The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart Stopped Beating

+3
30yrsofheadache
Porsche Fan
7777Trinity
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty Heart Stopped Beating

Post  7777Trinity Tue 20 Aug 2013, 6:31 pm

Has anyone had their heart stop beating when taking meds for migraine? It has happened to me on three different occasions this month. When I have to take Relpax too often and a pain medication to stop the horror.

I am afraid to tell my doctor because they might take away the medication to end the immediate pain. I really wouldn't mind that much if my heart stopped and did not restart, just wondering if that is what is coming.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty Re: Heart Stopped Beating

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 20 Aug 2013, 7:10 pm

Trinity,

Yes you should contact your doctor immediately. You are getting a change in your heart rhythm...either having QT prolongation and or asystoles (pauses in heart rhythm). generally if you have a 2 second pause, that's can be dangerous.

Combined with a pain medication, which can alter heart rhythm its a disaster in the making tripans can have a negative effect on cardiac rhythm. I have a pacemaker because of asystole and a couple other heart rhythm abnormalities. Someday it may just pause and go into arrhythmia and that's it. I don't joke about it. I lost someone dear to me to due to sudden cardiac death.

PF
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:07 pm

PI notes on Relpax.  Cardiac stuff starts in detail on pg. 7.

http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=621

I know you have discussed your previous cardiac issues and your feelings on the subject.  If you feel it's important enough to post a topic on it, it's important enough to see your doctor.

Concurrent use of medications that can induce changes in heart rhythm and blood flow can result in a negative outcome--you know what I'm getting at.

I don't how may people know here what it's like to have their heart stop for a period, then start up but it is pretty strange if not horrifying.

You don't want this to deteriorate into something like Torsade de Pointes then vfib.  Ain't no joke.

I don't know if you know this that migraine is considered as an angina equivalent.  Risking some pain medication over your life is a choice you need to make, and frankly your doctor will not agree with the risk/reward.  There are ways to manage migraines and to keep your heart safe.  Perhaps if your heart/vascular system is reviewed and maybe there's a treatment for an underlying issue your migraines can be effectively treated if not minimized or eliminated.

Just sayin'.....I've been down this road and back.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 21 Aug 2013, 5:31 am

Trinity, I am more worried about the fact that you dont care if your heart stops beating I love you I love you I love you ! I do think you should talk to your Dr. about both your heart and your thoughts. I understand your fear, though. I have been increasingly having erratic heartbeats with my beloved Amerge and Percocet combo.

I find sometimes I have to take extra Inderal to calm it. I have had cardiac work ups that show no problem, so I try to go on. PF, dont bother telling me how bad this is. I have "lived" with migraine for 40 years and I am tired of figuring things out. I await Menopause at which time I will get better or try a new plan:)  I am not making light of your pain, Trinity, I am very concerned.
HUGS,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:40 am

Cindy,

My aim was to post an opinion and experience regarding cardiac arrhythmia to the original poster.  My intention was not to offend you.

"PF, dont bother telling me how bad this is."

I'm a bit perplexed why you felt the need to post this comment.

PF.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Wed 21 Aug 2013, 8:12 pm

PF and Cindy:

PF, When my heart stops beating, nothing hurts. I just notice that everything has gone quiet and still, then it starts to be again. It's about a 30 second pause with no beat, a long time if you count it out. I am very afraid that my pain medication might be taken from me and if that happened and I had to endure the horrific pain....I am afraid to even imagine that...

Cindy, I don't mind if my heart stops and I die. I have suffered so much pain and agony, to finally have it all stop would be okay with me.

Like I said, it has happened 3 times this month when I have had a horrendous migraine, taken Relpax and then my pain medication. The Relpax is taking 3-4 hours to kick in and the pain just escalates while I am waiting. It gets so bad I can't bear it, every second is my worst nightmare. I am going to call my Neuro and make an appointment to see if we can get a stronger abortive med, maybe Frova again.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:50 pm

Trinity,

I am sorry to hear about this. From what you describe it sounds like you're going into an arrhythmia. If your heart stopped for 30 seconds without a beat you would faint. Your hearing would shut off, your vision would gray among other symptoms.

