The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling all Voodoo Chickens! Sufferer needs back up. Repeat sufferer needs back up!

5 posters

Go down

Calling all Voodoo Chickens!  Sufferer needs back up.  Repeat sufferer needs back up! Empty Calling all Voodoo Chickens! Sufferer needs back up. Repeat sufferer needs back up!

Post  KimbaK Thu 12 Sep 2013, 12:02 am

Ok I'm coming at this from a humorous perspective. Sometimes its laugh or start sobbing uncontrollably. First, I found a friend at CM. Sounded like an amazing man. Too good to be true. Can you guess where I'm heading with this? Freaking ID thief wannabe. Fortunately, I am neither young nor naïve any more so I spotted it pretty quick. I do not share my personal information. Asked my "friend" some pointed questions and he asked for my address so he could send me a present. I told him he could have mine when I had his. He accused me of being mistrustful and I agreed. He has since disappeared from the face of the internet. I've notified CM and will be keeping an eye out for this POS. I swear I am cursed.

And... after 4 agonizing days, I sucked it up and went to ER today. New doctor. Complete arrogant ass. The nurse was as kind as she could be. It was the usual what do you usually get, does it interfere with your pain management contract, what have you taken today... When I reviewed the usual meds that worked and why I needed the max dose, he cut me off and proceeded to explain that no one would prescribe that. Demanded I explain my allergic reactions to the meds I've listed. When I do he explains to me that 2 of my current meds have similar properties to the ones I am allergic to. And it goes on from there. So instead of giving me Dilaudid and Phenergren, he give me Torodol, Benadryl, and Nubain. 3 separate injections. I've tried all those and they don't work. But I took them because hey no choice.

15 minutes later, nurse comes back. I report no change and she goes to tell Dr. I don't care if you're in pain who sends her back with another injection (now at a total of 4 holes in my a$$) of Nubain. which again DOESN'T WORK. I've only been doing this for 30 years, but what do I know. The Dr. himself never checks back with me. No follow-up, nothing. As I'm lying on the gurney in the exam room, I hear him and 2 other staff gossiping in the hall. Seriously, they have chairs outside the room (its in the back hallway of ER) and I hear him refer to me as a "great teaching case." He asks his student if she ever got out of that abusive relationship and is pretty much just out there shooting the shiz.

When the nurse came back again, I had my glasses on and purse ready to walk out. She asks how I'm doing and I start bawling and tell her its worse than when I came in. Please let me go home where I can at least suffer for free and no one can make it worse. She goes to tell Dr. Creep that I want to leave and I'm worse. He decides he's going to admit me and start running CT's and MRI's. And what doctor does he call to consult on this. I lost my temper and told him NO. I'M UNINSURED, I CAN'T AFFORD TO GO THROUGH TESTS I'VE ALREADY HAD, ESPECIALLY NOT WHEN HE IS JUST GOING TO LEAVE ME IN AGONY BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY HAD ALL THE PAIN MEDICATION HE WILL GIVE ME. I'VE EXPLAINED WHAT WORKS AND HE'S MAKING THE PAIN WORSE NOT BETTER. I'VE BEEN NAUSEOUS TO THE POINT OF NOT EATING AND THE BUTT HEAD WON'T EVEN GIVE ME PHENERGAN. ALL THIS PAIN COULD BE ALLEVIATED IF HE'D JUST LISTEN TO ME.

All he says is you have to sign the AMA form. My dad tries to explain to him about my pain levels and I told him to give it up. I was loud and I hope everyone heard me. This man doesn't care about helping me, he's just covering his butt. I'm almost hysterical at this point and crying and begging him to take me home. I had a major melt down right there in the hall in front of every body in the ER and I don't care. I was loud and kept repeating that at least at home this crazy man couldn't keep injecting me with stuff that makes it worse and I'd just try another dose of my regular meds. Just please get me out of here, he's not going to help me and all he cares about is his damn form. I'm pretty sure no one heard me offer to shove it up his a$$.

So I came back home, hurting worse and now mad as hell. Everybody took one look at my face and just got out of my way. Probably a good thing, because I'm in pain and don't care if anybody gets there feelings hurt. My poor mom was wringing her hands and oh baby I'm sorry you're hurting and he's a terrible doctor. I love her but at that moment I wanted to yell at her. I can't comfort her when I'm like this. She doesn't even know she does that, but she has for years. That's why I don't complain much. It starts out with me needing sympathy and then it becomes about her and how awful it is to watch me suffer when she can't help me.

