The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New pain killers in development

+2
Porsche Fan
Migrainegirl
6 posters

Go down

New pain killers in development Empty New pain killers in development

Post  Migrainegirl Mon 26 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57348477-10391704/painkiller-10-times-stronger-than-vicodin-worries-addiction-experts/

This is very worrisome. It sounds like they are developing much better drugs for those with chronic pain, but the concerns over drug abusers is bringing out the lobbyists against approving such drugs. While preventing drug abuse is fine, it should not become more important than helping those who really need it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

New pain killers in development Empty Re: New pain killers in development

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 27 Dec 2011, 1:18 am

what seems the most important from the patient side is your knowledge and your persuasiveness (or stance) on pain medications. it seems to me as a 10+ year heavy migraineur and a person with neuromuscular and problems with the discs in my back, is your impression that you give to the doc.

also, the documentation of what works, what side effects meds have, and what pain condition and level that you have documented over a period of time is important. back in the day i tied in pain levels in correlation to migraine and had some serious sobering effects for the doc in quantitive form--it's something that he could not argue about.

you take away the subjectiveness like "my head hurts" and assign something like the Wong-faces pain scale and make a spread-sheet. Data can be a strong tool, and of course your own person credibility. it shouldn't be like this, but it is.

i have it down that if they don't control pain, that those treating it could be subject to malpractice.

the docs want to stack the system against you, well....then it's time to use your rights against them.

i have some comments from a doc from acutally not using pain meds.....which really came back to bite him. gosh, it's tough having to go through this but to have to dedicate so much time and effort to make sure you get a standard of care is just too much.

to make my point short, you have to instill the fear of malpractice and its reprocussions into the docs head, while presenting that your an upfront and honest person.

hopefully the new stuff helps us.

...i hate pain meds and their side effects but use them sparingly. However if someone tries to deny me pain-relief, they better have a good reason or face legal consequences.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 7:52 pm

Oh gosh, I hope something new WILL come put for us sufferers, though.

I am sick and tired of having to relay on the same medication in and out in and out in and out.
Not only it lose it efficacy, but I am being looked upon with suspicious eye, grrr.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm

The good news that can balance the perspective for many, is that there are advances in HOW medication is delivered....that is....there are new ways that meds are produced that do not allow for the abuse that you see with so many of the meds that we need to save us from our pain.

Much abuse comes from people crushing, snorting, injecting etc of the very meds that many of us need. The new medications can be made in a pill that does not allow them to be abused in that way. Hopefully newer, stronger meds will come out in this form so we can remove a bit of those abuse type concerns.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:09 am

Hi All,

If any of the newer drugs- the pure forms of hydrocodone- had come out 10 or 15 years ago- they, like oxycontin, would have been hailed as a breakthrough in the war against pain. Unfortunately, in the past ten years, the perception that a pain medicine may be abused as oxycontin was and is colors the desicion to place it on the market.

Frankly, I believe that the FDA and the medical profession should look first at the efficacy of the medication when used for its intended purpose rather than jump to playing defense. I really feel that they should look at the benefits to those in pain first. Does the medication work? What are the side effects? Will it damage the body or other organs in the long run? (The forms of this particular medicine on the market now will damage the liver because they are mixed with acetomeniphen.

But, the abuse question should not keep a medication that will help people out of the market entirely. Also, if it is time release- they could very easily use a more tamper resistent formula.

The patients suffering should be the first priority, not the fear of abuse.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:51 am

unfortuneately scone, most docs don't look at patients in that light. some people really have to push, or have good relationships with their docs.

i'm firmly in belief in this system that the more education you have, the more "in the know" you are, and what the doctor views as their own personal liability factors heavily.

i tend to get what i ask for....at the same time it all is in reason.

adding a medication with tylenol for me, is just absolutely dangerous. agree completely.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Sun 01 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

I personally think that you have to have a good relationship with your DR, BUT you also have to have a DR that understands and respects migraine itself. There are many Neurologists that don't believe pain management, as opposed to "prevention" is the way to go. Well, without managing pain it can be really hard to tell if the preventative is even working. I have had many Dr's treat me poorly because they don't believe, understand, or respect what a migraine can do. I often equate this to being a scientist, as in if you can't see it, it must not exist...

Anyways just wanted to ring in. I am fortunate that my Dr provides me with what I need. We coordinate care plan approaches together. Ever since I started seeing her, I got a breath of fresh air. It has been almost 6 years now, and I still bring new ideas to the table. She respects what I ask and say and although at times I feel bad asking for more medication, it isn't because of her. It is more because I don't want to have to ask for it because I dont' want to need it!! lol
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down