The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fear of overdose

+4
sconesail
Sara79
Migrainegirl
milo
8 posters

Go down

Fear of overdose Empty Fear of overdose

Post  milo Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

I know this is not a topic many are comfortable with talking about.

When I'm in so much pain, I sometimes take more (or much more) of my meds then I should. Maybe sometimes I also accidentally take an extra dose, because I'm a little out of it from the meds. I get stupid from my migraines, that is, one of my migraine symptoms is a foggy head, so sometimes I may take too many in error.

I lost a sibling to a possible suicide/ accidental overdose, so I know I carry that risk.

I worry about it sometimes, but the pain is so bad sometimes that I take a few more risks.

I wish I knew what the real max is and not just the "careful max" that comes along with studies and research.

milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fear of overdose Empty Re: Fear of overdose

Post  Migrainegirl Fri 02 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

Yes that can be a problem. I recommend you make a written record of what you take and when to help when your judgement is impaired. I also make sure I wait at least 30 minutes before taking a second dose of anything so it has time to take effect.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm

I've done as migraine girl and written doses down, so that if I do overdo things, there's a record of what I took and when. I have been in pain to where I'm stupid and forgotten what I took and when, and then taken over the recommended dosage, so this helps me, especially if hubby is requesting I take more. He's a bigger wuss about me hurting than I am, this way I can show him what I've taken, and ask him what can/should I take NOW! I know it's hard for him to help me when I hurt, it's harder for me to see him with a migraine than it is to have one myself some days.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Sat 03 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

Hi,

I ccompletely understand where you are coming from. I know that when the pain has been really bad, I have, at times done the same thing- usually in order to survive. Charting it is always a good idea though.

The only time I ever experienced an overdose of any kind was in the ER. The drs accidently doubled the amount of IV Depakan that my neuro had ordered. I was also given benedryl, phenergan and pain medication. Howeveer, they ran it in a wide open IV instead of oveer an hour. My breathing dropped to 6 resps a minute and they had to give my another medication to geet it out of my system. The next thing I knew, I was on oxygen and in the step down ICU.

it also depends on the medication.

pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:50 pm

milo,

this is a true concern....especially when in pain. as suggested a log is imporant, espcially when these meds can impair judgement and memory.

i think one really needs to concentrate on what can affect their respiratory system. be careful of things like benadryl if they add it to their list of meds.

at least on my side, most pain meds keep me awake rather than drowsy. what i can rely on is if i get into a situation where something limits my body, my pacemaker will kick in not allowing the heart o slow down.

it's the meds that effect the central CNS that is the big worry.

big problem for sure.

good luck!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun 04 Sep 2011, 6:30 pm

I suppose I really should keep a log. I think with my extra risk that I really shouldn't mess with CNS depressants...but then...when I'm in that much pain I sometimes don't care anymore. Sad but true.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

Been there, done that.

{{{{So sorry Milo sweetie}}}} {{{{hugs hugs hugs}}}}

One of the things that help me is preparing my abortive meds in advance for the day in separate containers -leftovers from previous medications, labels removed, permanent marker-ed with new names.
This way I know I have .... number of pills of Z in this bottle and .... of pills of X in that bottle for today since morning
and as I keep taking them during the day I have a clear idea how much I already took at any given time
and how much is left for the remains of the day.

Second thing I did, I bought a cheap alarm clock with glow-in-the-dark hands, removed the protective glass and every time
I take my pain pills I set the hands at the time I was taking the pills.
That helps remember the time I was taking anything last.

For my preventatives that I take daily, I bought these Sun-Sat pill boxes, and fill them up religiously every time they empty.

Hope that helps a little.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

milo,

gotta be careful with the cns depressants....especially if half awake/half asleep. i think everyone knows what their bodies can handle to a degree, but a mix even if presrcribed can just be enough to cause some big problems.

i know i've had a few meds cause some problems....and at the first chance they got flushed down the toilet and prescription cancelled. don't want to risk stuff.

even when you are in pain and feeling lower than whale-sh1t, gotta be careful. put a post-it next to where your meds are...."be careful."
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

I've been there....and it's scary. It's the pain where I just don't care how much I've taken, I just need to make it go away.

Once, many years ago, I finally got the pain to go away and told hubby to meet me upstairs. Wink wink. The next morning I asked him why he didn't come upstairs. His face fell and he said "I did". Not exactly an ego trip for him.

I have also scared myself, laying in bed thinking "How much DID I take?" and then jumping up and drinking a couple cups of very strong coffee.

My family knows, I've told them, that I would never leave them on purpose. That if I ever die of an overdose it was an accident.

Do I wish I had more will power against pain? Absolutely.
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

I'm in so much pain right now. My new job also demands a clear head, so I can't take anything while at work. I've also got killer nausea and can't take gravol!!!! I missed yesterday because I just couldn't do it. I'm so upset, in pain, and frustrated. ugh
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

I'm very bummed for you. There has got to be something better they can do to help this. It's just crazy thinking people can live this this and stay functional! Seriously. Can't the doctor find something that will work for you? Maybe it's time to find a new approach.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm

Oh sweetie, surely being in such a pain you can't have a clear head either!
Are you sure taking anything will make your head "fuzzy"?

Personally, I feel better after taking something if I am in such a severe pain.

I ditto MG's suggestion to go to your dr to discuss some different approach, then.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

Did you ever look at your bottle of pills and wonder how you could have gone through so many so fast? Or think you had more pills and find you have WAY less that you believed? bounce
02R96
02R96
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

Every single day.. Sad

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

Yes, this is when I figured out I was a mess. Smile That, and going into my bank account to see all kinds of transactions and only having the tiniest recollection of making them.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down