The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migra-versary

4 posters

Go down

Migra-versary  Empty Migra-versary

Post  sconesail Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:35 am

I got my first migraine at age 12. They would last anywhere from a few hours to a week. I might miss half a day of school or something. But all that changed on October 28, 1997. This is the story of how it all began.

It was a beautiful fall day in Baltimore, MD. I was playing field hockey- it was the last game of the season. Suddenly, as I looked down the field, I began to see zig-zags and the other team turned into big purple spots. I knew what was happening- I was getting a migraine. I looked at the coach and she pulled me out of the game and sent in a substitute. I walked up to the infirmary to get my migraine medicine. I thought it was just another migraine and would go away in a few days or a week. I had no idea that my life was about to change forever.

I got my first migraine at age 12. The headache would last a few days or a week. I would simply take the Tylenol 3, rest, maybe miss half a day of school and then it would get better. But this one was different- it didn't go away.

On my 17th birthday, I saw my fist neurologist. He diagnosed my with migraine, prescribed Imitrex, a steroid course, and ativan for sleep. This was only the beginning.

Since that October day,
I've taken more medication than I thought possible.
Seen so many neurologists that I have lost count
Had friends drag me kicking and screaming to the ER because they couldn't stand to see me in pain.
I've been hospitalized 5 times.
I've been at seen at 4 headache clinics.
Seen some of the top neurologist in the country
Graduated college and high school on time- (something several doctors told me would never happen.)
had 2 radiofrequency procedures
had an occipital nerve stimulator implanted and have had 4 revisions.
learned that college students will do anything for food. (If you can take me to the doctor, I'll buy you dinner.
I've mastered bribery.
I've mastered the art of faking it until you make it.
Shortly after the headache began, my mother said, "Take the meds, put on the dress and smile/" This has become my motto.
I've had a friend draw a military plan to get me to the dr.
Navigated the intricacies of the medical world.
Learned the meaning of true friendship.
Had several rounds of botox
More IVs than most have in a lifetime
learned that faith and a positive attitude are great assets.
-justified purchases by thinking- well, the book will help and it is cheaper than an ER visit.
-connected with so many people fighting this disease.
I've learned to keep fighting.

Shortly after I was diagnosed, I found this website. I also found that I was not alone. Over the past seventeen years, y'all have been there for me in so many ways. You have given me great advice, listened when I needed to vent, cheered when good things have happened, simple been here. I haven't met a lot of you in person, but I consider all of you to be great friends. Thank you!

Pain free days,

sconesail
full post up at How it all began on Adventures in falling

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Migra-versary  Empty Re: Migra-versary

Post  milo Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks for posting this here Sconesail.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Migra-versary  Empty Loved Your Bio!

Post  Hpfl4relf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:29 pm

I just joined this site but wanted to say I loved your bio!  I'm sure you touched so many out here who can definitely relate. I've always considered myself a tenacious, street-wise, hard working, survivor of some of life's toughest challenges.  Those experiences have challenged me and molded me, through the grace of God, to become the person I am today. Like many others here, I've endured through much to obtain post graduate education only to find myself now unable to work. I Love my polarized sunglasses and the color black!  And, yes, I do often wear my sunglasses at night. (; I've gone from a very outgoing, active person to a modern day  homebound Dracula!  I'm hopeful this forum will offer some ideas that perhaps, I haven't tried and most importantly, help me to not feel so isolated in the dark corner of my still hopeful world. Thank you for sharing.
Hpfl4relf
Hpfl4relf
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 21 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm

Hpfl4relf welcome to Underground!

sorry for the bit of  delay, though. I am sorry to hear after working hard to get your diploma you are too sick to work Sad
A lot of us are unable to work outside of home due to migraine, it just shows how debilitating this disease can be,
yet so many people - medical  professionals  including - doesn't treat is as seriously as it should be.
And you are right, it is so good to be among peeps who know what we are going tru.
I hope the archives will be a lot of help to you, however please do not hesitate to post with questions and suggestions.

Happy posting, Hpfl! cheers

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum