The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do You Think?

3 posters

Go down

What Do You Think? Empty What Do You Think?

Post  Anna's Mom Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/09/migraine-sufferers-should-try-a-ketogenic-diet/

I ordered the book. Really considering giving this a try for Anna.

Just to say, I've been on Atkins since last May. My health has never been better. My triglyceride level has always been under 100 during my adult life. Since May I have eaten eggs, meat, cheese, cream every day. My triglyceride level last month was tested at 29. A huge drop. All my numbers are better...cholesterol, blood sugar, B.P., weight. I feel great, and I would never want to go back to my old ways. I didn't have a whole lot to lose, but I weigh less now than I did thirty years ago. I never cheat on Atkins, and it has gone very well for me. Thinking about changing to the Perfect Health Diet for more variety, once I read the book.

But I'm really interested in their version of the Ketogenic Diet for migraines, and I'm wondering what you all think of it from the above link.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

What Do You Think? Empty Re: What Do You Think?

Post  Migrainegirl Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

Well it might help migraines if the person has a gluten sensitivity.
Whether it would work for other reasons is probably unclear. Research needed.

My husband has done this diet with success before. I think I would have problems going without carbs altogether, but you never know.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:39 pm

Atkins does allow for some carbs now. It isn't zero carbs.

I don't know what carbs are allowed on the Ketogenic Diet, but the regular Perfect Health Diet allows for some starches, I believe. What intrigues me is the large amount of coconut oil (virgin oil) on this Ketogenic Diet. I consume a lot of coconut oil every day, and I love it.

I have a book written by a neurosurgeon who promotes the same diet for migraines (though with a different oil). So I have read about this before.

There was a guy from Germany who used to post at Ronda's about a super high fat diet for migraines. Risa will remember him.

Interesting it is!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 10 Apr 2013, 4:52 am

I am always willing to try dietary changes for migraine if they don't sound harmful. Everyone's body is so different, you just never know what might work. I would be interested to hear how this works for Anna.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:02 am

The book is getting rave reviews on Amazon by readers who are on the diet. The authors are a married couple--he's an astrophysicist and she is a biologist. They researched everything. It is a high fat diet, but with good fats for your brain and body. I can understand how saturating your brain with good fats can make a difference for neuro problems. Remember the movie called "Lorenzo's Oil?"

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum