The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?...

+2
Paradox
Cluelesskitty
6 posters

Go down

IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?... Empty IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?...

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 24 May 2011, 10:54 pm

I think we had discussed this subject some time ago - Aspirin delivered via IV injection:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/PainManagement/iv-injected-aspirin-migraine-treatment/story?id=11685733

So, has anyone been given this kind of treatment anywhere yet, and if yes, with what result?

"Researchers reviewed records of 168 patients hospitalized in London for chronic daily headaches and were given an average of five doses of intravenous (IV) aspirin. Two thirds of the patients reported a decrease in pain following the treatment"

I wonder if it's indeed as effective as they make it sound just because it's IV.
It's still just aspirin.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?... Empty Re: IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?...

Post  Paradox Wed 25 May 2011, 7:04 pm

But, I remember back in the day, when excedrin...aspirin and caffiene...would take care of my migraines. It was back in my teens but it worked.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?... Empty Re: IV aspirin - was anybody offered this treatment, ever?...

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 25 May 2011, 9:35 pm

Yes, early in my days a combo caffeine + aspirin or acetaminophen + phenacetine used to help me, too
but still.. aspirin, as successful as that?

So, where are the treatments given and who gets them, then?

Do you know anybody? did you get one? I know I didn't.. not that I would want to have it.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu 26 May 2011, 11:23 am

Never tried it but I'd be willing to.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu 26 May 2011, 6:55 pm

Well one advantage, besides getting the medication effect sooner, would be that it would avoid the problem of stomach upset for those people who have that problem with aspirin.

It certainly would be worth trying if your local hospital gives it.
I just found out Toradol is basically the same as ibuprofen, just stronger.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 26 May 2011, 11:59 pm

hmm, never had it tried on me, but can see why.

i'm putting a guess out there that with what aspirin can do, there needs to be close lab work to follow.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 27 May 2011, 1:17 am

I am not sure I follow Marc, can you elaborate, please?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri 27 May 2011, 10:57 am

Blood clotting issues would be a concern I would think. Don't cut yourself after a treatment.

alli
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  LynelleH Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:34 am

I asked my neuro about this today and sadly she had not heard of it.
LynelleH
LynelleH
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down