Please get this checked out asap. The feeling that you have no pulse can be a few types of arrhythmias. You probably do feel though when you gain a more normal heart rhythm.

Please take care and again and please get checked out asap.

PF
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

PLEASE, please make that appointment and please be honest with your doctor. If bringing up the subject is hard, print out this thread and take it with you.

I understand you're at peace with death, and that's OK. I've told many people, and all of my family that if I were to suddenly stop breathing/heart stops, please DON'T start CPR. But I still go to the doctor with any medical condition that I think I can treat or prevent.

This may just mean you need a change in your medicines. It also sounds like what you're using isn't really effective anymore, so maybe there is something that will help more and let you feel better. I hate how your 'voice' has changed since you had to stop (sorry I can't remember the med name), but you were so positive and happy just a few months ago, and now I think I can say we're all worried for you.

If you need someone to talk to, PM me. I'll call you or get you my phone number. I'm off work tonight, and can talk anytime between now and dawn tomorrow, but will even catch you in the daytime if that works better for you.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:47 pm

Sara I sent you a PM.
Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm

Sent one back, take care!

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Sun 25 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

Trinity,

First of all- we all care about you.

I know you have had a lot of pain in your life and there are certainly times when some of us just want the pain to stop.

Please at least tell your doctor what is going on. I am sure if you relay your concerns about the pain meds, he will listen. Triptans can cause heart problems- When I was 17, I was taking imitrex five times a week and my doctor had me stop taking triptans due to possible cardiac problems. You said that the relpax is not working well and is taking a long time to kick in, so it is probably time to change anyway. On the bright side, this may be as simple as changing medications and having a few painless tests-like a holter monitor done. It may be more complicated. But I think you owe it to yourself to find out what is going on.

I just don't think that 30seconds of asystole is good for anyone! Waiting to see what will happen if you know there is something wrong is not the answer. Please make an appointment with your dr asap.

Everyone here cares about you. You've offered great support and advice time and again. Just remember that we're on your side! I hope that things improve for you soon.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Sun 25 Aug 2013, 2:36 pm

Trinity,

First of all- we all care about you.

I know you have had a lot of pain in your life and there are certainly times when some of us just want the pain to stop.

Please at least tell your doctor what is going on. I am sure if you relay your concerns about the pain meds, he will listen. Triptans can cause heart problems- When I was 17, I was taking imitrex five times a week and my doctor had me stop taking triptans due to possible cardiac problems. You said that the relpax is not working well and is taking a long time to kick in, so it is probably time to change anyway. On the bright side, this may be as simple as changing medications and having a few painless tests-like a holter monitor done. It may be more complicated. But I think you owe it to yourself to find out what is going on.

I just don't think that 30seconds of asystole is good for anyone! Waiting to see what will happen if you know there is something wrong is not the answer. Please make an appointment with your dr asap.

Everyone here cares about you. You've offered great support and advice time and again. Just remember that we're on your side! I hope that things improve for you soon.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Sun 25 Aug 2013, 3:14 pm

I am calling for an appointment with my neuro in the morning. I had called twice but called to late Thursday and when I called Friday their office was closed for the day.

I appreciate all of you, its been rough. Yesterday I had another horrific one, I was laying in bed waiting for that heart beat pause, it didn't happen this time when using both of my meds. I guess that was a good thing. Smile

We'll see what happens with the neuro and how soon they can get me in.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

I'm keeping it short, my head's bad, but thanks for planning to make an appt!

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Mon 26 Aug 2013, 12:33 am

trinity,

as you explain your symptoms to the neuro, I think he may suggest you head to the nearest ER for evaluation.  neuros are not cardiologists or electrophysiologists.

his note he's going to receive from the nurse with your description (not trying to scare you--but this is what happens with any report of cardiac issues) is that you get evaluated right away.

neuros don't fix hearts, and he's going to want to check your electrical function via cardiologists.  after that, the migraine issue can be addressed.  again, this is my solid opinion from my experience and training--if you get this feeling get into the ER via ambulance.

