The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent

4 posters

Go down

caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent Empty caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent

Post  sconesail Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

Hi All,

The migraines have been pretty bad for the past six-eight weeks. I got an IV of Depakan on tuesday and it helped a good deal. I had five great days- today hasn't been good, but I have been able to get stuff done.

Anyway, due to the fact that headache has been so severe for so long, I didn't feel I could stop the as needed meds- Tylenol #3 and klonopin- quickly. So, over the course of the past few days I have been tapering off. (Off Tylenol #3 and working on the klonopin.) I have also had a lot more energy. I have been able to do some stuff I don't usually do. Anyway, I called my parents just to check in and stuff. I had a good conversation with mom until she says, "What did you take for the headache?" I said, "just one klonopin." She said, "I knew it was something. you really shouldn't take that and so on."

Sometimes, I just do not understand this. It seems to be fine for others to treat their pain ( my mother has chronic back pain and does have to take some pain medication), but it seems like I shouldn't take anything for the migraine. I mean, I am supposed to pretend that I am fine around others, but if I take the medication as prescribed, I get yelled at. I am only on Ultram ER, Pristiq, and Zanaflex dailly. I have Tylenol 3, klonopin, ultram and benedryl as needed for pain. Unfortunately, I have had to take the rescues more than usual. I am allowed 4 t3 and 3 1mg klonopin. On bad days, I have had to take it 3 times a day, when I would normally only take one or two. I have never had a problem with medication. In fact, I am on far less medication now than I have been in years. My doctors understand it. I just feel caught in the middle. The strange thing is the fact that when I was talking to mom on the phone, I don't know whether it was the klonopin or the sheer joy of a few good days that bothered her.

I know the only thing I can do is push on. I have had this problem long enough to know what works and what doesn't. I just hate getting yelled at for it. I just hate the fact that I feel like I am "darned if I do and darned if I don't." It is frustrating.

Has anyone else here experienced this?

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent Empty Re: caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent

Post  Sara79 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

Not so much with the migraine meds, but my father (who used to work graveyard) had issues with me working nights and not being able/willing to make it to minor family events that were scheduled during the day. He told me that I needed to 'stop and smell the roses' on the fourth of July. After that I told him, 'Daddy, I love you, but goodbye,' and I hung up the phone on him.

It maybe time for you to politely tell your parents to butt out of your medical decisions. You're legally an adult, and I know you love them, and they're trying to help, but it's causing you a LOT of stress, and that in turn can make the migraines worse. You and your doctor are both OK with what you're taking, you've tried many different other meds, and you're not abusing the klonopin, so really, it's none of her business.

I know it's hard to tell your parents that, but it may be necessary. I know I had to stop telling people in my family what all I was taking medication wise, just because they seemed to think that needing a heatburn pill, a thyroid pill, a multivitamin, zyrtec for allergies, and as needed migraine meds make me a junkie. If that's what they think, I wish they could walk a mile in my central nervous system, to get an idea of why I take what I do.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent Empty Re: caught between a rock and a hard place- warning vent

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 05 Aug 2012, 10:16 pm

Sometimes, I just do not understand this. It seems to be fine for others to treat their pain ( my mother has chronic back pain and does have to take some pain medication), but it seems like I shouldn't take anything for the migraine

You hit the nail in the head here, Scone.
Dammit, I never notice this before it is precisely like you say!! Suspect
Yes, how come, other can treat their pain without any ramifications, but we can not???
How curious, innit?

Have you asked your mom this very question? I am most interested in her answer.. drumming fingers on the tale...

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 09 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

Sounds like a classic case of "Do what I say, Not as I do."

Scone, it's your health. A lot of people are in back pain all the time and don't take pain medication. So one, if they really wanted to, could make an argument about her use of pain medication for her back.

One of the most scrutinized uses of pain medication is for back pain. Anyone can have it, and it's hard to prove or disprove it.

PF
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

I know I have been round and round with my mother on this issue, especially since the fainting began. In some ways, I understand her concern and in others, I don't. I know that part of her concern is due to the fact that several doctors said that the medication was causing the fainting. It isn't. In some ways, I wish it did because that would be easy to fix. Right now, I am just sort of avoiding the subject. I have been on long acting pain meds in the past, and she has been supportive of that in the past because it allowed me to function. I came off them about two years ago.

I am not sure why she objects to the klonopin- though it does make me talk a little more than I normally do, and this could be the reason she objects. I recently spoke to a good friend and former roomate and she said "You are not that different, you talk more, but that is it." Right now, I am just going to try and steer clear of the subject as much as I can.

Thanks for lletting me vent.

Pain free days,
scionesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down