The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dogs and fear of loud noises.

3 posters

Go down

Dogs and fear of loud noises. Empty Dogs and fear of loud noises.

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:15 am

I am on my second dog with this. The last few nights we have had a combo of lightening and thunder. Our male dog Jake(a mostly Golden Ret. mix) is terrified. He will try to crawl on your lap, under beds (I am hiding lots of stuff under the beds these days),, etc. He whines and barks the whole time. I went online and read some suggestions. Tried turning on loud noise in the rooms he is in.Tried sedatives, they just made him wobbly on the stairs. Tried a tight T-shirt-just made him hot. I have made beds for him in closets and laundry room. Last night he finally fell asleep with only his head in the cave I made. I made the cave of his old crate covered with a heavy blanket. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Dogs and fear of loud noises. Empty Re: Dogs and fear of loud noises.

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

Unfortunately, I can't help you Cindy this time.
I have a nervous also, and nothing I do seem to help, either.

Although sometimes if help if I offer him sitting next to me under a blanket he settles for a while, but not for long anyway.
I was always wondering if it is possible to make some kind of earmuffs for dogs, lolol

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm

I think there are some herbal remedies at the pet store you can get to calm them or relax them. My Dog, Garbo, will be 10 in Sept. She never used to be frightened of loud noises, but the older she gets the worse it gets. Thunderstorms, fireworks, loud trains...etc. Maybe they are just more sensitive the older they get? Might be worth trying the herbal stuff though.
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:46 am

Thanks Risa and Steph. I will look for the herbal remedy. I think the cave might work with time, but we will have to see. The only problem is he is a big dog, so the crate takes up a lot of room. Normally, this wouldnt be a problem, but cant leave it set up when people come to see the house! Risa, I think the earmuffs sound good. Maybe you could make them and become rich? Wink
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:46 pm

lolol Cindy I always have a tons of ideas how to make money, only the idea for the execution of my ideas always eludes me!
lololol
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

Me, too. I thought of making indoor playgrounds long before the ones in our area came about. But, no money and no energy to start plans. Many other ideas have come about in my migrainey old brain, but thats as far as they go...
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down