Long story short, I take another dose of everything. I'm so angry I can't sleep. I've written the most eloquent and objective complaint letter. I haven't been able to do anything like that in forever. Between the migraine robbing me of coherent thought and expression and the pain medication making me the village idiot, I've lost one of my special skills. People used to come to for help in work presentations, complaint resolution, all things that require objectivity and the ability to express it poignantly.

I had to write quickly because I could feel the forgetfulness kicking in, losing train of thought, and getting emotional. But it is a work of art. I will type it up tomorrow and get it in to the hospital. May not do any good, but I'm hoping if nothing else, he gets a write up for poor patient care. And gossiping in the halls. I included examples in my letter so they can know I'm not bluffing, I heard the conversation.

I'd like to post a copy of the letter here once I polish it up. Providing I can do a good job of polishing. I'm so proud of it. If I knew where to send it to draw attention to the plight of migraine sufferers I would in a heart beat. Come good or bad. I refuse to be marginalized or mocked.

Ok. 'Nuff said.

Love you all and hope we all have a voodoo chicken moment.
Kim

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Calling all Voodoo Chickens!  Sufferer needs back up.  Repeat sufferer needs back up! Empty Re: Calling all Voodoo Chickens! Sufferer needs back up. Repeat sufferer needs back up!

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 12 Sep 2013, 6:56 am

Kim, First of all I'm sorry you got such poor care:evil: . I,ve been there many times. After one particularly bad incident, I did send a letter to the hospital. I got a call from the supervisor (cant remember his title, migraine day:( ) several days later. He apologized and said it was being looked into.

Visits after that were never as bad and mostly really good! Also, I saw a new sign saying that all people deserved to have their needs addressed at this facility. I did send a note after my first really good visit saying how much I appreciated the good care. So, I say go for it, send the letter. I would love to read it when you are ready.

I have moved and am using a new ER, though only twice in over a year. One excellent visit, one so-so. At least the other people going to my old ER should get better migraine care. Hope you are feeling better today.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Calling all Voodoo Chickens!  Sufferer needs back up.  Repeat sufferer needs back up! Empty Re: Calling all Voodoo Chickens! Sufferer needs back up. Repeat sufferer needs back up!

Post  7777Trinity Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:22 pm

Kim

That idiot must have a twin brother in Kentucky. Here is a copy of a letter I sent to the Administrator of the hospital ER I went to a year ago this July after 17 days straight in migraine A copy also went to the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure. The Administrator never even responded to my letter and the KY Board of Medical Licensure sent me a letter 3 months later stating there was "no evidence" of misconduct on the doctor's part..these a$$holes must grow on trees and attend every medical school on the planet.

7-18-2012

Mr. Bruce Begley, Administrator
Methodist Hospital Henderson
1305 North Elm Street
Henderson, KY 42420

RE: Complaint Filed with Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure
      On Dr. Robert Reynolds

Dear Mr. Begley:

This communication is to make you aware of an incident in your E.R. on July 14th, 2012 concerning the treatment I received. Enclosed you will find a copy of the complaint I have filed against Dr. Robert Reynolds with the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure.

On July 14th, 2012 my husband, Reverend Wayne Burt brought me to the E.R. at my request. I had been experiencing migraine for several days and was not able to abort the migraine with the medications I had at home. These medications include; Relpax 40mg, Xanax 0.1mg, Phenergren 25mg and Stadol NS. Dr. Robert Reynolds was told what my medications were and which I had taken that day and also what I had taken during this siege of migraine of several days.

Dr. Robert Reynolds was informed of my medical history of migraine, of Neurologist’s treatment, Blue Grass Pain Management treatments of; Occipital Lobe injections, Cervical Facet Injection and Rhizotomy of the Ganglion Nerves at C-2 on both sides, done in Lexington. He was advised by my husband that Bluegrass Pain Management had released me in 2008 with no other treatment to offer. He was further advised by my husband that my PCP forwarded my records to Vanderbilt just last year and they responded to him that they currently have no other treatment than that which I have already received.

