The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twynsta...

3 posters

Go down

Twynsta... Empty Twynsta...

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:59 am

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=5995

Does anyone knows this medication? one of my Polish friends was recently discovered to have a heart disorder and pulmonary hypertension,
something to do with mitral valve damage or such - I am not quite sure what (not prolapse, though),
and as a result she was Rx-ed Twynsta.
An unexpected side effect of this was a total disappearance of migraine!!! A total !! Y-A-Y !!

It's like a miracle has happened. wow.. I wish it happened to me, lololol, even if at the cost of having heart disorder..

Perhaps Twynsta could be better for 'regular' migraine that a calcium blocker alone? has anyone tried this ever?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Twynsta... Empty Re: Twynsta...

Post  7777Trinity Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:09 am

Twynsta is similar to Norvasc, it holds blood vessels open so they can't constrict.

I tried Norvasc and ended up in the ER with horrific migraine. For me, I have to have a vaso constrictor to abort migraine.

That said, I imagine there are many people who do well with an expander like this for cardiovascular, blood pressure and even migraine Smile

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:36 pm

Trinity has some good info.

Twynsta isn't anything new...it's a combination of an ARB and a Calcium Channel Blocker as Trinity says. It's Norvasc + Micardis (brand). Trade name is amlopidine + telmisartan.

Pulmonary HTN is serious, serious business. I get measured for it every time I have a heart cath.

You can go to your doc and have this prescribed as both can be used for migraines. Norvasc is a vasodilator and is murder on migraineurs. I needed to take it for coronary artery spasms. Worked on my heart but killed my head. Switched to Cardizem CD which is much better on the head, and helps the heart. I'm on an ARB for my heart and bp Atacand which for me works well.

I've been on calcium channel blockers and an arb, plus a beta for going on 10 years as treatment for cardiac disorders--the heart and the other vessel dysfunction cause one type of migraine I have. So it's been out there, and it's actually common for docs to try.

You just hear more about Calan or valsartan on the calicum channel side. There are several ARBs than can be tried. All of them have side-effects.

Cool
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

I tried Norvasc and ended up in the ER with horrific migraine. For me, I have to have a vaso constrictor to abort migraine.

I just wanted to clarify with you, Trinity - have you been taking Twynsta as an abortive medication, then ?
Because they way I understand it, it is supposed to be a preventive not abortive, but then I don't know everything, lolol

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:29 am

Hey Risa

I took Norvasc as a preventative.

I mentioned that I need a vaso constrictor to abort migraines because expanding the vessels brings on horrible migraine for me. Norvasc and Twynsta are both vessel expanders. Using Norvasc as a preventative placed me 24/7 migraine....not fun.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

Thanks! Smile

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty