The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to work for Doctors without Borders

4 posters

Go down

I want to work for Doctors without Borders Empty I want to work for Doctors without Borders

Post  milo Wed 24 Nov 2010, 12:37 pm

So....there are big changes coming to my world. I have done quite a bit of work outside of Canada, but it was when I was much younger.

I have always wanted to work with Doctors Without Borders, but I have been pretty "stuck" here with things like my job, pets and a mortgage.

The job appears to be changing in a very big way, which was my number one roadblock. The second would be selling our home, or at least finding a way for it not to cost what it costs for us to live there.

So with all these things moving in a direction towards more freedom to volunteer with DWB, I've encountered one more roadblock....my damn head.

I would be volunteering for at least nine months, possibly a year. And while I suppose I could take my botox with me, there would be no way at all to ensure it stays cold, so it would not be an option. I also can't see me being able to bring a large enough supply of pain meds and triptans.

I'm quite depressed about this. My wife and I have so many cool options open to us, yet I am stuck as if tethered to my pain doctor and his treatments. Sad
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

I want to work for Doctors without Borders Empty Re: I want to work for Doctors without Borders

Post  Angela Wed 24 Nov 2010, 2:17 pm

Just an idea, and something to think about and give a try. (my pep talk to you) Adjustment to proceedure and attitude, and then give your dream a try.

I met a supplier and we became friends. She approached migraines differently than I, so I tried her way, and my adjustment in proceedure had made a difference in helping me control them.

My adjustment involved acting the moment I thought I might get a migraine, even if pain didn't start and I wasn't sure. Acting right away instead of waiting for pain to confirm it. I would drink coffee and take ibuprophen or excedren for migraine (from the states). I was getting fewer episodes because I was blasting it sooner. Then when I did get migraines, I would blast it with everything. 3 ibuprophen, T3 and Imitrex and a muscle relaxant and off to bed. I'm suffering less days. (but taking more OTC's)

As for attitude, I always held the beleif that, I was suffering anyways, might as well suffer while I am occupied and doing what I love.

You are already doing that Milo, you might as well see if you can do that elsewhere. My friend suffers just as bad as me, but when she went to China for a week she never had a single migraine and could not figure it out as to why. We don't know why we get them in the first place.

This is your dream and your life, Milo. All manner of great people have migraines and get up and see it through and so can you. Break down your obsticles one at a time into managable pieces until you find yourself on the airplane to your first destination. If it doesn't work, then you come back with your head held high. You don't need to solve your entire life's plan. Just one trip at a time.

Go get em tiger.
Angela
Angela
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

I want to work for Doctors without Borders Empty Re: I want to work for Doctors without Borders

Post  lesherb Wed 24 Nov 2010, 5:24 pm

Milo,

I am so impressed with Medecins Sans Frontieres. That was the organization to which I contributed after the tsunami a few Christmases ago. One of my children's pediatricians volunteered for a year with them. It must be so fulfilling to give in that way.

Angela has given you great advice. I just want to encourage you to do what you can. If it doesn't work out, then you will know you gave it a try and won't have that "what if" question hanging over you.

Would you be able to select where you will go? If so, you could try a climate that is not as tough on us migraineurs, perhaps?

If you decide this is too large of a bite for you to take out of life, then I am sure you can find something closer to home and easier on you. Either way, I'm sure your contribution will be well received.

All my best,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Topix Thu 25 Nov 2010, 7:31 am

Hi Milo,
if I were a doctor I would evaluate it, too. I think this is a great experience which helps others.

My OB-gyno has been in medicins sans frontieres and recently I met a plastic surgeon who's been in countries where the war is still raging. He helped kids who had been injured by bombs. What a brave guy! I would have spent most of the time feeling sorry and crying for those kids...

As for your personal project, I'd risk despite the migraine.
Maybe, focusing on such an important task will help.

You can get in touch with somoene from the organization and agree for a special delivery of migraine drugs in your case. I think that they need good personnel so they won't miss a volounteer just because the rules don't allow to bring more than a certain quantity of pills....

Topix
Topix
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu 25 Nov 2010, 1:56 pm

There would be no way to make any arrangements, as there is no way to know where you will go from month to month.

I would need to be able to travel with any and all of the medications that I need, as well as risk not having them at all.

These are things I am more then willing to do. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down