The Fabulous Migraine Underworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bit of an update, overall 10 year period. Migraine content.

5 posters

Go down

A bit of an update, overall 10 year period.  Migraine content. Empty A bit of an update, overall 10 year period. Migraine content.

Post  Porsche Fan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:08 pm

ok, so it's running about 10 years now dealing with migraines. at this point, with complicated migraine that has strong stroke-like symptoms they are controlled as long as i take all my meds. weather and pressure changes trigger M's, as well as sinus infections.

overall, my health is complex. those who know billing, i'm a level 4 or 5 now for most disciplines. migraine has faded more as pain in the arsch, but it is ever lurking in the background. preventatives are cardiac medications, some supplemental hormones, plavix, aspirin. abortives are pain meds. that's it--we've found it's the most effective and causes the least side effects. nuycnta has worked well.

dual-chamber pacemaker placement has been successful in treating a complex heart rhythm disorder, which ultimately affects blood flow to the brain, thus having an influence on brain pain. throughout the day and night i have a much more constant flow of blood. much better.

i'm pushing now 22 meds. i don't need to take everyone every day, but a solid 15 or so. we think there is an over inflammatory process going on, which will be the next frontier. two areas of pre-cancerous tissue have been found in my esophagus and my stomach. my pituitary tumor is pushing on my optic chiasm, but is stable.

i've been exercising regularly and have dropped a decent amount of weight. this is good, however, i do not feel significantly better. in fact i am more sore. without the excercise, the light is dim at the end of the tunnel.

when people ask, are you getting better....that is difficult to answer. the best i can answer is i am holding my own. this is trench warfare--some progress forward, some retreat. each day is different.

energy levels despite treating a myriad of problems is not significantly better. we need to look at red blood cell production and oxygen transport. oncology will be taking a look. the neuro side is seeing the effects of blood flow issue and its problems. residuals from stroke, continued stroke risk, memory loss, and a few other fun things.

the positive. i am still alive. i get to enjoy myself on good days, and even do so on not so good days. as one my cardiologists says, you are going to live a long time as long as you take your medication and we monitor you closely. well, that's fun...in a oddly cheeky way.

since i haven't posted much--more or less not posting regarding migraine at all for a while, i thought i give the forum an update. i can't say i've beaten it. it's under control. at any time it can attack, but, i have enough artillery to put it back in its place.

so prevention, meds, excercise, attitude, and to be fair, money, all play a role in this. being your own advocate and learning the absolute most you can is important. credibility is key, and don't be afraid to ram it down someone's throat. remember, you are in charge and instilling a mutual respect is important. i do not have a general neurologist. i've found them to be less than helpful.

i did have my shoulder rebuilt in february. very slow process that required the coordination of not only the surgeons an PT's but my cardiologists. my shoulder is not 80%. it is sore, but strong. i can't swing a golf club without pain, but it is what it is.

the last 10 years have been tough going from doc to doc. watching your resources get sucked out of you bank account like a thirsty tornado. arrogant, aloof, and even unethical physicians at play, and playing against you. not to mention the time lost, relationships that never gathered, and the pain suffered. and those loved ones that passed during that time. indeed, it has not been fun.

so, i did not intend to write a durge, however a message of some of things that have been going on. so if i rated overall on a Likert scale (1 to 5) i'd give myself a 2.5.

mgb
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

A bit of an update, overall 10 year period.  Migraine content. Empty Re: A bit of an update, overall 10 year period. Migraine content.

Post  Cluelesskitty Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

You are one sick individual, Marc Wink
lolol
(anybody remember from which movie that quote is, because I can't recall, though?)

Marc- astonishing amount of um.. health-wise baloney is piled upon, you, you poor soul.
Wish things were better for you. How unfair! Migraine alone is enough of a burden to carry, and you had got so many things,
practically from feet to head! I am so sorry, man.