I understand your apprehension and your feelings towards the whole medical/health issue.  But again as a cardiologist pointed out to me--if you're heart isn't working don't worry about the migraine.

And the cardiologists will work to help eliminate head pain.  As I've said before, if a heart problem is addressed, often times a headache/migraine problem is addressed too.  I've taken some risky moves by brushing off some chest pain only to suffer some damage.  It isn't worth it trying to be tough or ignore it.  

Just some thoughts.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty Neuro appt

Post  7777Trinity Mon 26 Aug 2013, 8:30 am

Thanks everyone:
I am on hold with the neuro office now. I imagine I will see him and then be referred to a cardiologist then back to neuro as PF mentions. Hopefully I can get in this week or early next.

Got an appointment with Neuro for Sept 6th, their earliest.

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sconesail Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

Trinity,

Glad you got the appointment! I hope that they can help. However, if it happens before then please call your dr or go to the ER.

Hang in there.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty Hope is a good thing.

Post  KimbaK Wed 28 Aug 2013, 6:59 am

Hi Trinity,

This is Kim. I just read your posts and am glad that you are still here. I don't post a lot but I do check and read pretty regularly. Sometimes I just don't have much of a voice left it seems. But I always take away something positive when I read your posts. You've fought the good fight and not lost the battle. That is something I desperately want, for someone to take something good out of my pain. To give it meaning somehow and make it less pointless. I don't want to suffer for no good reason. Sometimes I imagine that what's happening with me is going to somehow give medical science a better grasp of migraines so they can eliminate this disease in the future so no one I love (and maybe the rest of the world, too) has to suffer this way.

I understand the feeling of "I'm okay if this is it." I felt that way not long ago. My philosophy was that I would never look for trouble or do anything to hurt myself, but if it happened I just wouldn't fight too hard to hang on. This feeling usually came on after a severe and long-lasting migraine episode. Or ER and/or pain clinic appointment when I felt like they were looking at me as a drug seeker.

I think its normal to feel some despair with severe long term pain. How could it not be when that pain consumes every aspect of life? But during my good periods where medications manage the migraines well and I'm not laying in bed wondering if my life will be just suffering for ever, I want to live life to the fullest. Dr's and other professionals encourage us to keep migraine diaries so we can trick triggers, symptoms, pain level, what worked, what didn't.

I think they should also tell us to record the good days. I keep a pocket calendar in my purse and jot down things all the time. Not just the pain. I make notes on the days where I was so busy I forget my middle of the day dose of preventive pain med. I usually didn't remember this until my head kicked up, but hey it was good while it lasted. The 10 minutes on my exercise bike that felt pretty good (ok it triggered exertion migraine pain an hour later, but...)

Sometimes the good days are few and far between. Sometimes they aren't even good days, just an hour or so. And even sometimes in my good day reminders that I jot down, I acknowledge my fear that the good is going to end any second and the pain will crash down and drown me. Its a realistic fear and it is going to happen at some point.

"Hope is a good thing." Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption. Sometimes I just write that down somewhere. I have to remind myself that whatever this migraine can dish out, I can take it. Along with a boatload of pain meds and God willing, a period of unconsciousness.

I hope that you are having a better day and are ok. And if you want to talk, I will listen. PM, phone calls, texts, I'm a good listener. I was a Medical Social Worker when I actually had a meaningful life and part of my job was to help patients process their situation. And I think I know where you're at with the "whatever happens" feeling. Anyway, I'm here if you need a shoulder.

Kim

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Wed 28 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

Kim
Thanks so much.

I really appreciate everything all of you have said and taken the time to write to me.

I am wore out, today my chest feels so heavy and breathing is noticeable and at some points a challenge. I would go to the ER, but our medical bills are so large now, incurring another one just isn't worth it. I mean that, I would rather die than leave my husband buried in more medical debt. I can't get Life Insurance either because of migraines, at least not with State Farm Ins.

I hate how the lack of money effects our decisions on going for healthcare. I don't want us drowning in a sea of debt constantly because of me and that seems to be where we are. We just can't seem to get ahead and the migraine medical bills just keep coming in, MRI, C-T scans etc.

