The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silverfish problem....

4 posters

Go down

Silverfish problem.... Empty Silverfish problem....

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 20 May 2011, 9:45 pm

I seem to be having an increasing silverfish problem at home,yikes!!!

It seem to coming from outside thru the vents and all the many cracks the place has (it's a 50y.o house)
but I am not too sure, as I've seen them sliding out from under the baseboards, mostly.

I am very worried as I have a vast library, and I read online they eat books! affraid

Does anybody have an experience how to deal with these tiny disgusting, gray, nocturnal creatures?
They seem to be immune to the white powder they offered to me at the local Home Depot for creepy crawlies.
Right now all I do is hunt for them with a flashlight. I am going a bit crazy with this, too....

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silverfish problem.... Empty Re: Silverfish problem....

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat 21 May 2011, 4:43 am

Risa, No help here, just sympathy. After our stinkbug issues, I understand completely!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sat 21 May 2011, 7:41 am

diatomaceous earth.

It may be in the powder they sold you. If it is, then yes, with time it will work. If it's not in there you should get some. Food grade, pure diatomaceous earth.

You can put it directly on your books etc and keep the pesky buggers away.

It works by making tiny cuts in the bugs exoskeleton and it makes them dry up and die. Not a quick process but a non-toxic and effective one. Just make sure you don't get pool grade...that stuff is toxic.

milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela Sun 22 May 2011, 9:35 am

get out your caulking gun and find those cracks. Seal all along the baseboards, top and bottom so they don;t have access in. They like moisture so there is a clue for you. Around bathroom pipes and any tiny entry way.

The powder does work for me, but it sounds like you have a fresh supply and don't see that it might be working.

DONT LET THOSE BASTARDS WIN!!!!
Angela
Angela
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 22 May 2011, 5:49 pm

Thank you for your advice, guys.

I will buys this diato.. stuff for sure.

Angela, with this house it's impossible to seal all the cracks, if you only could see my house!
The spaces under the entry doors alone, agh!!

Btw, lol, precisely the bathroom is the best sealed room in the entire house as it was completely renovated
upon us buying the place. Them nasty critters enter the place thru the heating vents.
And the window screen, maybe, if they can fit thru.

My house is a bit over 50 years old and part of it a later addition to the garage,
there is no room that is not crooked and having at least a thread sized crack.

I am hoping that in the fall we wil be able to work out some deal with a bank to either renovate it completely
or better yet, rebuild it.

Thanks for your advice Angela, all the same but most of all your energetic encouragement! Smile

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down