The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading now?....

4 posters

Go down

What are you reading now?.... Empty What are you reading now?....

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 20 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

I am reading "What the Body Remembers" by Shauna Singh Baldwin.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/What-the-Body-Remembers-Shauna-Singh-Baldwin/9780676973181-item.html

It is quite interesting, about the culture totally foreign to me so I am learning a lot on the go.
The only thing, I am not so much into politics, although in this book it is written in a fairly fast, absorbing pace so it's quite acceptable for "politically- impaired".

Truth be told, all in all I find it very disturbing, for I am a mother, so I can't wait to finish this.

To balance the sadness I already am set on something light and funny next - probably some silly detective story like Stephanie Plum series or Betsy form the "Undead and ... " series.
Then I might latch onto memoirs of a psychiatric ward doctor from Bellevue - sound so interesting -
Weekends At Bellevue
By Julie Holland
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/search/?keywords=Bellevue&pageSize=12

What are you reading currently?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you reading now?.... Empty Re: What are you reading now?....

Post  Paradox Sun 20 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

I am reading "Pill Head : the secret life of a painkiller addict" by Joshua Lyon.

I do opioid pain management and am terrified of addiction. My body is physically dependent on them but I have never had a craving for them etc. This book rather confirmed to me that no, I am not addicted, I did not see myself in any of the behaviors. BUT, it was written by a person who took it recreationally. I know there are many addicts out there who started out simply needing pain relief.

I also just got the new edition of my favorite magazine "Mental Floss".
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:04 am

That sound very interesting, Gotta look into that!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Thu 24 Mar 2011, 1:26 am

I am relistening (I can't do much reading) to a book by one of my favorite authors, Laurie R. King. My favorite series of hers is the Mary Russell series, which is predicated upon the question, "What if the world's greatest detective was a woman instead of a man?" So she created a partner for Sherlock Holmes! Mary Russell is a 15-year-old girl when she meets Holmes in The Beekeeper's Apprentice, and he treats her disdainfully, cowing her until her calls her, "My young man." At that point, her temper flares back at him, she pulls off her hat, shows her long braids, and tells him that it is a good thing that he has retired from his detective job if he can't even tell a man from a woman! It was a great scene!

He becomes so amused that he takes her in, first as his apprentice, then as his assistant, and finally as his partner. As a spoiler (but not really since the series makes much of this fact), they get married at the end of the second book! They are the perfect detective pair in every way, and I love the way that King gives so much power to so many different women characters in the books.

Anyway, I am relistening to a book in King's other main series. I think she has a few other stand-alone books, but these are the two series for which she is the most famous. In that one, the first being A Grave Talent, it features a woman detective in San Francisco who has to find a killer. I don't remember it too clearly because it's been a while since I listened to it. Maybe now it's available digitally, but when I listened to it, it was only on cassette, and the only ones available for me were used at the time, so not in good condition. The spoiler (but once again which was well advertised) was that all along, we've been hearing about Lee, a person who lives with Kate Martinelli, but it isn't until the very end that we learn that Lee is her lesbian lover. Because Kate is a cop, she is so afraid of the stigma of being gay that she doesn't tell anyone until Lee gets shot by Kate's suspect (spoiler again, I'm sorry!) But that makes her stand up for Lee and force the department to cover her as they would a spouse. The book was seen as pretty revolutionary, as it jumped the bridge between queer studies and popular fiction.

In the current book I'm listening to, The Art of Deduction, Kate finds a dead body dressed only in his PJs, and when they go to his home, they find that he has turned into into a shrine to Sherlock Holmes, whom they are informed isn't dead because his obituary has never appeared in the London Times (or whatever is the main newspaper in London; I'm sorry for my ignorance, my British friends!). So they have to immerse themselves in the world of Sherlock Holmes in order to solve this mystery. It's very entertaining.

