The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse?

+3
tortoisegirl
milo
Greeneyes
7 posters

Go down

Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse? Empty Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse?

Post  Greeneyes Mon 26 Aug 2013, 2:17 am

I've had Botox done quite a few times now..every time I get it ..my migraines are always worse. My neurologist wanted me to get them every 3 months, but I don't think I can do that. This is driving me crazy! Help..

Greeneyes
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse? Empty Re: Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse?

Post  milo Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:43 pm

I have a bad time for a few weeks following each set....which is why after several years, I am suffering through not getting them to see if I can break the cycle.

Why does he/she want you to continue if its not working? Botox isn't know to start working mid treatment....if it is going to work it will be at the start of treatment.
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse? Empty Re: Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse?

Post  tortoisegirl Mon 26 Aug 2013, 8:01 pm

I've heard many times that Botox should be tried 3 times 3 months apart before giving up on it. However, I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone responding on that second or third time and not on the first or second. If something caused me pain, I would be pretty insistent with the doctor that I wanted to try something else.

Or is it similar to Milo that you do get some relief over the months, but immediately after it causes more pain? Either way, stand up for your choice. Did you ask your neuro specifically why? I've found most doctors do a poor job explaining their reasoning for things. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazel Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

I had a migraine that last for three solid months after Botox shots. Never again, for me.

Hazel
One star
One star

Back to top Go down

Has Botox made anyone's migraines worse? Empty Migraines much worse after 2nd round Botox

Post  Alisamon Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:58 pm

Yes! I've had two rounds of Botox treatment. The 1st round gave me some relief in severity of migraines. Since my second round 2 1/2 months ago, migraines have been worse than before Botox. I haven't had one full pain-free day since 2nd round and I've had many migraines that are untreatable (even in the hospital, where typically I can have at least some relief). It's been a total nightmare. I've been looking all over online to see if any other Botox users have had this experience & have only found a few others so far.

Alisamon
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

I'm sorry you are going through this. Indeed, we have seen some people go through this, but overall it doesn't seem very common. The injections themselves are a pretty traumatic event for your body, and trauma can trigger an exaggerated pain response. We see this also with dry needling and saline injections, where no medications are used.

Regardless, it is so frustrating when you hinge great hope on a treatment and it causes the opposite effect. I'm thankful mine still seem to work. But even with me, some times we do trigger several months if extra pain.

Hang in there!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:19 pm

I had several bad weeks after Botox and I've decided not to do a second try. My doctor says 65% respond the first time, and it goes up to 85% after the second time. But if it does not work for you by the second try then it's just not going to so don't bother to keep trying.

Given the severity of the migraine a week after the Botox, and then two really bad weeks ( worse than usual), I just don't think the risk of trying again is worth it. Particularly after hearing your story here.

I do think its worth trying at least nice, as it's helped so many. Just bummed not me.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  sick of pain Mon 10 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

I have been doing botox for about a year now with only about a ten percent improvement if migraines. They are ruining my life. But in regards to your question, I did have worsened symptoms after the second round which lasted 4 weeks and was associated with severe neck pain as well . Since then I have been getting botox but avoiding neck area which helped.Best of luck

sick of pain
new
new

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down