The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tried a new treatment.....float therapy

+2
Cluelesskitty
milo
6 posters

Go down

Tried a new treatment.....float therapy Empty Tried a new treatment.....float therapy

Post  milo Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:58 am

I tried a new treatment this weekend. You go into a sensory deprivation tank filled with water and 900lbs of sea salt which results in you floating in total darkness and silence. You lay there floating for 90 minutes and if you stop moving you even stop feeling that water and it's like you are floating on air through the dark.

I'm planning to go back. Only trouble is it is a ways away from home, but I think it's worth a try. Has anyone else tried this?
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tried a new treatment.....float therapy Empty Re: Tried a new treatment.....float therapy

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 23 Dec 2013, 3:42 am

Never, but I saw this a couple times on TV. I always wondered what does it feel like.

Did it help with your headache, if you had any at all during this experience?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tried a new treatment.....float therapy Empty Re: Tried a new treatment.....float therapy

Post  7777Trinity Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

I lived in Florida on the east coast and spent about half my time on the beach and in the ocean. Migraines were only 4 or 5 a month instead of the 12-18 a month I have been getting for the last 8 years since I moved away.

I wish I could move back home so much...I hate that my life has been turned into this.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:45 am

Hi All,

This is all very interesting.

My family has a house in Florida (On St. Joe Bay) and for some reason I always do a little better there. Maybe the salt air and water helps? Maybe it is just the atmosphere? I don't know, but maybe there is something to it.

We just had family Christmas there and it went well. Except for the fact that my brother really needs to relax. (Dad and I babysat my nephew and took him for a walk to the dock. Dad carried him there, but on the dock we let him walk- toddler in the center, 2 adults on either side. Hudson loved it. Also let him walk a little on the wooden walkover. J had a fit when he found out. Hudson now tries to get on any of the walkovers.) Also there must have been some sort of Christmas miracle- managed not to faint in front of brothers! Did faint while playing on the floor with Hudson, but he just laughed. I really wish that my brothers would accept the fact that I may not like the migraines and hate the fainting, but have to find a way to live with both- something only my father seems to realize.

Still, did well there. Have a bit of a headache now and am home. Fortunately, since we have celebrated family Christmas- the only things I have planned are a quiet day, going to church tonight, and having dinner with my roommate's family tomorrow.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. I didn't mean too! There has to be something to the salt water stuff. Please let us know how it goes.

Pain free days,
sconesail

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 24 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

I think it's a leveled climate- steady barometric pressure, steady temperatures, steady humidity etc more or less throughout a year.

I wish I could live there...

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 25 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

Hi again, I know this seems weird, but I actually think it's a therapy that will help me. I think the sensory deprivation combined with the salt water is going to help my head. Imagine 90 minutes of pure nothingness. It's warmed to the average body temp, the water, the room everything. If you lay still enough, you don't even feel the water, and so many parts of your body and mind that are usually overstimulated get to chill for 90 minutes.

It's odd, I've been craving to go back. I think I may go again on Boxing Day. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 25 Dec 2013, 4:05 pm

I think that could have some merit. I really think removing all stimulation from the brain is effective sometimes. Since I have quit working and can control my surroundings more, I find this works for me. Not an ideal or exciting life, but it keeps my head happier. I also feel better near the ocean. I heard on a TV show once that the ions in the air are different near the ocean. They also talked about grounding, which is just walking barefoot on earth or sand. That is supposed to be good for you, too. Maybe we could form a migraine commune near on a beach in Florida? Cool 
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 25 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

I'm in the moment I become independently wealthy!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 25 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

It appears that he has been around for many many years. It became popular and then had a decline in popularity after a movie depiction of it that made everyone think that they would go in and hallucinate 60 minutes floating. So in the meantime there's been several companies that it continued on with the popularity has the decreased and is now slowly making increase again.

I personally think that there's a lot to the sensory deprivation part of it. I'm not entirely sure that the actual Sea salt is going to have a huge effect on migraines, but getting rid of all the sensory overload would be really really helpful for me. Zero gravity is very appealing to me as well. The reason this is appealing to me is because it takes off any pressure points. I have not yet been able to locate any decent studies on it. That is not say that they aren't out there I just haven't been able to find them because I haven't been looking yet.

The history on floating therapy is kind of interesting. I'll post something if I can when I have a little bit more time in my hands.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 02 Jan 2014, 1:14 am

Actually sounds pretty relaxing!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down