The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common?

+2
30yrsofheadache
Jewishmother
6 posters

Go down

what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common? Empty what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common?

Post  Jewishmother Thu 19 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

My husband found the following abstract of an article:

Stochastic modeling of a serial killer
M. V. Simkin, V. P. Roychowdhury
(Submitted on 12 Jan 2012)

We analyze the time pattern of the activity of a serial killer, who during twelve years had murdered 53 people. The plot of the cumulative number of murders as a function of time is of "Devil's staircase" type. The distribution of the intervals between murders (step length) follows a power law with the exponent of 1.4. We propose a model according to which the serial killer commits murders when neuronal excitation in his brain exceeds certain threshold. We model this neural activity as a branching process, which in turn is approximated by a random walk. As the distribution of the random walk return times is a power law with the exponent 1.5, the distribution of the inter-murder intervals is thus explained. We confirm analytical results by numerical simulation.

The researchers also posit that people with epilepsy experience seizures when their brain hits a threshold level of neuronal excitation. We also feel that my migraines are triggered when that neuronal threshold is breached.............just an interesting connection............L

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common? Empty Re: what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common?

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:08 am

Yikes!!!!!!!!
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common? Empty Re: what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common?

Post  milo Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

Hmmmmm...that explains why I can feel homicidal when I have a migraine!!!!! lol
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm

lol, add me to the "feeling homicidal" around and during migraine list Smile

hmmmm, perhaps this explains why migraine include rage and aggression and irritability as some of the accompanying symptoms?

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

what do serial killers, epileptics and migraineurs have in common? Empty Fire Storm

Post  777Trinity Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

So basically there is a Fire storm going on in the brain of all three.

The serial killer, kills.
The epileptic seizes.
The migrainuer suffers.

Each responds to something they have no control over with a flight or fight response which is guided by a moral compass or lack of one I guess. Violence is one response, the other is to just put the brain to sleep, calm it down and put out the storm.

777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

There is something to mull over here, kiddo, I guess.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm

oh come off it guys....

we aren't degenerate serial killers because of migraines.

nonsense. i can manipulate and correlate data to make it logical why you pick out your chicken at a super market every tuesday and if you like green carpet.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  777Trinity Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:32 am

Porsche Fan wrote:oh come off it guys....

nonsense. i can manipulate and correlate data to make it logical why you pick out your chicken at a super market every tuesday and if you like green carpet.

Good to know you are such a genius porsche, God forbid anyone else have an independent thought to share....
Trinity
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

I originally posted this just as an interesting trivia fact. There is so much they do not know about how our brains function or malfunction. Eventually I hope they will be able to better map my migraine experience. I think that at least for my migraines I get a very short glimpse of what some autistic people experience.............my brain becomes extremely sensitive to any outside stimulation I start to rock or do other types of repetitive motion in order to cope.

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  777Trinity Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:24 am

Jewishmother wrote:I originally posted this just as an interesting trivia fact. There is so much they do not know about how our brains function or malfunction. Eventually I hope they will be able to better map my migraine experience. I think that at least for my migraines I get a very short glimpse of what some autistic people experience.............my brain becomes extremely sensitive to any outside stimulation I start to rock or do other types of repetitive motion in order to cope.

JM

My son is mildly autistic and so am I. Even without migraine, loud noises, excessive movement etc. are challenging. I appreciate that you posted the "trivia" Smile

Obviously there is a malfunction in how the neuro transmitters are firing in all three brains exampled.

When I have had a severe migraine I have rocked too, you are not alone in that. Coping is the key and we have to find what helps each of us get through. Today is bad migraine again, heading off for a Relpax and Xanax, ice pack and the dark cold room again. Trinity
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

Porsche Fan wrote:oh come off it guys....

lol maybe I am not one yet Twisted Evil

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

777Trinity wrote:

Good to know you are such a genius porsche, God forbid anyone else have an independent thought to share....
Trinity

Well, I have to point out Marc does have a point, too. If you really want too, you CAN manipulate data any way you want to...

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:56 pm

Porsche Fan wrote:

het, PF, come to think of it, I got intrigued Very Happy

I DO like chicken Basketball

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

Step 1:

When do you buy your chicken? Hint, if you watch store specials, you'll see chicken on sale in the beginning of the week--it's to move inventory that didn't sell over the weekend.

Firstly, welcome to the forum 777. JM's post was as she said was trivia. I've been a long, long time migraineur and have been through the trenches through just a few battles. I do add some very dry sense of humor.

I've been fighting migraines for a long time, so 777 I do add some thought, and tongue-in-cheek. I'm not linking my migraines to a serial killer.

But regardless, welcome to the forum.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down