The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me

5 posters

Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me

Post  777Trinity Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

Well, after spending 16 of the last 19 days in migraine, we are on a new adventure. My physician ordered a blood pressure medication to try as a preventative to migraine.

I already have low B/P but this is a low dose med, I'll take it at night and hopefully any side effects will be worn off by morning.

Has anyone tried this and if so what was your experience?

Trinity

Last edited by 777Trinity on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty Re: CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me

Post  Migrainegirl Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

I just tried a BP medication, Nadolol. I also had low blood pressure so I was a little worried.
Initial results were good. Frequency of migraines was lower for first few months, then it creeped back up again.

The only problem I had was that I was really sleepy alot. I would get 10 hours of sleep, and not want to wake up in the morning. Then I'd sleep for 3 hours in the afternoon. Really a hard deep sleep. I found out from some friends that they had had to stop taking BP medication due to the drowsiness, then the light bulb went off as to what my problem was!

So I just stopped taking it a few weeks back. No Increase in migraines, so I guess no harm done. It was worth a shot. You may not have that side effect, but it is something to watch for.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty Migrainegirl

Post  777Trinity Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:13 pm

Migrainegirl wrote:I just tried a BP medication, Nadolol. I also had low blood pressure so I was a little worried.
Initial results were good. Frequency of migraines was lower for first few months, then it creeped back up again.

The only problem I had was that I was really sleepy alot. I would get 10 hours of sleep, and not want to wake up in the morning. Then I'd sleep for 3 hours in the afternoon. Really a hard deep sleep. I found out from some friends that they had had to stop taking BP medication due to the drowsiness, then the light bulb went off as to what my problem was!

So I just stopped taking it a few weeks back. No Increase in migraines, so I guess no harm done. It was worth a shot. You may not have that side effect, but it is something to watch for.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will work and I won't be a zombie Smile Glad to hear you are doing okay without the B/P med, hopefully it will stay that way!

Trinity
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty Re: CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

Trinity, I understand it was a mistake when you wrote about Normast-
the intended was Norvasc -
I however meantime got intrigued about Normast and looked it up.
is it available in USA or Canada? I would like to give it a try.

btw good luck with Norvasc.
Myself, long time ago I tried Inderal, without much success, BUT- in my youth - I was 25 and + at a time,
none of the available preventative medication made any impression on me.

Hopefully it's not the case with you.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

Please let us know how Norvasc, (amlopidine) works Trinity. It's not often prescribed for migraine as it's primarily a cardiac medication to 1. control hypertension, and 2. to really treat angina and acute coronary spasm.

One of the largest problem with Norvasc is that it's chief side effect outside of elevating heart rate is that it actually gives the patient a severe headache. Hopefully you have good luck with it as it was murder with mine.

Diltiazem CD or Verapamil are good choices for calcium-channel blockers for migraine prevention. These meds mainly will not halt a migraine, but to help to prevent them.

I was treated with Norvasc primarily for cardiac treatment however it was discontinued due to very severe headache in me.

Good luck!

http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=562

Some info on Norvasc.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty Norvasc

Post  777Trinity Sat 14 Jul 2012, 6:20 am

Cluelesskitty wrote:Trinity, I understand it was a mistake when you wrote about Normast-
the intended was Norvasc -
I however meantime got intrigued about Normast and looked it up.
is it available in USA or Canada? I would like to give it a try.

btw good luck with Norvasc.
Myself, long time ago I tried Inderal, without much success, BUT- in my youth - I was 25 and + at a time,
none of the available preventative medication made any impression on me.

Hopefully it's not the case with you.

Risa

Headache from hell this morning, but sinuses are acting up to. I had tried Lisinopril in the past, it helped but made my hair fall out so I stopped taking it. I think "Normast" may have more hope and plan to speak with my physician about it if the Norvasc doesn't work.

I asked for the Lisinopril but got Norvasc, if headaches continue I will call him Monday and insist on the Normast or Lisinopril, for the latter I will have to cut my native american hair, but hey, it would be worth it at this point.
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  777Trinity Sat 14 Jul 2012, 6:25 am

Porsche Fan wrote:Please let us know how Norvasc, (amlopidine) works Trinity. It's not often prescribed for migraine as it's primarily a cardiac medication to 1. control hypertension, and 2. to really treat angina and acute coronary spasm.

One of the largest problem with Norvasc is that it's chief side effect outside of elevating heart rate is that it actually gives the patient a severe headache. Hopefully you have good luck with it as it was murder with mine.

Diltiazem CD or Verapamil are good choices for calcium-channel blockers for migraine prevention. These meds mainly will not halt a migraine, but to help to prevent them.

I was treated with Norvasc primarily for cardiac treatment however it was discontinued due to very severe headache in me.

Good luck!

Some info on Norvasc.

Thanks Porshe Smile I myself did not understand how a med that relaxes and expands blood vessels can help migraine from coming, when I use a vaso constrictor to abort migraine. Had that conversation with my physician, however it went in one ear and out the other with him. Terrible headache this morning, however my sinuses are acting up, doesn't feel like migraine, so I am going to try to take this stuff through the weekend and see what happens. If this causes headache/migraine I'll drop it and go after my physician for Lisinopril again. As I said to cluelesskitty, I don't care if my hair falls out at this point with Lisinopril, I need something to change Smile
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

CORRECTION: Norvasc is new medication for me Empty Norvasc

Post  777Trinity Sun 15 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

777Trinity wrote:
Porsche Fan wrote:Please let us know how Norvasc, (amlopidine) works Trinity. It's not often prescribed for migraine as it's primarily a cardiac medication to 1. control hypertension, and 2. to really treat angina and acute coronary spasm.

Good luck!

After taking Norvasc Friday and Saturday morning, I ended up in the ER with a massive blow out of a migraine. Another "medication" bites the dust.

Some info on Norvasc.

Thanks Porshe Smile I myself did not understand how a med that relaxes and expands blood vessels can help migraine from coming, when I use a vaso constrictor to abort migraine. Had that conversation with my physician, however it went in one ear and out the other with him. Terrible headache this morning, however my sinuses are acting up, doesn't feel like migraine, so I am going to try to take this stuff through the weekend and see what happens. If this causes headache/migraine I'll drop it and go after my physician for Lisinopril again. As I said to cluelesskitty, I don't care if my hair falls out at this point with Lisinopril, I need something to change Smile
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

A well known migraine neuro (who then was on the board of ACHE), prescribed Norvasc for Anna in 2003 as a migraine preventative. It didn't help her, and she went off it when her legs swelled up too much.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down