The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexpected support from a friend

5 posters

Go down

Unexpected support from a friend  Empty Unexpected support from a friend

Post  Paradox Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Hubby and I have a dear friend who lost his wife six years ago. Our foursome turned to a threesome.

He suffers occasionally from gout and is in such pain when it flares. But he's terrible about asking for or taking pain meds. We don't talk about it much since I take daily opioids and I know he really doesn't approve.

Anyway, today, I got him to the Dr, helping him down stairs etc, Sitting in his Drs appt with him, got his meds while he waited in the car, almost cried listening to him groaning as he tried to get in the car ( it was in his knee this time). This is the fifth day he's been down with it.

I got him tucked in to bed. More groaning, and the comment that the pain was making him sick to his stomach. I told him that's why I take zofran.

Anyway, he looked at me with his pain filled eyes and said "I don't know how you do it with migraines. I would take take this gout over your migraines any day". I was surprised. He's never had a migraine and so few people understand the pain they cause. I sarcastically said "Yeah, I get to be physically dependent on narcotics to get through my day. Not a route I ever wanted to take".

This man, who is afraid of narcotics, much less daily ones said "But, Charlotte, remember how bad your life was before you had the narcotics? You couldn't have taken care of me for two days. At some point you would have crying from the pain. Look how far you've come".

Folks, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

It was wonderful to have this unexpected support from someone who doesn't suffer our pain. I wish everyone understood! No
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Unexpected support from a friend  Empty Re: Unexpected support from a friend

Post  milo Mon 20 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share this story. Made me tear up a little. Smile
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

yeah, that was unexpected, and all the more nice because. heart warming, purrrr..

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

That's great. I'm so glad you have a friend who is truly empathetic. We all need someone like that.

alli
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  steph Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

That is so nice to hear! sometimes support can come from the most unusual and unexpected places! It is almost as if a weight is lifted off you and you just want to cry when someone acknowledges your pain!
steph
steph
Two star
Two star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down