The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another dog passed away

+6
30yrsofheadache
Anna's Mom
Jewishmother
Porsche Fan
Cluelesskitty
Paradox
10 posters

Go down

Another dog passed away Empty Another dog passed away

Post  Paradox Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:42 pm

As those of you who know me know we rescue older dogs, six and older, so we don't have as much time with them that most people have.

Except for Lilly. She was our first basset and I got her when she was 12 weeks old. Nothing cuter than a basset puppy! Lilly was 10 years old. She also had a bad habit of eating things she shouldn't so when I brought her to the vet I thought she had gastritis AGAIN.

Instead she had advanced lymphoma starting from the neck down. She yelped so badly when the vet pushed on her tum tum.

We had to put her down two days later..she had blockage. But she was feisty to the end. Lilly was as sweet as sweet could be. Except when at the vet and she had to be muzzled. The vet did not want her muzzled at the end and I am grateful for that. So they gave her a quick sedation shot in the rump. She was sound asleep moments later. The vet was 3/4s of the way injecting the whatever it is they use and I'll be damned if Lilly didn't lift her head and try to nip her. She didn't get close, she didn't have it in her, but Lilly was Lilly to the end.

I was supposed to pick up her ashes Saturday. I wasn't able too. We've lost three dogs this year. We only have one left. She's a foster who was unadoptable because of her age and poor health. I have sucker written on my forehead so we agreed to keep her with us. But we also anticipated that she would be the first to go, not the last.

Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Another dog passed away Empty Re: Another dog passed away

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:37 pm

This is such a heartbreak, Charlotte, isn't it when our beloved animal companion die Sad
I don't have words to describe the sorrow that overwhelms me, and the sadness I feel for you.
Can only hope the time will heal your poor heart slowly but surely and you'll be able to look back at your time with Lilly
without pain but only with happy smile on your face again.

hugs
Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

sad.

very sorry para.
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

I am sorry for you loss.........our pets are our family and I always have to have a dog in my house as a companion. Dogs are wonderful comforters and I hope your memories of your Lilly give you comfort. L

Jewishmother
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

I'm sorry you are losing your fur kids, one by one Sad

My heart is with you.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 25 Jan 2012, 6:14 am

Oh, that is a hard thing! So sorry you had to lose another friend. Have you read the bokk "Dog Heaven"? It is very comforting when you are ready.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Wed 25 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

My heart breaks for you and your family. So sorry for your loss. My dog is the world to me and I feel your pain and sorrow. I am glad she had a wonderful home.

hugs to you and your family,

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:36 am

Hugs from me, and snuggles from my herd of furbabies cat cat cat

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Despite having to face the grief of losing a pet more frequently, you are an angel for adopting older dogs. I am fervently against breeding dogs. I know people enjoy having specific breeds but there are too many perfectly good dogs who are put down because of a lack of homes.

I respect the choice you and your hubby make with these older dogs. You've earned your angel wings in my book!
lesherb
lesherb
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

And Leslie, even if you want a specific breed there is more than likely a rescue for that breed. I would like my next rescue to be Prince Cavalier Spaniel, and yes, there is a rescue site for it. However, a friend of mine volunteers at a shelter and I have a feeling my next dog will be an 8 year old female shit zhu. How many times on this site have I mentioned the word SUCKER tattooed on my forehead? drunken
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:12 am

You are not a sucker, Charlotte,
you are an ANGEL !! a doggie angel,
and I am sure I speak for every each one here when I say we feel
an enormous respect and gratitude for what you do sweetheart, and thank you, thank you!

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

Sorry, this is belated, Paradox, but I'm so sorry for your loss of dear Lily (I don't get on here to read as often as I used to).

Even experiencing this many times, it never makes it any easier. I've lost many beloved dogs, horses and kitties. Each one is so difficult.

I agree in your "Angel" status. There's nothing better than a rescue pet. They appreciate you and your love all the more.

Hope you're doing okay. Please keep us updated on your next furry addition.

tecky
tecky
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down