The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cushings Disease/Syndrome

+2
Greeneyes
Porsche Fan
6 posters

Go down

Cushings Disease/Syndrome Empty Cushings Disease/Syndrome

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 03 Dec 2011, 12:04 am

I had two dogs with Cushing's Disease. Typically it's a tumor of the pituitary or the adrenal glands which causes ACTH production and elevated cortisol levels. A very destructive and difficult to treat disease.

Ha, what's funny is I had an ACTH stimulation test this week, and my cortisol levels were high before going into the test. I have a follow up test next. We could be onto a new-onset problem with my pititary tumor. This thing does cause H/A and migraine.

I find it quite odd....2 dogs from different litters both have it, and it's a possibiity that I have it. It doesn't transfer to humans. But the odds....it's like winning the 300 million mega millions a few times in a row.

Just my luck. My doc was awesome. I had an early morning appt, had the test, and follow up phone call from him the next morning. More tests to come.

But, a bit interesting, in an odd way.

A bit of history....I've had several cortisol tests done over the past 8 years, and this is the first one out of whack, and it was deviated enough to show it's probably not a fluke. Fun!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Cushings Disease/Syndrome Empty Re: Cushings Disease/Syndrome

Post  Greeneyes Sat 03 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Thinking and praying for you Marc..you are way to nice..and too young for all of this.

I love you Blessings,
Greeneyes

Greeneyes
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 03 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

Oh gosh, Marc.
I was researching Cushing's about two years ago, and it is NOT fun to have.

The good news is, if you are going to be treated for it, chances are it may help the migraines as sometimes people with Cushing's
suffer with migraines, and if I am not mistaken you were lately complaining of their increase.
So who knows, maybe it is all related.

Still I'd rather if you don't have it... so sorry you may have it.

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sat 03 Dec 2011, 7:48 pm

Keep us posted, Marc.

Anna's cortisol has never been super high, but it has been as low as 1-3.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:12 am

i'd really rather not have cushing's disease, but we know my pituitary isn't working right. now we have to see what's going on with the kidneys and adrenals.

had a horribly irrated stomach this morning and a lot of flank pain. i'm wondering if my gallbladder is acting up, or i have a blasted kidney stone.

i see my family doc on wednesday.

stuff never ends, but thanks everyone for your support--and i send positive vibes right back at ya.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm

Any more news on the Cushings Disease, Marc?

It IS very concerning that you've had two dogs with the same thing. It makes one wonder if there might be an environmental factor involved.

How about the flank pain? I've had kidney stones and had my gallbladder removed, so I know the issues involved there. Hope you're receiving good news on all.

Take care.

tecky
tecky
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm

here's the update...

LOL...we've had this discussion as a laugh with my vets with our dogs. absolutely no human-animal link possible. these are tumors and dysfunction of the endocrine system. boston terriers are prone to all kinds of tumors. having two in a row, not related at all is like winning the lottery. my issue, well...who knows, that's like winning the lottery a few times and being struck by lightning.

my neuro-endo ordered two 24 hour urine studies for cortisol and creatinine. i think he's suspecting an adrenal/kidney disorder that's being kicked off by the pituitary tumor, or there could be another tumor. today i had 2mm slice abdominal/pelvis CT. that wasn't too bad except for getting another big dose of radiation.

i have some lab work and the studies to do--oh, fun. but, this should give the docs some more information. hopefully by the end of next week i'll have some test results. i know i'll have the CT results and copy of the study available since I ordered it when i registered.

i'm fighting off a sinus infection now, so that's not making life easier. and a giant low pressure with high wind is ripping through, so my head is a bit unhappy.

other than that, i'm doing ok.

thanks. king
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

Hang in there friend and please keep us up to date.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down