The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful?

+4
Paradox
alli
Cluelesskitty
milo
8 posters

Go down

Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful? Empty Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful?

Post  milo Thu 05 May 2011, 9:02 pm

I know for me, having others who know exactly what I'm going through for support makes such a huge difference. There are times where I couldn't have made it through without my forum support.

The misc side is also vital for me, as it's so nice to make freinds and share information with people that you never have to worry about "getting it" when you are in a bad way.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful? Empty Re: Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful?

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 06 May 2011, 12:22 am

Oh yes I do. It was Ronda's many years ago that practically saved my sanity when my M became so severe
I didn't know it was possible to be that bad!

If I hadn't got in touch with people like me I don't know where I would be today but for sure not as strong mentally
as I am today.
Nothing but nothing beats the support of people who go thru the same stuff,
understand the same kind of pain and struggles we have to go daily through.
I think I would be an abused patient, wife, sister and friend today
if I didn't happen upon Ronda's one day all those years ago!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful? Empty Re: Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful?

Post  alli Fri 06 May 2011, 10:28 am

I love the forums because they are the only place where people really know what we are going through. We understand all the other neurological stuff that comes with the pain. Most non-migrainers just think of the pain, they don't understand all the other stuff. I've got a sister who thinks I am a drug addict because I slur my words and sound drunk when I have a M. If it wasn't for places like this, I don't know how I would have lasted this long.

You understand and help when things are their lowest.

alli
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri 06 May 2011, 1:34 pm

The slurring that Alli mentioned is a perfect example. When I slur or stumble at work I get the "what is she on?" look. Whereas to me the slurring and stumbling are kind of my physical aura to take something and take it NOW cause it's gonna hit hard. Non-migraneurs don't get that.

Non-migraneurs have the perception that I'm in a drug addicted euphoria because I take narcotics everyday. Folks here understand that I'm just bringing the M down to a functional 2/3 from a usual 6/7.

You understand why I don't make social plans and don't have as many friends.

You don't panic when I say "I'm tired of living".

It doesn't matter what time of day or night, the forum is always open.

You "get it" and I love you for it.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri 06 May 2011, 6:19 pm

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has had all these troubles with the medications, and that I'm not alone in all these weird symptoms. While I don't think misery loves company, at least not for me, it is reassuring to know that Im not missing something, or doing something wrong, that what I experience is normal for those with migraines.

It's also a great resource for information. On the disease, on what works and what doesnt. We need to keep hope alive.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri 06 May 2011, 6:42 pm

I do love having a place where I can talk about how much medication I actually take without people thinking that I'm a druggie. Like you Char and Alli, I'm getting more and more neurological changes with the migraines, which I do not discuss with anyone other then you guys. Not even my docs. Cus telling them changes nothing...but you all...you get it. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why do you think migraine forums are so helpful? Empty Its like coming home

Post  angelapet Sat 07 May 2011, 7:48 am

Visiting a migraine forum is like coming home to a family who understand.
I feel safe, comfortable, understood and relaxed.

angelapet
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Mon 30 May 2011, 8:46 pm

It is nice to be able to see what other people are trying, and bounce ideas, treatments and experiences off eachother.

It is nice to know someone actually understands the pain you are in and the life you are forced to live, and not just sympathize without actually knowing or patronize you for it.

It is nice to not be alone, when no one else I actually know has this problem. It is scary thinking you might be the only one with some strange illness no one can treat properly.

If anything I comment on can help just one person find their way through this pain, loneliness, confusion, and angst, then I have actually done something useful!
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Mon 30 May 2011, 9:42 pm

I agree with everyone here that we all get it and can understand one another. There are so many times that only I know how I am feeling because of the ramifications.

I also get more information out of all of you here at the forum than I do from the doctors. Medications that I am on and such. PF told me more in a few posts than the doctors putting me on the medication. When we bounce off each other about meds it is very helpful.

I love the misc section. So many books that I read are from other posters saying how good the book was.

Thank you for this forum!

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down