The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction thread...

5 posters

Go down

Introduction thread... Empty Introduction thread...

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 08 Nov 2012, 12:08 am

Since we have terrific new members, yay!

I thought it would be nice if we say a few words about ourselves so we get to know each other better, eh, guys?
It's been so long since we did that!

So here goes:

I am Risa, I am 55, I live in BC Canada,
I have one daughter, one hubby, one dog, I love to read books,
and I love gardening but migraines and progressing back pain lately screwed that for me. so I moved onto container gardening.
I also occasionally like to take pictures - but make no mistakes, any good photo is a fluke on my part, lolol as I have no idea what I do :]
(if you like I'll post some later?)
I collect silver things, books, beautiful albums - for instance, hand painted flowers, photo albums etc
dolls, goth stuff, other chotchkies, and dust bunnies lolol

I have migraines since early childhood. The earliest I remember is when I was 5 years old.
At 25, they exploded into something from HeII, delivered from Lucifer himself Evil or Very Mad

Not until I was in my early 50-ties and started Topamax they improved a bit.
By 'improved' I mean - from severe 10 and 10+ on a migraine scale episodes occurring at least 2-3 times weekly and lasting 24-48hr on average,
they transformed to less severe, less intense - on average 3-4-5 on a M scale but mostly daily episodes.
However, I much prefer this to those severe, uncontrollable episodes from before.

And, of course, I LOVE smileys !! lololol

But enough about me, I am sure you are bored by now!

Please, please, do tell me something about yourself!!

Introduction thread... Jumpin10

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introduction thread... Empty Re: Introduction thread...

Post  Platypus Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:19 am

Hi,

I'm in the SF bay area, age 51. Migraines started at 30. I was just approved for SSDI. I have intractable migraines, have tried pretty much all conventional and non-conventional therapies, many twice. I still consider myself lucky though, when I hear other folks' stories I feel like they have it worse than me. Maybe all migraineurs feel that way. I don't know.

My interests are music, philosophy, politics, comedy. I used to be a software engineer before the migraines forced me out of work.

It was a happy accident that I found this forum. I did a google search on Benicar AND migraine cos I was looking for info on Benicar and a thread on this forum came up. I had been looking for a migraine forum to join for a little while since I was banned from the yahoo groups migraine forum by the nazi moderator.Evil or Very Mad

-Platy
Platypus
Platypus
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:28 pm

Welcome, Platypus!!
cheers

I am glad you found us, not glad it is because you have migraine!

I hope we well get along just fine.
We do have some rules, about which you can read here:
https://migrainehelp.forumotion.net/t8-forum-rules

As long as everybody respect the rules to a "t", there should be no problems Smile

happy writting, then !

Introduction thread... Typing10

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:30 pm

Hiya!

I'm also a Canadian living in the Vancouver area. I'm nearing forty and have had severe migraines since eleven years ago. I have no idea where they came from but my brother and mom also have them. I have been through so many treatments that I now hate going to the doctors.

I get Botox and nerve blocks every ten weeks but they have not been working too well lately.

Welcome to all the newbies!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:01 pm

Okay, I'll bite Smile

I am 57 years old, I was a Med / Surgical Tech for years, left that and work in HR in a hospital for a few years, went back to school, Seminary, got ordained as a non-denominational Pastor.

Currently I live in Kentucky with my husband who is a Methodist Pastor and has a church. We have 5 children, 3 son-in-laws, one daughter-in-law, three grandchildren all born this year Smile Our oldest son is still single and in grad school.

I like to write, I have a vegetable garden every spring/summer and can all my vegetables. I like to cook new things.

The bad: I have had cancer three times, breast cancer in 1997 and bilateral mastectomies, thyroid cancer november 2011 and January 2012, total thyroidectomy the results. Migraines are from a cranial injury from a motorcycle accident when I was 15. Had Occipital lobe injections, cervical facet injections and ablation of the ganglion nerve at C-2 on both sides, worsening migraines after those.

Lisonopril seems to be helping though now, possibly a heart issue causing migraines not sure. The good, I've lost 25 pounds this year and have another 25 pounds to go, hoping to have that off by April.

Just hanging in here, starting to wake up again, but may take awhile to be truly alive again. Smile
Trinity

7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:32 am

hi all-

I'm Sara, age 33, and I live in Kansas.

I've been dealing with migraines since my teens. I was lucky through high school and college (the first time), but the migraines rose in intensity through the end of last year. I'm not entirely sure why they've tapered off, but I'm rejoicing, not complaining about it.

I've got degrees in Elementary Education and Respiratory Therapy (RT), and I work nights as a RT in a large local hospital. I think the night job has helped my head, since the nurses dim the lights after 9PM, and I'm not dealing with glare or fluorescent lights flickering, plus the place is quieter, since sleeping pts are not whiny pts. It also helps that most of my co-workers don't use perfume/cologne, since it can be a problem for more than just the migraine population.

Therapies I've tried: midrin (stopped working/off the market), all the triptans (some work still others, meh), cafergot (worked well for sinus/forehead), nutritional supplements (nada), lexapro and amitrpitaline (no help/no foul), going dairy free (joke, but stupid neuro insisted), different birth control(mixed results), IV fluids and IV nausea meds (good, but inconvenient-requires the doctor's office/ED), Topamax (never again), torodol injections(good, but inconvenient-requires the doctor's office/ED)and, skelaxin and flexaril (great for tension triggering a migraine, zip for getting rid if it once it starts)

Sorry if that last block was too long, it just made sense to lump all that together.

Hobbies- what are those? I just graduated last December, and I'm still catching up on lost sleep. Sleep

No, seriously, I like to bake, crochet and I read a ton. Amazon's kindle saved my house from looking like a library. study

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:03 am

Thanks, Trinity and Sarah!

I love it when we migraine Under-gang are talking together!

I hope more will join in, pleeese!!

Introduction thread... Gossip10

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down