The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions

3 posters

Go down

I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions Empty I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions

Post  sconesail Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

Hi All,

I had the IV of Depakan on tuesday and it has helped some- basically it got the headache to go down from the Absolutely Unbearable to the bearable and functional level. (ok, went in wth a 9/10, now 7.5-8/10.) It was still effective, but not as effective as it has been in the past.

This treatment- IV fluids, IV Depakan, benedryl, phenergan, toradol and morphine has helped for about 6 years now. Believe me, I am glad it still helps some. However, I really would like to get some new ideas or see if there is anything else that might help. My current neuro is good, but he is cutting way back on hours. He also basically stuck with the same treatment plan the old neuro had and pretty much the same meds too.

I know that my situation is kind of unusual. But right now, I think another opinion might be helpful. I was hoping that my old neuro, who just returned to UAB, would be able to help, but he is basically doing trials now and isn't seeing patients.

I feel kind of stuck now. I am not sure where to go next or who would be able to help me. All I want is a doctor who isn't terribly far away who may have some ideas about new or different treatments. I also know that the fainting makes everything more complicated. I was able to see the Dr who runs the headache clinic while I was at the Cleveland Clinic last yer. All he said was- "Well, you have been on about 70 medications for this headache, so I doubt the 71st will help. I can't even let you in to the program due to the fainting. If you did come back- we would take you off everything and see if anything helps as you are in rebound. Maybe you should go back to one of the inpatient clinics." My father then said, "you know, we havee done that and it really didn't help. You also came out on more medication than you went in on." He is right about this.

I have been to most of the major headache clinics over the past fourteen years- Diamond, MHNI, and Jefferson. The only one that helped was Jefferson. Dr S there was the one who suggested the stimulator and that has helped.

I am just not sure where to go from here. I haven't looked in to Emory yet, but I will.

I welcome any ideas or advice.

Pain free days,
sconesail

sconesail
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions Empty Re: I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions

Post  777Trinity Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

Hey:
Exactly what is your diagnosis? Fainting and migraine, anything else? I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time...

...so much pain and medications...I wonder if you could detox though. Our bodies become resistant to meds we use often and then they are not as affective anymore.

Is there any doctor who would oversee a detox in the hospital? That would only administer morphine and phengren until everything else was out of your system? I know I have had to detox myself on my own at home in the past because my liver was being damaged by pain meds and muscle relaxers. I went cold turkey for 6 months, no pain meds at all. Just Relpax and xanax.

Since I have been on the Lisinopril, I have not used any narcotic pain med in at least 4 weeks....great breakthough there and hoping to maintain that Smile

praying for you!
777Trinity
777Trinity
777Trinity
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions Empty Re: I think it is time for a new neuro- any suggestions

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

Hi, Scone. It breaks my heart to hear how many of us suffer so much! I have a very bad migraine today myself so I dont know how much help i will be. What about seeing the Dr. who used to come and give advice on our Ronda's site. Cant remember his name because my head hurts, sorry. He was so kind and knowledgable. Was it Dr. Robbins? I think that was it. Darn migraine brain. I would see him if I were you. I know you were looking for someone close to you, but thats all I can think of.
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down