The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep Apnea/Migraine tie in?

3 posters

Go down

Sleep Apnea/Migraine tie in? Empty Sleep Apnea/Migraine tie in?

Post  Sara79 Sat 21 May 2011, 9:24 pm

OK, so I've been having the worst time ever this Spring. I've had bad allergy issues and I've woken up more than once with a bad headache that then becomes a migraine. DH had been gone for a month on a business trip, and once he got home, he said I'm gasping in my sleep.

Went to the doctor for the sinus stuff, and after hearing about the gasping he told me that in my last sleep study I had a few episodes of not breathing at a regular rate. It wasn't quite apnea, but it was a sleeping problem.

I'm getting scheduled for another sleep study, since my last one was in '08. Is it sad to hope I do have apnea, just to get the CPAP machine to stop the headaches?

Are any of the rest of ya'all sleep apnea sufferers? If so, would you share your experience with me, please.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Sleep Apnea/Migraine tie in? Empty Re: Sleep Apnea/Migraine tie in?

Post  Porsche Fan Sat 21 May 2011, 10:31 pm

hi sara,

i have mild obstructive sleep apnea. i tried cpap, but i actually woke up with severe headaches from it. i told the doc it sucked, and had an oral appliance made. i haven't used it.

there is some correlation but it didn't help me with H/A. i know from some other people's postings they think they've had an improvement. might be worth a try.

good luck,
mgb
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun 22 May 2011, 1:54 pm

Thanks for your info. I'm currently studying to work with people with breathing issues, and the instructors had us each try on a BiPAP (CPAP's big brother). I was the only one of the group who found the BiPAP comfy. That's why I figured I'd ask after I was working to get another sleep study.

My last sleep study showed I did have a few low breathing rates, but no true apnea episodes. It's kinda sad that I'm hoping that I will have apnea, just to try and see if the CPAP would help.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Sun 22 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Is it sad to hope I do have apnea, just to get the CPAP machine to stop the headaches?

On the contrary Sara, from talking to people online over the years, I found out this is a very common thread,
to hope we have something
which turns out to be either a cause, or partially connected to our migraine and also hopefully easy to cure
so once it will be taken care of, our migraines will disappear or at least will be less frequent and severe.

The literature on the subject says that the lack of sufficient oxygen to the brain may trigger M most definitely,
so you are right suspecting there is a link between your waking with a gasp and a headache following.

I hope you'll get the machine, which will bring you a lot of relief.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Mon 23 May 2011, 7:54 am

Thanks! I'll keep people posted as I know more, but the sleep studies have been a slow process in the past.

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

I just realized that I've left this hanging for nearly a month. Right after my last post the ball started rolling quickly...they called me that day, and I could either have my sleep study that weekend, or in July. I went in that Saturday. I did have enough apnea that I qualified for a CPAP, and I got it less than a week ago.

I got DH's nasty head cold about the same time, so I've been sick and can't tell if I've got my prodome, or just a headache from the cold. I will say that I havn't had any major migraine episodes in the last week, but I've generally felt like something the cat dragged in. cat I do know that I'm sleeping much more soundly, even with the head cold.

We've also had a storm front sitting on our doorstep for the last four days, so no major episodes is improvement, I just hope and pray it'll keep improving as my cold goes away.

Peaceful dreams everybody, I've been enjoying mine! Sleep

Sara79
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down