In a way, I envy you your great medical team that obviously takes a great care of you. At least you have that, and that's important.
Also, your discipline and determination because myself, I gave up about a year ago and can't even muster enough energy
anymore to plug in my Shiatsu massager that sits right next to me to massage my aching shoulder!
Hope you can keep up with that ((exercising) as long as possible, too. best if you continue to get better and better, dear friend!

Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

A bit of an update, overall 10 year period.  Migraine content. Empty Re: A bit of an update, overall 10 year period. Migraine content.

Post  Paradox Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:46 am

Marc, thanks so much for posting. I think it's rather a good idea if we all post our current status. We've known each other for so long that we assume we know what's going on but we don't.

When it comes to the migraines I have drastically improved. I started taking Cymbalta in the hopes that it would help as advertised with my lower back pain. It didn't. But it helped tremendously with the migraines. Yes, I still get them but not as frequently and they are seldom disabling. Weather fronts are still my nemesis and it is a bad time of year for me. Already I've had one doozy. For the migraines I use dilaudid, norco and vicoprofen. Yes, all the things the neuros say don't work, work quite well for me with no rebound.

I also have significant lower back issues. I'm on my fifth round of injections and have some relief. I take an ungodly amount of narcotics to get through the day. Oxycontin (time release...without it I go through mini withdrawal throughout the day), dilaudid, and I alternate vicoprofen and norco. Vicoprofen works the best for me but the Dr is concerned about my stomach so that's why I alternate.

I am also concerned about my stomach. I am starting to have reflux, waking up at night with vomit in my throat.

I also very much dislike that I am physically dependent on narcotics. Not addicted (I've gotten in to more than one argument with nurses about this, there IS a difference), but I can't skip doses, I will have sweats, stomach cramps.

I am still never pain free. The goal of pain management is to cut the pain by 50% and make in manageable. My neuro has done that and I'm grateful.

Two years ago I was very close to losing my job of 23 years due to lack of production and sick days. I haven't had a raise in 3 years due to poor job performance. This year I got an 8% raise, the highest in the building, and was told that my work and attitude is the best it's been in 10 years.

So I have a problem with Drs who say you must remain in constant pain because narcotics give rebounds. To me that is cookie cutter diagnosing. It wasn't until I hurt my back that I was given decent amounts of narcotics to control the pain. This was long before the cymbalta. I started having a life then.

Do I like the fact that I take so many opioids? Absolutely not! Dependence and constipation are chronic problems. But I have my first grandchild coming and am grateful that I will be able to babysit that child rather than living my life in my bedroom like I have for so many years.

Marc, do you mind if we use your post to catch up with everyone?
Paradox
Paradox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

I'll make mine short - I feel like..... ummmm, cr*p.

Risa
Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Mon 03 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

Thanks for the update Marc.

You must be one tough cookie going through all these health issues but I'm glad to see you seem to remain positive, and as you say, you are still alive!

Can't say much, not feeling too great myself at the moment, but it's good to hear from you.

Ruth
Three Star
Three Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche Fan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm

fire away guys.

i just wanted to say hello. i don't have a lot more to say about migraines that i haven't said already. many more things are going on regarding my health than migraines...even though i'm still having them. in fact i'm working on getting rid of one right now.

over the past 2 months, i've had 12 doc appointments. wow. my FP doc was off for 3 months, and tomorrow i see him. new practice starting up. it took me 6 hours of prep time to organize for his notes and staff, despite knowing them for years, for them to be prepared for me. wow.

nothing's easy. it's just a continuance of something else. but hell, you have to keep battling through--that's at least what i tell myself. i guess i need to believe my own propaganda....LOL. take care everyone!
Porsche Fan
Porsche Fan
Four Star
Four Star

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Hang in friend!
milo
milo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cluelesskitty Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:52 pm

You must be very patient patient Marc Wink

So may appointments, wow. If I have one every three weeks, I have enough. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
At least it's worthwhile, and it better be!

hugs
Risa

Cluelesskitty
Cluelesskitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down