The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nitrous helped- a good day

4 posters

Go down

Nitrous helped- a good day Empty Nitrous helped- a good day

Post  sconesail Tue 10 Feb 2015, 2:22 pm

Hi All,

I posted here a while ago that I had to see the Dentist for a crown. He used nitrous during the procedure. The surprising thing was the effect the nitrous had on the headache- I had several good days and didn't need as much breakthrough medication for about a week afterwards.

I told my father and we started to do some research. The headache was so bad this weekend that I felt like it was time for an IV of Depakan. I also did some research and talked about it with a family friend who has migraine and is a dentist. Well, I thought, it couldn't hurt to ask my dentist about it.

I called yesterday morning explained the situation and the receptionist said, "So you want to come in for nitrous- we can do that, let me check with the Dentist." The receptionist gave me a price- reasonable. I went in at 11:30 and got about an hour of nitrous. It is amazing. Woke this morning with very little pain- something that has not happened in years. I'm touching wood, praying, and hoping as I write this. But I just wanted to share this with you.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Nitrous helped- a good day Empty Re: Nitrous helped- a good day

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 10 Feb 2015, 8:26 pm

That is so awesome!  Good for you. 
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Tue 10 Feb 2015, 9:17 pm

Yay! So glad you found something helpful. I hope the relief continues and you can try it again when needed. Its great your dentist was accommodating...I'm surprised they were willing to take up one of their treatment chairs without dental treatment.

So I'm curious--have you tried oxygen before? That as you probably know is a common cluster headache treatment, and likely way more feasible for home use. Thanks for the update. Best wishes.

I found a couple mentions of nitrous oxide being used to treat migraines:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10337883
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18789357
http://www.neuraxon.com/pdf/van%20der%20Kuy%20and%20Lohman%20Pharm%20World%20Sci,%202003,%2025,%20146-151.pdf

tortoisegirl
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Wed 11 Feb 2015, 9:41 pm

Hi,

I have had oxygen before. It has been quite a while though. I tried it for about a month shortly after I was diagnosed. (17 years ago) I also usually got it while in the ER for a migraine. It did help some.

I was actually kind of surprised that my dentist was willing to let me try it- particularly as he is my dentist. He bought the practice from my old dentist a few months ago after Dr. R, old dentist was diagnosed with cancer. Dr S kept all of the staff. The old dentist and several of the hygenists there know about my migraine history. I think he was also willing to help because of the positive effects the nitrous produced after the crown was placed about a month ago. I am extremely fortunate to have his help. He actually had me come in around lunch time, when they would have some space available. I have told them that it has worked surprisingly well. He said that if I needed it again, all I had to do was call and they would work me in. (I do have to pay out of pocket for treatment, but it is still less than the cost of an infusion.)

I sleep with a CPAP mask every night as I have mild sleep apnea. The CPAP is one of the very few things that really helps the fainting. I asked about trying oxygen on bad fainting days, but no one was really willing to do it. I may ask my neuro about this when I see him in a few weeks. When they stop the nitrous, they do wean you off and give just oxygen for a few minutes.

I'm not sure exactly how or why the nitrous oxide works for the headache. I know that it seems to reduce some of the inflammation with the headache. I have an implanted occipital nerve stimulator. I have it on most of the time and barely even notice the stimulation. However, about 30 minutes in, I noticed that I could feel the stimulation more- usually happens with some anti-inflamatories with me. Not sure why it works, just happy it does.

I haven't changed anything med wise. I have not needed as much of the breakthrough medications though. It is nice to have another "tool" in the toolbox to treat the migraine.

I know the effects will wear off eventually, but until them I'm just going to enjoy feeling well for the first time in years. I've been able to get a lot done, haven't had to take as much medication and just be ok. (again, knocking on wood and praying as I type.) I was able to get stuff around the house done, go to lunch with some very good friends, and tomorrow I'm headed up to see my boyfriend for the weekend.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 2:50 pm

Maybe it's the vasodialation action it has :http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/109/25/3106.long

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down