your migraines?

+3
Sara79
Cluelesskitty
milo
7 posters

Go down

What records do you keep for your migraines? Empty What records do you keep for your migraines?

Post  milo Thu 14 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

I know we all do things differently. Over the years, on the forums I have encountered very good ideas about what records you keep for yourselves and for when you see your care providers.

What do you carry with you when you see new doctor?

What do you bring with you when you go to the ER?

What do you keep for yourselves?
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

What records do you keep for your migraines? Empty Re: What records do you keep for your migraines?

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:46 pm

In the beginning, while my M were in the process of being diagnosed and categorized, I kept a detailed journal
of what I ate, did, what was the weather like, my menstrual cycle and the likes.
I can't remember for how long I continued that but I am sure more than a few months, maybe even a year.

I even made a few months long x-y line graph that showed what day of a month I had M, and how many pills I took for it.
Which, interestingly enough, showed that my absolute worst M were co-related to ovulation and menses.
But I had M beside that, so I wasn't strictly a hormonal Migraineur, just these times they were the worst.

Then after my M were established as M w/o aura, I stopped 'journal-ing', as it is a pain in the butt.
Instead I started, for many years, simply check off in the calendar every time I had M what did I take and how much.

For example - 8E30, 3M which mean, of course that that particular day I must had a medium to major M
for which I took 8 Emtec30 (which is like Tylenol 3 w/o caffeine) plus 3 of Maxalt pills.
I also checked off the times of my menses, as usual.

At the end of every month I calculated how many on the whole I took that month, for example - 150-E30, 45 M.
yep, that many.
This way I knew exactly if my intake is on the rise, steady, or down.
Well, it is some sort of control over what's going on with the meds regimen, and M itself.

Now, it's been close to 30 years of that roller-coaster.
I am not keeping up any journal or calendar checks anymore, just got bored with it.

I am just living from one dr visit to another, and since I am always given the same amount of my meds,
I know by this what's going on -pretty accurately, anyway.
If I am short, then I know I took more than usual, If I have some left over - then I had a good month!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

What records do you keep for your migraines? Empty Re: What records do you keep for your migraines?

Post  Sara79 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

Like Risa, when I was working on a diagnosis and with a neuro, I kept a journal with pain levels and meds taken and when, but after trying all the neuro's suggestions (dairy free, and she wanted me raw and vegan) and not getting any real relief, I dropped the neuro and just worked with my PCP to get the meds I need and the occasional round of injectables.

I did figure out that storm front pressure drops are a trigger, so my roughest season is the Spring here in the midwest.

Good Luck!

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:18 pm

For myself I keep three reports.

One is a detailed daily journal of when it starts, when it ends, pain level, why i think it happened, drugs taken if they were effective and anything else.

That goes to a spreadhsheet that makes a red mark on a calendar. There I keep side notes about when I change meds or important facts such as change in diet. That red mark on the calender goes to a line graph that breaks down month to month and over the years.

It is the last one the doctor will look at because he has such little time. He can ask detailed questions and I have all the answers on the other reports.

Utlitmatley, it is my tool.
Enigma
Enigma
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu 14 Apr 2011, 11:11 pm

I have two years worth of recordings on daily pain level (A - F), meds taken and notes of any possible factors effecting that day (e.g. Travel, periods). I have found it to be really helpful because I can reliably track how I'm doing on a particular treatment plan, rather than just relying on memory ( which isn't great). I find that when I have a migraine, I feel like I'll never get better. When I dont, I generally underestimate the likelihood of getting them. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it effects my ability to reliably say whether a new treatment is working better than previous one. With the log I feel I have a much more accurate record of what is going on.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:56 am

I still do it 10 years later from starting.
But to be honest it is a total waste of time.
My husband charted it all out for me on an Excell sheet.
All it told us is that they are on a "random pattern"

They come every 3/4 days or so after the last Triptan
NOTHING seem to influence them. And I mean nothing.
It was hormones 10 years ago, now....
GP, Neuro, cant make any sense of it at all.

It seems they just come.
I can occasionally go 8 days off the Triptans.
I would love to know how I do that....

So ,yes, as a writer and a journal keeper, I still do it..
But it tells me ZILCH

Back to top Go down

What records do you keep for your migraines? Empty Records for migraines

Post  Nikkisaunt Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:50 pm

Fron, I think what can happen over the years is that migraine patterns can change. What may start out as hormonally driven migraines can evolve into an atypical pattern. Early on record-keeping cna be important if triggers are identified and eliminating triggers helps lessen the frequency and severity of the migraines. But if no patterns or triggers are discovered and eliminated, then sometimes I think you have situations where the frequency of migraine attacks do damage that can lead to more migraines.

Nikkisaunt
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:47 pm

I've been very remiss in keeping proper health records period. I often go in for a consult or a surgery and they ask what other surgeries I've had and I have no clue. It would be so much better if I kept a full record so that it was easier to provide information.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun 17 Apr 2011, 7:13 am

I never could remember my surgeries, allergies, etc., when asked, either. So, I have made spreadsheets in Excel that include:

1. medical history--surgeries and other procedures, approximate dates, the doctor that performed it/them, and where they were done;
2. family medical history (parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, children)
3. allergies and the reaction I had to the med
4. doctors I've consulted and the purpose of the consultation, including name, address, phone number
5. daily headache diary (started out in pencil on a regular calendar, but have used Excel the past two years--much easier). I have over 4 years of headache diaries.
6. current meds, vitamins and supplements
7. meds that I've tried over the years and the length of time I took them

It's so much easier to have the information in a computer, backed up periodically, and able to be printed at a moment's notice. While I've never really noticed specific triggers, other than changing weather or physical activity, it does help to follow pain levels and side effects after I've begun a new medication.

Some of the information, such as family medical history, will be helpful to my children as they and my grandchildren grow older.

I've had a couple doctors accuse me of being borderline OCD, but I think I'm being organized and prepared. My information is consistent and up to date. (When I was working, my occupation required detail and accuracy)

Sometimes I will go days where I'm not able to make entries on the computer because of migraine symptoms. At those times, I just make notes on paper and update the spreadsheets when I'm feeling up to it.

Oh, and another benefit of keeping the daily headache diary, is that I can track the abortive meds I take and when. I have daily and weekly limits on my abortives. Tracking them helps me check at a glance whether I've exceeded my limits.

Basically, I have a very poor memory and tracking everything in the computer has been a big help.
tecky
tecky
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down