At this point Dr. Robert Reynolds told me in front of my husband that “his” ER does not treat migraine with narcotics. He ordered an injection of Phenergren and Toradol (anti-inflammatory agent).

Respectfully, Mr. Begley; Phenergren and an anti-inflammatory agent will not break a migraine, I told Dr. Robert Reynolds this very fact. Dr. Robert Reynolds responded by telling me that I was looking for narcotics and he does not give out narcotics in his E.R. to just anyone who walks in the door. I then told him that I was aware there are many prescription drug abuse problems in Kentucky, and that he did not have the ability to discern between someone looking for drugs and a person truly in pain. I suggested he run a “CARS” on me as well.

Dr. Robert Reynolds then said he would give me a steroid injection and a morphine injection, however he added that “I had better not ever return to his ER looking for narcotics again.” This was a most grievous experience for me. I had never been a patient at Methodist Hospital in Henderson before that day. I do not frequent E.R.’s looking for narcotics.

The migraines I experience are the result of a motorcycle accident I was in when I was younger. My diagnosis is 1.) Left Hemisphere Dysfunction 2.) Chronic Severe Migraines 3.) Cervical Spondylosis. I presently have between 12-17 migraines each month. The severity of the migraines at times make me wish I were no longer living and when my medications will not break one, I do need to have a hospital I can turn to. I believe in the last five (5) years I have been to an E.R. three (3) times for help with migraine.

Mr. Begley, it is my opinion that Dr. Robert Reynolds needs to be further educated on his ability to discern what a drug abuser presents as, it certainly was not me and had he “listened” to what he was being told by myself and my husband who was present with me, he would have made better choices in his treatment of me and the language he used on me.

My husband is a Godly man, a Methodist Pastor appointed to Bennett Memorial UMC here in Henderson, however; he mentioned to me the next day that it took everything he had within him, to hold his grace while watching Dr. Robert Reynolds disrespect me and treat me with such disgrace.

My next opinion, is this; you have a physician telling your patients to never return to your hospital again, there is a serious issue here and it needs to be addressed. I too, am an ordained Minister and truly my husband and I have seen a lot in ministry with different kinds of folks, yet even so, my husband and I would never treat the worst of them, the way your physician treated me Saturday afternoon July 14th, 2012.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, that was my moment of a magnificent letter writing and it yielded me nothing. I want to read yours so be sure to put it up!!! Hope things are better this evening.. Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu 12 Sep 2013, 6:21 pm

Kim,

Good for you for telling him off! That's the only way arrogant jerks like that will learn.
It sounds like a lousy visit but you handled it really well instead of just suffering in silence as we usually do.

You get the awesome award of the week!
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Calling all Voodoo Chickens!  Sufferer needs back up.  Repeat sufferer needs back up! Empty Thank you my voodoo "chicks"

Post  KimbaK Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:51 pm

I am better today. I have re-read my letter and plan to type it up and send it on to the hospital tomorrow. I will post a copy here once I have it typed. I don't expect any results. If a hospital were to side with a patient over a doctor, they'd open themselves up to a law suit by the patient and then potential loss of staff as no one would want to work there.

But I refuse to allow this treatment to go unchallenged. I have fought the good fight and am read to continue the battle!!
Kim

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:24 pm

Hi,

I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible experience at the ER. Believe me, I have been in your shoes several times.

The worst ER experience I had was just after graduating from College in Memphis. My neuro in another city advised me to go to the ER. I did. The Dr was horrible. He gave me Demerol and Phenergan- despite the fact that I told him that Demerol did not work and made me sick. His response was "Well, the Phenergan will take care of it." So he gave it IM. The nurse came in and asked if there was any change. I said no. So, the Dr came back gave more Demerol IV. Then my roommate went and informed the doctor that I was bad and that I usually responded to dilaudid. the Dr came back, discharged me and said "We need the room for a real patient" I was crying as I left and one of the nurses had the gall to say that "crying wasn't helping/" I just don't understand how some drs neglect pain. or do not like to treat it. I know part of it that some have been burned by addicts, but I wish they would see pain patients as that- patients with a disease.

I think the letter you wrote is very good.

After that experience I had my neurologist write a letter and didn't have a whole lot of probems.

I think this has been a rough day/ week for a lot of us.

Hand in there,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down