The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine and gluten article

+3
Cluelesskitty
7777Trinity
30yrsofheadache
7 posters

Go down

Migraine and gluten article Empty Migraine and gluten article

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 15 Nov 2012, 1:35 pm

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/c/123/157128/connects-irritable?ic=6047

Very interesting statistics! Sorry cant seem to make it "clickable". I am so bad with technology Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Hugs,
Cindy Rolling Eyes

Well, it does seem to work after all!

Last edited by 30yrsofheadache on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Migraine and gluten article Empty Re: Migraine and gluten article

Post  7777Trinity Fri 16 Nov 2012, 7:28 am

Thanks! Really good articles!

My Endo put me on gluten free a couple months ago. No real change though in pain.
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:49 pm

Thanks Cindy! I clicked on it easily, no slightest problems.

Yep, the link celiac-migraine is more and more discussed about.
I believe I read for the first time about people having less migraine episodes if they stopped eating bread and pastry
sometime ten years ago in Alive magazine. They didn't know then why it is that, but it's my good guess it could have been this gluten link.

Also, recently in our news they've said more and more people are being diagnosed as gluten intolerant and having a celiac disease.
How very sad, and curious. One of the ladies interviewed said she have the only gluten free- shop in her city.

Of course, my silly "ideas brain" immediately jumped to conclusion - only one?? with such stats?
heck, now it's the time to open more gluten free only
products shop, then.particularly, the children need it so bad.
only, eh, where's the money to start? grrr

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:48 pm

I cut gluten out for stomach/GI. Didn't help my head. Didn't help stomach/GI. I tend to stay away anyway, just gonna add weight ya know.

-Platy
Platypus
Platypus
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:56 pm

Yeah, that weight loss thing is a benefit, I've lost 24 pounds so far. At least I'm not dragging that around with a migraine to boot Smile
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sat 17 Nov 2012, 4:42 am

24lbs??? ! WOW!!!
congrats!!
cheers

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jules39 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 3:00 pm

Went gluten free back in September, had a major decline in migraine frequency. Went from a migraine once a day to once a week. HUGE difference!!! Best thing I've tried in 20 years of suffering.

Jules39
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

I'm not sure how long I've been gluten-free, it must be about six months or so by now, but I honestly don't know.....but I have seen a definite change in my migraine pattern, enough for me to stay gluten free.

Sadly, I have not lost any weight going gluten free, but that could be because I have not been weight baring on my broken foot for over six weeks.

When I went gluten-free, I removed most processed foods, so who knows if it is the gluten or all the added chemicals in processed foods. Either way, an improvement is an improvement. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:22 am

I'm glad it's helping some people. My house is gf, but that's because DH is a celiac, so the diet is very important for us. Regrettably, it's not made a difference in either of our migraines. I will saw that if he gets exposed, about 4 days after he will suffer a bad head day, but since the day before is the day he's a bad tempered beast, it didn't rate my usual sympathy until I noticed the pattern. Now, I just work even harder to keep him away. I will say that I do buy frozen meals for my lunches that I don't worry about the gluten status, and if I'm eating outside the house, I don't sweat whether or not its safe. For me, it neither hurts or helps.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun 07 Apr 2013, 8:54 am

I didn't notice a pattern myself until several attempts to eat wheat and gluten type grains. It was only after several months that I noticed a change in my pattern. Because I do not have celiacs confirmed as a dx I do not worry about cross-contamination, but I did figure I needed to have wheat once in a while to avoid having really bad allergic reactions.

I know this rational sounds weird, but there will always be points in my life where I may end up having gluten by accident (like at my mother-in-laws,) and when it happens I get sick. To avoid this reaction from getting worse, I would have some every few weeks in small doses. Well.....this didn't work for me, because I get too sick and really bad migraines when I have it.....so now I try to avoid it completely. I'm not looking forward to the next time I accidently get it.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:01 am

I'm just thrilled it's become more recognized. DH was diagnosed right after we got married, and at that time your options in a standard supermarket were meat, fruit/veg, and rice. And you had to keep an eye on the meat. Anything like bread, pasta, or pizza crusts had to either be mail ordered, or purchased at Whole Paycheck (whole foods). Nobody had heard of it, unless they were a celiac or someone sharing a kitchen with a celiac. I'm grateful that I had whole foods, older yet celiacs could only find one type of bread, and it was a canned product, that tasted like sawdust.

I have gotten a crash course in the ignorance of many Americans about where their food comes from. Once, early on, I had a waitress offer us a white bread roll, rather than the wheat. I couldn't believe that she didn't realize that white flour comes from wheat, just like whole wheat flour. Apparently in her world, there are fields of 'white' being grown for bread.

If any of you all want/need a good web resource, celiac.com has a forum. Scott Adams (Dilbert creator), purchased and set it up to help other celiacs, since he's one too

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:17 am

Sara, I have Celiac disease also. My younger daughter had a wheat allergy from the time she was born (she is 20 now), so I basically cooked and baked GF since then. I found out about my CD about 10 years ago. So, I remember when I had to teach the people at the health food stores about a GF diet!

I was so grateful when Betty Hagman published her cookbook. All rice or all tapioca bread was horrible. There are so many choices, now. I just baked everything from scratch GF for my daughters Bridal Shower yesterday. Everything got rave reviews and people asked for recipes. cheers
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down