But since we're talking about audio books, let me just put in my whine that my iPod broke down a couple weeks ago! Fortunately, it did before I figured out what I wanted my parents to get me for my birthday, so that is now going to be my birthday present. My dad wondered if I'd rather get an iPhone because a smart phone was supposed to be my Christmas present, but I haven't been well enough when my parents have been up to going to the store with me to get a new phone. But I learned that the iPhone doesn't have a lot of storage space, so I'd rather get an iPod with more storage. I need an iPod and not another format since I've already downloaded hundreds of books in the iPod format, which is proprietary, and I'd have to do that with all the books again using the other format if I got another device, so iPod it is!

On the other hand, the good news is that it has forced me to listen to my CDs, which I have ignored for a long time because they are less convenient than listening to an iPod because I have to keep changing them. But that means that there are several books I haven't heard in a long time, since I never got around to ripping them to the iPod. The problem with ripping CDs is that sometimes when I transfer them to my iPod, when the normal order is 1a, 1b, 1c, etc., for disk 1 and then 2a, 2b, 2c, etc. for disk 2, and so forth, sometimes it mixes them up into 1a, 2a, 3a, etc. 1b, 2b, 3b, etc. Not a good way to listen to a book! If anyone has any ideas how to deal with this on iTunes let me know because the computer tech who came to fix my dad's computer had no idea despite using iTunes himself!
VickiG
VickiG
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 25 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

he treats her disdainfully, cowing her until her calls her, "My young man." At that point, her temper flares back at him, she pulls off her hat, shows her long braids, and tells him that it is a good thing that he has retired from his detective job if he can't even tell a man from a woman! It was a great scene!

woooooo... that's a hot scene!
Seem like a great book indeed, you got me interested.
I am going to put this on my Wish List at Chapters, and in due time I will get to read it.

The other one also seem very promising. I love mysteries.

I read the Book of Souls a while ago, I have to be honest it probably wasn't as fascinating for me as it was for you,
but still I had a good time with it, I did enjoyed reading it Smile

Of course, now I am wondering - am I BTH or is there my DoD somewhere before that? Or is all that pure fiction?
It's probably the last, lololol

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:27 pm

I just finished "why not say what happened" by Ivanna Lowell and heir to Guiness beer. You think life is so wonderful in the English upper crust, her grand mother was good friends with the Queen Mum, but they were all so distant from their kids that they floundered in drugs and alcohol. The authors sister died at 17 of a drug overdose. The author didn't find out who her true father was until some said "you do know who your real father is, don't you?" at a lunch the day after her mother died. Yikes! Her step father was a well regarded poet, Robert Lowell, who tragically had terrible bipolar disorder.

Tough life, and we sit and think how easy it would be if we only hadthat kind if $$. Wrong!
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 03 Apr 2011, 5:18 pm

I just seen a bit of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" on HBO.
I still have unwatched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" saved, and now I see on Telus Preview (Telus is one of our TV cable and Internet providers) that The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest is available on video channel and soon on HBO free preview channel, too!

I looked up IMDb

and looks like the first movie came out with English subtitles (that's what's on HBO now) in 2009:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/
the secodn I dunno but on HBO they spoke some English and the rest was with E captions
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216487/
the third:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/

looks like has English subtitles.

And my oh my, for some reason the book I am reading "What the Body Remembers" although fascinating in its own way
is not immersing me as much as I wish it would, so I still haven't finished it yet.... eeek.

So geezzz!, I still haven't read the The Girl trilogy... affraid

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

Just got "Chocolate and Vicodin : my quest for relief from the headache that wouldn't go away" by Jennette Fulda.

Why did hubby laugh and shake his head when he saw the title? silent
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 04 Apr 2011, 3:52 am

Charlotte, you must be a speed reader! I am still at same lousy book this whole time !
and you read what - two?? Shocked

Vico and choco -hmm maybe hubby thought you are into cooking Wink

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you reading now?.... Empty Tina Fey memoir

Post  lentils Mon 04 Apr 2011, 8:15 am

The title is, I think, "Bossypants" and it will be out in a few days. I've already preordered it.

lentils
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 04 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

Tine Fey, eh?
Can't wait for your opinion.

I often wondered how far removed is their life from ours- a mere, tiny mortals...

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down