The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some advice= migraine and family stuff

3 posters

Go down

Need some advice= migraine and family stuff Empty Need some advice= migraine and family stuff

Post  sconesail Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:09 am

Hi All,

The past couple of weeks, the headache has been really bad.

In addition to this, Dora-my awesome service dog is getting some more training. She just needs to brush up on some things and so do I. Dora is quite protective of me. For example, If we are walking and she sees another dog, and knows I am going to faint- she doesn't wamt that dog near me and she will try to chase down the other dog. She is not really an aggressive dog, but we need to work on this problem before it gets worse. So she is with the trainer for a week or so. I should get her back at the end of this week or early next week. I have gotten so used to Dora alerting to the fainting, so it doesn't happen as much. But for the past week, I have been fainting a whole lot more. Thursday night, I missed her so much I cried.

So I ended up calling my parents and asking if I could have Max for a day or two. Mom reluctantly agreed. Anyway, I spoke to Mom again yesterday to see if he could stay another night. As I said, the headache is bad. I had taken some medicine- klonopin- which seems to help the fainting and headache.

This brings me to the main problem. When I spoke to Mom things did not go well. She said, "You've obviously taken some Klonopin. Don't ever call me if you have taken any medicine- cause it make y Iou out of it and you are on too much anyway. Just don't talk to me if you have. Also, you better not ruin my dog like you ruined Dora. Don't let him beg, don't give him people food. (Note I don't give Dora people food either and am working on the begging thing). Just don't ruin him like you ruined Dora. I will admit that I might have slacked off a bit on discipline with Dora in the last couple of weeks, but that is why she is back in training- she needs to brush up and so do I.

Mom's reaction really bothers me. I really don't know what to do about it and need some advice on this issue. It also bothers me because my mom has chronic pain and sometimes it feels like it is ok if she takes something for it, but not if I do. Ever since the fainting began, I have gone off all meds numerous times- to no avail. I don't know what to do except what I am doing.

I know that part of it must be caused by pain and some of it is probably caused by Graves disease. (She goes nuts when her thyroid levels are out of whack and the mean streak knows no bounds.) However, no matter what the cause is, it still hurts. Ever since I developed chronic migraines at age 17, I was told that, if things got bad, it was ok to call and talk to them about it. But it isn't anymore. I can talk to some friends, I can talk to yall, but it feels like I can't talk to some of my family about it. (I can talk to Dad some and I can talk to my eldest brother about it. But it scares J (my other brother) and I can't talk to him about it. I am just really frustrated and need some advice on this subject.

Id love any ideas or advice.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Need some advice= migraine and family stuff Empty Re: Need some advice= migraine and family stuff

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:14 am

Scone, sometimes family can be the hardest to deal with. Also, its hard to give advice about another persons family. I personally cant understand your mother's attitude. Both my daughters suffer from migraine and I would do anything to help them! It gets tricky when we all feel bad, but then my husband will step in Smile. I wish we could all live close to each other to help when we are able to. I hope you get Dora back soon. My dogs are Golden Retriever's and are very protective also (especially the female).
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Need some advice= migraine and family stuff Empty Re: Need some advice= migraine and family stuff

Post  Platypus Mon 11 Nov 2013, 9:46 pm

I'm really sorry. We all wish the people closest to us were supportive. Some people aren't capable of being supportive because of their own suffering. I'm sorry things have changed with your mother. Be kind to yourself. We have an incredibly difficult challenge with this condition. Stay close to the people in your life who are supportive and kind. If someone in your life can't treat you that way, it is okay for you to set some boundaries or get some distance. That is your right. It's your right to feel safe and treated with respect and kindness. Maybe next time you have a friend who will let you borrow their dog? Smile 

-Platy
Platypus
Platypus
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down