Sorry for the whining, I just feel like giving up the fight, its just not worth it.
Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty $

Post  KimbaK Wed 28 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

I hate the way money impacts our care, too. I am so far in debt with ER bills my credit rating is so low, I have to get my father to cosign to buy a car. I never thought I'd be in this mess at my age.

I understand about not wanting to add more to the sea of debt, but... one more bill for your medical needs to keep you alive is so much better than paying funeral expenses. And... what's one more drop in the bucket. They can't squeeze any more money out of you than you have so make it count. The rest of the blanket blank world will never look at us and see us for who we are so I'm not letting them dictate the little bit of control I have over this damn disease by denying myself care.

Hope you do go to ER, if nothing else it will let you relax a little more knowing that you have a medical team making sure you get enough relief without worrying that if you do relax too much that you might slip away.

Love and prayers,
Kim

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu 29 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

i recommend seeing a doctor or cardiologist ASAP. If your heart is being affected you really need to check it out. Also note that heart problems present differently in women than in men.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty Update

Post  7777Trinity Fri 06 Sep 2013, 2:42 pm

Went to my Neuro today, what a joke..... he said there is nothing else he can do. I can't have an abortive any stronger than Relpax 40mg and he will not give me anything AT ALL for pain. He suggested I just take Phenegren and go to bed?????? Really, a nausea medication for horrific pain??????????

That was my last visit with that nut. He kept telling me to go to Diamond clinic and get Botox, something I will not do.

I have called my PCP and am having them send a referral to my Pain Management Doctor I saw last in 2007, for a revaluation and treatment plan.

Meantime, still taking the heart stopping Relpax, which he said don't take more than 3 times a week...really??? Can you tell the migraines not to come any more often than that please!

Did not tell me to see a cardio, I think this guy is a punk.

Sorry for the rant. ( 3 head bangers in the last 6 days and working on a 4th) ugh......

Trinity
7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:09 pm

((Trinity))I love you 
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Heart Stopped Beating Empty What an a$$!!!

Post  KimbaK Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

What an idiot. Where did he get his diploma, a Cracker Jack box??? I hate stupid people and I hate them even more when they are stupid doctor people!!! Trinity, do not let this idiot get to you. It is so frustrating when the people who are supposed to be able to help you the most are the least knowledgeable people in the vicinity.

I have a pounder today, too. One of the ones where I am just hurting badly and just pissed in general. I'd like to come up there and plant my foot up his butt. Then use my other foot to do same.

I went to the pain clinic yesterday still steamed about last month's visit and alcohol use issue. I took all my meds with me and made a big production out of counting the pills in front of the Nurse-Prac. Of course, everybody was so darn nice this time it took all the wind out of my sails. But I think I got my point across.

I wish you lived in Texas, Trinity. I have a good pain management team (for now) I've been with for 8 years now. A few bumps and scrapes here and there, but mostly, I love my team. I have made an apt with a new neurologist in Houston. I can't get in to see her until November, but my Medicare will kick in by then so it won't cost me an arm and a leg. I read all of her patient review's and she received high marks in everything but wait time.

None of this helps right now, when I am thinking of going to ER for this pain. It just hurts. Am hanging in, but hurting a lot.

Love, hugs, and good thoughts,
Kim

KimbaK
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  7777Trinity Fri 06 Sep 2013, 4:20 pm

Kim

You made me smile Smile I have this wonderful image of your foot planted where the sun doesn't shine ..heh heh

Hopefully I can get in to pain management quickly as in within a week or so. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive from where we live (Lexington, KY) but he was a great doctor before we moved out here in "Bo-Funk Kentucky" Smile My husband is a Methodist Pastor and they ship us some where else every couple of years, the normal for this denomination, but sadly screws up medical care on a regular basis. Backwards area and half the population use Meth as their new moonshine. Really screws up medical for legitimate people.

Hang in there with the head banger, the first thing I am asking for is Xanax again, so I can put myself out when I am in so much pain. Now if I use the stadol and Relpax I lay there wondering if I am going to die...ugh this is the shits!

Trinity

7777Trinity
7777Trinity
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: