The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are migraines really aliens?

5 posters

Go down

Are migraines really aliens? Empty Are migraines really aliens?

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

Sorry, thats how I feel today. Sometimes it seems to me migraines are an alternate life form put here to keep us miserable. Every time I find something to ease the misery a bit, something (aliens alien ) comes and snatches it away. This time its my sanity saving lollipops (dont like to mention the real name) that have mostly kept me out of the ER for the past year.

When I took my last script in, the pharmacy told me that my Dr. had to take an online course before they could fill it. I thught it was due to it being a new pharmacy for me. I had previously filled 2 others at another pharmacy before we moved without a problem.

So, I got a call from my Dr. saying she took the course, no problem. But, she did want to lower my dose. OK, I'll deal with it. Today, I got a call from the Dr.s office saying that my insurance company denied the Rx Shocked She wants me to come in to talk about it Crying or Very sad Cant get in till 15th of August..

Dont know whether to try to initiate an appeal or wait to hear what the Dr. says. I know this is probably a little tricky situation for her as well. Any suggestions? I feel the need for an antidepressant coming on!
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Are migraines really aliens? Empty Re: Are migraines really aliens?

Post  Cluelesskitty Wed 25 Jul 2012, 3:11 pm

I am so sorry Cindy. I hope everything will turn all right.
I suppose in the light of tragedy in Colorado theater, all the narcotic medications are under siege again.
Last night there was talk about the shooter being under the influence of possibly Vicodin. arrgh.

Hope the 'aliens' will take their leave, too. and pronto.
Are migraines really aliens? Hugs610

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  777Trinity Wed 25 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Cindy:

Prescription abuse is so big now that it seem's people who don't have a "visable" reason for their pain are under such scrutiny.

I wish I could "show" a doctor what migraine pain "looks" like...an amputation comes to mind. If a military person has a limb blown off, no problem with the pain meds.

Migraines are like a limb ambutation on tha pain scale, but because the doctor see's no blood, no torn tissue, it's questionable.

I hope your doctor can brave this out for you.
777Trinity
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:22 pm

Amputees get treated like drug seekers too! Anyone with chronic pain tends to get treated like crap. I wish they would finally find an effective pain treatment that isn't a pain med.

Sorry Cindy, I hope your aliens go visit someone else for a while!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed 25 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

Sorry you are dealing with this. If its the med I think it is, your insurance may deny them as they are only FDA approved for cancer pain. They can legally deny any off label claims. I had them deny to pay for Ritalin for me since I don't have ADD, even though its a $40/month generic med (probably less if I shopped around). They do it because they can. Some have stricter off-label policies (I've heard of some not approving an anti depressant because if was being prescribed off label for migraine...mine does't ask about that stuff).

You and your doctor can appeal, but I've heard its quite tough (they will say why not use one of the other meds on the market, even though they are quite different). I actually do have a suggestion--I've heard compounding pharmacies may be able to make something similar. Maybe the cost could get low enough to pay cash for some (no sure if it would actually be cheaper than a pharmacy...but I have heard these type of meds can cost several hundred or even thousands of dollars). If its from a compounding pharmacy, it just has to be a dose or formulation not available in stores.

I too hate how tough it is to get reasonable treatment for pain, but at the same time, 20 years ago they didn't even have these meds to prescribe and you wouldn't get anything similar unless you had cancer, so I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky to get anything. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu 26 Jul 2012, 5:01 am

Thanks Ladies! I may try the compounding route if necessary. Guess I have to wait until I see the Dr. to hear her suggestions. She really is pro-patient and I trust her to do the best for me. But, I still feel depressed about fighting the battle for so long (almost 40 years now). Combined with the Lyme, it gets discouraging sometimes!
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

I hear you Cindy Sad

I am going thru the very same thing as you, sweetheart.
For over 30 years for me, I feel my pain is being pooh-poohed and undertreated
and all my un-wellness blamed on the very medication I take, while I firmly believe it is something else.
So I have to fight all the time, too.
You have my sympathy, dear friend!

Are migraines really aliens? Hugs210

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down